Did Jordan play in a watered down era ?

LOLWUT!?!?!?!?! So you saying that Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Shaq,
Sam Perkins, Hakeem Olajuwon and emerging Kobe, A.I., KG, and McGrady were watered down??? I could add loads of other
player on that list, but man, you serious????

Originally Posted by Noelair24

Not admitting the league was watered down would be a mistake cause it clearly was.

The Guards were good but few then the League has so many Elite Guards now.
gary payton,penny hardaway, jason kidd,john stockton...are you kidding me...

this era of elite guards might have something to do with the fact that there aren't that many great big men

Not admitting the league was watered down would be a mistake cause it clearly was.

gary payton,penny hardaway, jason kidd,john stockton...are you kidding me...

this era of elite guards might have something to do with the fact that there aren't that many great big men

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by air force baller

get the F^&k outta here,

let me list some of the greatest teams/players

when he played the pistons, cmon son, the bad boys were on their prime.
Sonics, - Gary Payton and the reignman Shawn kemp!!!
utah jazz, with the mail man n stockton.
ummm...knicks,
houston.
Shaq, skinny 7ft on his prime.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.
JORDAN ERA___ The Hand Check rule..
besides, when the hand check rule change, the nba has become more soft.
Magic was past his prime when they played in the Finals, and the Lakers weren't exactly Showtime either.
As much as I love the Sonics, they were the same beneficiaries of that diluted league in '96. They won 64 games with one HOF'er at PG.
Utah was strong, but Malone was a perennial choke artist (see: '96 WCF).
Houston...well, the Bulls never had to play them, so I don't know why that got brought up.
Shaq wasn't in his prime the ONE series the Bulls played Orlando.
Knicks had a very good center in Ewing and....?
The list goes on? So what's the rest?

i'm not on some anti-Jordan crusade, I'm just saying that you can't blindly say that those championships came in the most competitive era of the NBA. He never faced a dominant center in the Finals (or in the eastern playoffs), and he was fortunate to have the best supporting cast possible in the second three-peat. Nobody wins alone, but in a diluted league, having two OTHER Hall of Famers definitely puts you over the top.

He brought them up cause they one of the elite teams back then and even though they never met up in the finals, the Rockets abused the Bulls constantly
throughout that time period.

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.
Magic was past his prime when they played in the Finals, and the Lakers weren't exactly Showtime either.
As much as I love the Sonics, they were the same beneficiaries of that diluted league in '96. They won 64 games with one HOF'er at PG.
Houston...well, the Bulls never had to play them, so I don't know why that got brought up.

i'm not on some anti-Jordan crusade, I'm just saying that you can't blindly say that those championships came in the most competitive era of the NBA. He never faced a dominant center in the Finals (or in the eastern playoffs), and he was fortunate to have the best supporting cast possible in the second three-peat. Nobody wins alone, but in a diluted league, having two OTHER Hall of Famers definitely puts you over the top.

He brought them up cause they one of the elite teams back then and even though they never met up in the finals, the Rockets abused the Bulls constantly
throughout that time period.

Have you forgot Barkley and KJ on the Suns? That was a great team. And lets put it this way, the 6'5 Barkley in his prime would body up any PF and even most Cs in today's game and throw it down their throats. And I love KG and Duncan, yet I know he'd demolish both of them.

The Pacers were always competitive because of Reggie. Maybe it's the inner Knicks fan in me that makes me think this as I saw some of those crazy games a child but I always thought they were decent at worst.

Grant Hill was one of the most complete players to every play in the league. Only thing that killed him were injuries.

Have you forgot Barkley and KJ on the Suns? That was a great team. And lets put it this way, the 6'5 Barkley in his prime would body up any PF and even most Cs in today's game and throw it down their throats. And I love KG and Duncan, yet I know he'd demolish both of them.

The Pacers were always competitive because of Reggie. Maybe it's the inner Knicks fan in me that makes me think this as I saw some of those crazy games a child but I always thought they were decent at worst.

Grant Hill was one of the most complete players to every play in the league. Only thing that killed him were injuries.

Looks like op has a new sn
eyes.gif

Looks like op has a new sn
eyes.gif

The league was not watered down it was just different. The reason people always compare this era to the Jordan era is because if it wasn't for Jordan basketball wouldn't look like it does now. He changed the game and it's stacked with elite guards now because all these kids playing in the league now used to watch Jordan and wanted to "be like Mike". So now we have a bunch of Jordan clones (*cough* Kobe *cough*) dominating the league.

There might have been some suspect teams in his era but there are suspect teams now. Are the Magic really that good these days like their record says they are, HELL NO. But they made it to the finals two years ago and got their @*%*% handed to them because they are a superbly overrated team. Every era is going to have its dynasties and its flops. To say Jordan's era was watered down is ridiculous. He created what we call basketball today and the game had to change because he was that good. And if you really want proof of how good the early 90's were you name one team on this planet (then and now) that could have competed with the '92 Dream Team. All the players on that team came from the Jordan era and and some were on their so-called decline as more than one person has said in this post. 

The league was not watered down it was just different. The reason people always compare this era to the Jordan era is because if it wasn't for Jordan basketball wouldn't look like it does now. He changed the game and it's stacked with elite guards now because all these kids playing in the league now used to watch Jordan and wanted to "be like Mike". So now we have a bunch of Jordan clones (*cough* Kobe *cough*) dominating the league.

There might have been some suspect teams in his era but there are suspect teams now. Are the Magic really that good these days like their record says they are, HELL NO. But they made it to the finals two years ago and got their @*%*% handed to them because they are a superbly overrated team. Every era is going to have its dynasties and its flops. To say Jordan's era was watered down is ridiculous. He created what we call basketball today and the game had to change because he was that good. And if you really want proof of how good the early 90's were you name one team on this planet (then and now) that could have competed with the '92 Dream Team. All the players on that team came from the Jordan era and and some were on their so-called decline as more than one person has said in this post. 

As much as you guys are naming the best players from the '90s, you're conveniently ignoring the flipside of that: the garbage that entered the league in the the bloated contract, expansion era. Rookies were overpaid, vets got ridiculous contracts and got lazy, six new teams allowed damn near entire rosters of guys who never would have been in the league otherwise. You can't just mention the top tier talent without talking about the riff-raff on the bottom end.

As much as you guys are naming the best players from the '90s, you're conveniently ignoring the flipside of that: the garbage that entered the league in the the bloated contract, expansion era. Rookies were overpaid, vets got ridiculous contracts and got lazy, six new teams allowed damn near entire rosters of guys who never would have been in the league otherwise. You can't just mention the top tier talent without talking about the riff-raff on the bottom end.

LOL at young people telling the 90's league was water down based on stats, then there is this "no elite guard in the 90's" reasoning. For people like me who grew up with 90's basketball, we know this thread don't give justice. We respect the great & remarkable talents of today, but to say that the 90's basketball is watered down, now that's disrespectful.

LOL at young people telling the 90's league was water down based on stats, then there is this "no elite guard in the 90's" reasoning. For people like me who grew up with 90's basketball, we know this thread don't give justice. We respect the great & remarkable talents of today, but to say that the 90's basketball is watered down, now that's disrespectful.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.

today is watered down era.

d.howard - magic
melo- nuggets
nash- suns
cp3 - hornets
d.will - nets
wade - heat
rose- bulls
kg,ray ray, truth- washed out stars
kobe - lakers

Originally Posted by Peep Game

get the F^&k outta here,

ummm...knicks,
houston.
magic johnson.
shoot. the list goes on.

today is watered down era.

d.howard - magic
melo- nuggets
nash- suns
cp3 - hornets
d.will - nets
wade - heat
rose- bulls
kg,ray ray, truth- washed out stars
kobe - lakers

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
laugh.gif
 so that means the era was "watered down" or that Da Bulls were just that good!? 
ohwell.gif

We are discussing a dynasty of the 90's which is arguably one of the best of all time...winning over 300 games in 3yrs 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
laugh.gif
 so that means the era was "watered down" or that Da Bulls were just that good!? 
ohwell.gif

We are discussing a dynasty of the 90's which is arguably one of the best of all time...winning over 300 games in 3yrs 
ohwell.gif

Just look at the dominant teams of this past decade.

The lakers and the spurs. Don't tell me the 90's bulls couldn't beat those teams.

Everyone points out the flaws of the 90's teams that lost to the Bulls, but point out one team that the Spurs or Lakers beat that weren't flawed as well.

I can draw a lot of comparisons from the 90's pacers/knicks to the 00's blazers and kings.

Just look at the dominant teams of this past decade.

The lakers and the spurs. Don't tell me the 90's bulls couldn't beat those teams.

Everyone points out the flaws of the 90's teams that lost to the Bulls, but point out one team that the Spurs or Lakers beat that weren't flawed as well.

I can draw a lot of comparisons from the 90's pacers/knicks to the 00's blazers and kings.

Back
Top Bottom