Did Rolling Stone Really Just Do That ?

Jay-Z stumble? As disappointing as the album is, dude went gold in a week. I think he's perfect fine.

If this was on Time it would make more sense because it's a news/current event magazine.
I don't understand why this dude is on the cover or Rolling Stone, a celebrity and music magazine.

I mean for god's sake, "How a popular student turned into a monster" and then they have Jay-Z and Robin Thicke's names plastering the magazine.
This is a celebrity magazine, nobody gets their news from Rolling Stone.

The problem isn't with Rolling Stone, it's with the news stations that talk about these attacks 24/7, that's giving these people the attention they want.  Not to belittle the tragedies, but if news stations treated it like any other story, then the attacks wouldn't have the effect these terrorists think they have.  It'd be like any other day and they'd fail to get their message across, which would probably make magazine companies follow suit as well...

wouldn't this be the same

Timothy-McVeigh_Time-magazine--230x300.png

Last edited:
This is a celebrity magazine, nobody gets their news from Rolling Stone.

This is also the same magazine that published political stories written by Hunter S Thompson in the 70s, and in recent history has had Michael Hastings and Matt Taibbi writing all kinds of long-form articles breaking and delving deep into current events. If it weren't for Hastings Gen McCrystal might still be in the Army.

McVeigh is wearing a prison jumpsuit with a stoic expression whereas the rolling stone cover is a smirking Jahar selfie, so not really.

Now the point of the article is to question how a seemingly normal looking kid could commit such an act, but I can see how the cover would piss people off. Like, put something else on the cover and leave that pic for inside the mag, for like the title page or whatever it's called.

Last edited:
We need to stop tossing the word sensitive around. Extremely poor decision by Rolling Stone, not because it is tasteless, but because they are glorifying Tsarnaev by putting him on the cover. The fame and publicity is why people like him commit acts like this, the Aurora theater shooting and Sandy Hook. The media falls for the trap every single time by giving these people the airtime they want. Someone out there saw this today and got motivation from it.
Perfectly stated.  Such a weak attempt by a dying genre of information delivery.  They have this dude posing like he's some pop star Bieber wanna-be.  Disgusting

They have to stop glorifying these clowns. Whatever the actual article may say, some loaner, somewhere saw the cover of this and got motivation from it to do something crazy so they can be a "celebrity" too.

And then not only to glorify it, but to use some semi model-esque selfie picture for the cover? C'mon man. :smh:

I think the pic was designed to show him looking like a normal pleasant kid which goes with the article about his violent transformation. I don't think the nice pic was meant to glorify.

Last edited:
Guilty until proven innocent right?

but magazines have to do something to get attention....no body is buying them anymore.

What I can't seem to comprehend is why the same outrage wasn't on display when the NYtimes posted the same photo for the Front page, as well as several other news circulations? Also, someone stated the article makes him look good. Please provide detail, or maybe even a hint of what actually made him look "good". The issue I've seen calls him a monster.

How's it any different to putting Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or somebody like that on a cover of a magazine?

The whole thing is that they're trying to sell magazines and get publicity, and it's working.

people are mad because he looks like a 60s/70s rockstar in the pic with "Rolling Stone" written on top. he looks like a cool, handsome, interesting, bad ***.

if they were to use this picture that we're all used to seeing I don't think people would be upset

View media item 502336
publishing the article is fine and using the cover picture inside the magazine would be as well since it would help to drive their point...but the front cover is obviously a distasteful publicity stunt.

How's it any different to putting Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or somebody like that on a cover of a magazine?

Here's why:
people are mad because he looks like a 60s/70s rockstar in the pic with "Rolling Stone" written on top. he looks like a cool, handsome, interesting, bad ***.
That's why people are mad. They glamorized him. If it was a regular picture there wouldn't have been a peep.

Back
Top Bottom