Did the Tiffs start the hype?

Quote:
it's more than just sneaker culture. people "camp out" for everything nowadays....kicks, PS3/XBOX, iPhones, Harry Potter, movie premieres, sports tickets, Black Friday Best Buy sales
ed buying things on their own

I'd say housewives started the campout trend, they would line up for all kinds of sales like Foleys Red Apple Sales hours before the doors open. And there were always store "grand opening" campouts to get a free whatever it was they were offering

But of course things have gotten worse because of the internet which made locating things and selling things much easier

Ebay is probably the worst thing to happen to shoes from fake bidding, to fake shoes, to ridic prices, to fake sellers

But I blame the internet as a whole, looking back, I don't even know how I knew when shoes would drop but somehow, some way I usually knew, that's when SLAM/Kicks mag was ultra popular and Eastbay mag as well. You were that dude if you had either in your hand as you walked into school in the morning. People would gather around like a sermon was in progress

From a shoe standpoint, I'd say the Retro Jordan I's that were numbered and the Olympic AJ VI's, first "important" shoe you almost had to exclusively get off the net. Even though the thread starter said non jordan shoes, I'd still go with these but yes, the Diamond Dunks were the worst example of "hypebeasting" at the time but is now considered the morm. The Tiffs always sucked the big one to me but eh, what can I do

Overall, the word limited killed the shoe game

Back in the day you could see someone rock the new Jordans and you could go AFTER school and cop them but now you'd be lucky to get certain shoes for retail if you get them at all

Glad I got all that out, now I feel better...lmao
If money didn't change you, YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH!!!

i remember when i had an eastbay subscription...i would show up to school with a new issue and it would be looked at like it was the bible :lol:
laugh.gif

I'm a hypebeast

correct if im wrong why are people saying tiffs? did we not remeber like i do, the fiasco that is PIEDGDON ( correct spelling?)

for me this is where IT began.

FRONT PAGE OF THE DAILY NEWS ?

does it or has it ever reached a peak such as that? ( of cours other sneakers have been in the media before) but ive always thought that that shoe took the crown as the single most hyped shoe release even surpassing the jordan cool grey's.

someone inform me

TEAM PS3
PLAY B3YOND

]

Quote:
does it or has it ever reached a peak such as that? ( of cours other sneakers have been in the media before) but ive always thought that that shoe took the crown as the single most hyped shoe release even surpassing the jordan cool grey's.
It is not the NSA, CIA, or our countries leaders who are to blame for our current situation. Rather, it is us, the crippled faceless masses who have willingly traded our knowledge of the truth for a life of ease.​

All I can tell you is that all you fools completely ruined it. I used to be laughed at (around 1998-2002 era) because I had so many pairs of sneakers. Now all these @#%$ came in and tore it to shreds.

I'm on the sidelines until all these dorks move on.

"Gentry Is The OG Killer" - 3thaman

^ I agree. I'm taking it easy until all this hype dies down. I'd say the hype started for dunks when Footaction started getting exclusive colors. If you don't think so, then you don't know the times when dunks sold for $19.99 on clearance racks in full size runs.
5 years on Niketalk. I know more than you.

beginning of the end. yes indeedy.
WANTED:STASH BW,FP STAB 1s,MITA95s,ZOOM95s,ALL SZ 12

:::THE BAY BEFORE IT WAS "THE BAY":::

Polo Don said it the best...well I feel the same way.

Then the bomb exploded in The Netherlands when the AMS AM1s was released.
We always rocked AMs but due to this particular shoe...HYPE became the regular.
Everyone skipped going to FL or other "regular " store for QK / Energy account spots...

SMFH.

Today's GRs are Tomorrow's Classics...
My collection

Team AM Fam

Amsterdam Is KING

Someone mentioned the "What the Dunks" earlier. Is there a clearer indication that Nike knows exactly what it's doing and what its status is in the world? This is probably the ugliest shoe in the history of footwear. And Nike knows it's going to sell and it's going to be a riot. It's almost like SB isn't even taking itself seriously.

My theory about SBs is that the initial creativity and attempts to link the shoes to popular culture (Heineken, Supreme Lows, Shimizus, etc) directly contributed to its oversaturation and current state. I'll admit unironically that part of the fun of SBs used to be that no one knew what the hell they were, except for the swoosh. Then once Nike released the 6.0 and journeys series dunks and skate shoes, what's the difference to the general public. It's true, Nike has kept the SB releases at selected retailers, but to 90% of the people who consume these products, there's no difference between what's at Kicks/HI than what's at Footlocker.

The cool grey 11 release was crazy. I was talking to the owner of a mom & pop store and he told me when he went to open his shop that morning there was around 50 people standing outside the door but he had already sold all of them prior to the release date. No one had ever waiting in line prior to that and he said he was scared for his life lol

The tiffany release I think was a peak for SB releases at the time. I remember the Heineken's also set the bar up a little higher. The Prior to that the Supremes were going for a lot of money too (maybe $350-400) but they were much more limited. I think sneakerpimp.com sold out of them at $500-600 each and had a ton of them before they were even released.

Quote:
i personally think it was the dr. doom dunk sb's. those were fiyahhh.
:smh:
smh.gif
Those dropped within the past year didn't they?

Quote:
The espos is what really changed the sneaker hype releases if you ask me back in January 2004
:lol:
laugh.gif
WASHINGTON ********
Super Bowl Champions: XVII:XXII:XXVI

Back
Top Bottom