Did the Tiffs start the hype?

tiffs were the beginning of the end

real heads know any good sbs can way before then

at this very moment when this pic was snapped was the peak of it.

rcmz5c.jpg

www.dyyhardsvault.com Authentic Shoes/Caps/Jerseys/Shirts here.
USE FREESHIPPING OPTION in Google Checkout til 10/31/07

Blog for new items/personal blog.

damn polo, thats a pic i havent seen in years... im gonna assume thats you in the center.

I still remember that morning like it was yesterday, cant believe its gonna be almost 5 years.

going back to the thread topic, polo's right. Back then, all you had to do was wake up early in the morning, head on over to your spot, and you got what you wanted. no problems at all. i remember running into dirty at the stussy dunk release and the line was roughly the same length. it was good times man.

i remember the espo night over at nort. it was indeed crazy. if lo71 hadnt tipped me off to alife getting them, then i wouldnt have gotten them. its the first and only time ive waited all night on line for a pair of kicks.

Times have definitely changed. Back then $300 was major bread to drop on a pair of kicks. Nowadays, $300 is the norm if you want something even "remotely" exclusive. Camping out was almost nonexistant, now its a normal accepted part of the culture.

Personally, i think the modern hype machine started with the first series Nike SBs. I remember checking ebay and seeing these hitting the $300 mark a few weeks after initial release. I remember reading posts where people were saying they never thought they'd pay X amount for a pair of kicks. I agree with the hype peaking with the Tiffs and now for the most part, I think things have leveled off, with the exception of these "ber" releases.

To think i thought it was a pain in the @#%$ to wake up at 7 to head to nyc to get on line....it'd be nice to be able to that again.

<>
yoRAJAH!

^^^(pic up top) Ur man is walking strong wit his hot, non-matching, too short, velour shorts. :lol:
laugh.gif
Maybe iss alright up top, but i'm from tha DC area and we need a lil more length. Not down to ya ankles tho, you need to go a lil further down for dat action. (e.g. NC, SC, other places I can't name)
Park in a driveway, and drive in a parkway?!?!? WHA?!?!? I think I'll just take "Flight"!!!

Nobody remembers the enormous thread on NT for the rayguns? I remember it being almost 100 pages or so?
teamautobot​
T R A N S F O R M E R S​

Why is just dunks and the Espos mentioned?
Remember the lines for the Cool Grey XI?
"They even talked bout Jesus."

I feel like Tiffs were what brought SB's into the mainstream. I've been suprised at the amount of kids I meet who arent even sneakerheads who know the tiffs. They definitely raised the hype level to a new high; I see the the What the dunks marking the end of it and hype declining from here on. I had only gotten into kicks about 6-7 months before the tiffs released. Had shops begun charging insane prices for sb's before they dropped? Cuz after the Tiffs i definitely noticed, it became accepted to wait in line/ pay double or triple retail for pretty much any hyped sb.

I'd like to see Nike retro some of the great sb's down the line. The dunk is still a classic shoe no matter the hype surrounding it.
CONNECTICUT CREW
C Sneakers are our Weapons of Attack T
Humanflight4 23 * BR1012 * kpoc * Kicks R 4 Thugs * COMPLEX I AM * GBdaMan * nschon​

i guess there were two points imo. the espo release was one...damn i remember espos were going for mad money on ebay and u could easily get the stash bws instead for dirt cheap on ebay...the next ones were the supreme lows...but as i remembered...u still could get a ds pair, any color for BIN prices of $350-400 on NT and ebay...but it was when the prices then skyrocketed to close to $1000 on ebay a pair...that was when it was the end of it....

My post wasn't geared to what started the hype but rather a history lesson hype pertaining to SB's. There is one shoe that started the hype, and one only, if you were not in the game back them you really cant even understand, it was the Cool Grey Jordan 11's, March 2001. That was the shoe that kicked off this whole thing and started the domino effect we still see today.
Plumps exactly right $300 was considered huge back then. When the first SB's came out ebay prices of Ginos and Mulders were around $100-$140 and Supas $130-$160 and this was considered very high then. When the Zoo Yorks and Chocolates came out a few months later and prices hit $350-$450 it was considered astronomical. Even the Denims could be hd for under $500 at some point. These are shoes with less than 250 pairs in the world. You put out something like that now and its hitting $1200+ easy. People dont even blink to pay $300-$400 for shoes today.
Actually its really sad what its became. There hasnt been a shoe in years, that I just had to have. Jordan brand is so far in the gutter its rediculous, this whole 25th anniversary Air Force 1 thing backfired on Nike, and overall its just not fun anymore.
It is not the NSA, CIA, or our countries leaders who are to blame for our current situation. Rather, it is us, the crippled faceless masses who have willingly traded our knowledge of the truth for a life of ease.​

I always thought the hype started when the Supremes came out...Speaking of which, I need a pair of the lows or highs.
AIM: marc is like

Quote:
i wouldn't say it's accepted by all sneakerheads...it's a part of current culture, yes.

it's more than just sneaker culture. people "camp out" for everything nowadays....kicks, PS3/XBOX, iPhones, Harry Potter, movie premieres, sports tickets, Black Friday Best Buy sales.... and a good chunk of the camping out is for the purposes of reselling. everybody wants to be in on the hype and/or everybody wants to make a quick buck... consumer culture is sad nowadays....
...it is what it is.

I know I didn't even pay attention to Dunks and really didn't know what one was until I saw the TIffs come out..then I saw espos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

Tiffs did not start the HYPE.... HYPE was fully sprouted already....

HYPE started when KTOWN posted his stock pics of his 1st series SBS....

and thats the TRUTH..
<

osyrhiz@gmail.com....aim: osyrhiz

Quote:
In SB's....first supremes
010025.jpg

I remember when this shoe dropped, sold out first day (the first colorway), Senior year of highschool times were good, but i also remember the white/cements were still available for some time later.

yeah i believe it was supremes. tiffs just made it more crazy.
TEAM STARCRAFT
Zealot - Dark Templar - High Templar - Twilight Archon - Colossus - Stalker - Immortal
Observer - Phase Prism - Stasis Orb - Phoenix - Warp Ray - Carrier - Mothership

man, if only i could go back a few years and take screenshots at ended ebay listings...

i remember supreme lows selling for 330 bucks DS in size 10. ahhh..the good ol days.
The Esoteric Elite Clothing Company
View our Fashion Blog HERE
NT FAM gets 20% off!!Discount Code :"NTFAM"

Been in it from the start....I say the SB's that started it was the Denim Dunks to start it all snowballing. Also the pre Prototypes of Dunks like the Alpha Numeric and Grip Tapes helped spark everything.
"you think you tight...I think you need to loosen up" -Notion

Back
Top Bottom