Dirk Nowitzki Ready to Opt Out... per sources/Marc Stein (*Breaking News*)

at all the people talking about they want dirk on their team. have y'all really seen this dude play in dallas, not just the highlights on ESPN when his jumper is on? you really want a 7 footer that consistently settles for jump shots or fade aways, rather than drive to the basket for easy twos or and1's? i won't even discuss the no defense policy he has.

roll.gif
Oooookaaay. Dirk can attack the basket, trust me. Dirk has had a few bad Playoff series, sure, I'll readily admit that, but this team's success has ALWAYS been Dirk, ALWAYS.

Mavs fans love to downplay Dirk's teammates in order to pump Dirk up, while giving Dirk all the credit and then dispersing the blame to everyone else. Dirk has had better supporting casts in his career than everyone save for Shaq, Kobe, and maybe a close tie with KG.

He played with the 2 time MVP for *!$%# sake

What? Detroit, and the San Antonio teams were GREAT teams. If Dirk had a guard who could slash to the basket like Ginobili could, had a great center in David Robinson, or a phenomenal PG like TP at his side...
grin.gif

Nash is a whole different cat in Phoenix, don't act like he's even close to what he was in Dallas.

Mavs fans....would you be content in keeping Dirk with the possibility that he's further away from a championship in Dallas, or would you be ok in seeing him leave to get a better shot at getting a ring? Can you respect his decision as a player if he decides to leave?

I obviously want to keep Dirk, but if he walked away I would respect that decision, he's dedicated over 10 years of his life to this team, and done whatever he could to try and help this team succeed. Why do I think he'll stay? Because that same team who he's dedicated his life to, has dedicated the entire franchise to him. He won't have that ANYWHERE else he goes. I just don't see him going anywhere else.

No one expected Nash to leave Dallas, but he did. I wouldnt count out Nowitzki going to a team with another legitimate superstar (ie Lebron, D12,) or even to Phoenix to re-team with Nash, especially if the resign Amare.

COMPLETELY different. Nash, we wanted to retain, and we COULD have retained if we would've paid the money, but we decided not to. It's well-known (at least by Dallas fans) that Mark basically said "look, we would love to have you back, but we can't pay you the money that Phoenix is offering, we wish you the best." Dirk, we're going to keep if money is an issue. If he wants to move on to try and find a ring, so be it. It'd be interesting to see what direction this franchise takes if he does leave though.

Whatever happens, I hope he puts a clause in his new contract that states that he will not play with little doofuses named J.J.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just curious, KLJ, what do you think of Beaubois? Or do you not have an opinion?

And for those of you thinking he only has 3ish years left, the man doesn't rely on pure athleticism to succeed, he IS a jumpshooter, but he's still shown the capacity to be crafty around the basket.

High-flyers who rely on athleticism burn out young, not guys like Dirk. That's why you still see Jesus succeeding so old.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Mavs fans....would you be content in keeping Dirk with the possibility that he's further away from a championship in Dallas, or would you be ok in seeing him leave to get a better shot at getting a ring? Can you respect his decision as a player if he decides to leave?
Whether he stays or not, I'll always be a Dirk and Mavericks fan. If he has to pull a KG and jump into a better team, then I'll have no problem with it.

Originally Posted by 35KD

Originally Posted by jretro23

dirk is re-signing for less money. then it's lebron to dallas
nerd.gif

*insert praying pic/gic*
It doesnt matter if Dirk says he will play for $1.00, the Mavs still cant sign LeBron James. It would still have to be a sign and trade.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Dirk has had better supporting casts in his career than everyone save for Shaq, Kobe, and maybe a close tie with KG.

He played with the 2 time MVP for *!$%# sake
Name a legit #2 scoring option Dirk has played with? Jason Terry? No. Jason Kidd? Hell No. Dampier? Hell no. Shawn Marion? Nope. Devin Harris? Maybe, but he wasnt used as a scorer first here. Dirk has played with one other legit scorer/all-star and that was Josh Howard for the one above average season he had. Dirk has never had his Robin like Duncan, Kobe, Garnett have had when they won their titles.

And Steve Nash wasnt a two time MVP when he played in Dallas and never played how he plays for Phoenix when he was with Dallas. %$!@$ about it all you want, but the Steve Nash that played for Dallas isnt the same on who plays for Phoenix. Plus, the Mavs got further in the playoffs w/o Nash then they did with him.

Nick Van Exel was a beast when he was here Trelvis. If not for him, and even old $%$ Walt Williams, I don't think we would have beat the Kings that yr. Of course, we also have to thank Webber's knee for getting hurt.

Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, Nick Van Exel, Antoine Walker, Shawn Marion, and Caron Butler are all 2nd option scorers.

How much better did Nash get between his last yr in Dallas and his first year in Phoenix? At age 30 I remind you.

You just won't win a championship with Dirk as your best guy, especially if you couldn't do so in 06 which was the best perfect storm of situations. I think his best bet is to go to Phoenix, or go somewhere with someone else this offseason and do the 1a/1b thing. How many different combinations will they continue to try before just accepting it.

Mavs (Dirk-era) with titles
Antoine Walker
Michael Finley
Josh Powell
DJ MBenga
Nick Van Exel
Avery Johnson (prior to)
Devean George (prior to)
Eddie Jones (prior to)
Scott Williams (prior to)
Johnny Newman (prior to)

Mavs who were all stars along side Dirk
Michael Finley
Steve Nash
Josh Howard
Jason Kidd

Mavs who were all stars prior to being Mavs
Jerry Stackhouse
Nick Van Exel
Eddie Jones
Shawn Marion
Caron Butler
Antoine Walker
Jason Kidd

Mavs who went on to become all stars post Mavs
Antawn Jamison
Devin Harris

Other Award winners Mavs
6 M.O.T.Y Jason Terry (alongside Dirk)
C.O.T.Y Avery Johnson (while coaching Dirk)
C.O.T.Y Rick Carlisle (prior to)
Winningest Coach Total Don Nelson

Nick Van Exel was a beast when he was here Trelvis. If not for him, and even old $%$ Walt Williams, I don't think we would have beat the Kings that yr. Of course, we also have to thank Webber's knee for getting hurt.

Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, Nick Van Exel, Antoine Walker, Shawn Marion, and Caron Butler are all 2nd option scorers.

How much better did Nash get between his last yr in Dallas and his first year in Phoenix? At age 30 I remind you.

You just won't win a championship with Dirk as your best guy, especially if you couldn't do so in 06 which was the best perfect storm of situations. I think his best bet is to go to Phoenix, or go somewhere with someone else this offseason and do the 1a/1b thing. How many different combinations will they continue to try before just accepting it.
I hate when people say this, how do you know, Dirk has been one of the 10 best players of this decade, a Hall of Famer, and one of the greatest power forwards to ever lace em up, if you can't win with him WHO the @%*$ are you going to win with?
laugh.gif

Mavs who were all stars prior to being Mavs
Jerry Stackhouse
Nick Van Exel
Eddie Jones
Shawn Marion
Caron Butler
Antoine Walker
Jason Kidd

i hope the mavs stop being some sort of a garbage bin
ohwell.gif

and all those guys aren't really the second scorer type guys you need to win a championship, to win a chip you need two basically franchise players, two guys capable of being the number one option in an offense. Look at all the past winners and see if there second options resemble Caron #!$$$*$ butler or Jason Terry.

Kobe, Pau
Garnett, Pierce
Duncan, Manu
Shaq, Wade
Chauncey, Rasheed
Shaq, Kobe
Jordan, Pippen
Hakeem, Drexler
Hakeem*
Isiah, Dumars
Magic, Kareem

People don't understand, championship teams have two players who could be number one options on winning teams.

The "2nd option" 90% of the time are former franchise players or future hall of famers, you don't win chips with Caron Butler as your second option, just doesn't happen. Hakeeem Olajuwan and Tim Duncan are really the ONLY guys history who have won championships without a reliable second option. Jordan never did it, Shaq, nor Kobe. 

Originally Posted by WALTER MERCADO

Dirk would kill in Miami. He should leave Dallas. Dallas aren't going to be any better and without him they'll be nothing.

Or Wade could just come to Dallas

Good list, here is the thing though. Dirk is one of five players to average 25 and 10 for his playoff career. His playoff numbers are better than his regular season numbers. Most of the time his supporting cast has failed to show up in the playoffs. Yes, Dirk is accountable for a couple of the losses, but for the most part, he shows up and does his thing. He roasted Denver in the playoffs last year but had absolutely no help.

If you look at Steve Nash's numbers after he left, his ppg increased, his fg percentages with Phoenix are better in every year than when he was with the Mavs, and his assists per game when up dramatically. It isnt all about the numbers though. Nash is in a system now that is built around him to succeed. That was never going to be the case in Dallas. I watched Nash play for Dallas and watch him play for Phoenix and he plays much better with the Suns than he EVER did with with the Mavericks. As I said before also, the Mavs had more success w/o Nash then they did with him.

Go take a look at what Jason Terry has done in the playoffs over the past few years. He has failed to show up. All of his playoff numbers are down from his regular season numbers. He played a big roll in the year Dallas went to the Finals but since then, he has been very inconsistent like he has for most of his career.

I will give you Michael Finley, I try to block him out of my mind because I was never a fan of his.

Josh Howard was an All-Star one season and he wasn't even voted in, he was a replacement. Josh is arguably the best player Dirk has had along side him in his prime. I loved Josh Howard but somewhere something went wrong. This situation still baffles me. With that said, you really think Kobe would be winning titles if Josh Howard was the best player playing with him?

I dont know what this section has to do with anything...

Mavs (Dirk-era) with titles
Antoine Walker
Michael Finley
Josh Powell
DJ MBenga
Nick Van Exel
Avery Johnson (prior to)
Devean George (prior to)
Eddie Jones (prior to)
Scott Williams (prior to)
Johnny Newman (prior to)

You trying to say DJ Mbenga and Antoine Walker are better than Dirk cause they have titles? Most of those dudes on that list are role players at best. Antoine Walker is a joke, Van Exel was good here but still a roll player.

Mavs who were all stars along side Dirk
Michael Finley
Steve Nash
Josh Howard
Jason Kidd
Both Kidd and Josh Howard were replacements....

My whole point is, Dirk has beasted for most of his playoff career but one bad series has pretty much labeled him for life. He has lead a team to 50 wins for 10 straight seasons, 10 straight playoff appearances. He has averaged over 25 points per game in every year of the post season except for three. He is 3rd in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes in the playoffs.

I am going to post this to post it, but at this point Im not sure what I am arguing about.

I think of the Mavs biggest mistakes was firing Avery Johnson. He pushed those guys HARD, and was just used as a scapegoat, IMO.

I mean, Dirk hasnt been surrounded with horrible players throughout his time in dallas like lebron is. he just needed more help. cuban's tried to do as much as he can, its just that he falls short everytime.

Dam, i guess the theme of this summer is to jump ship huh?

Apparently kobe is the only person in the league with a good team around him.

Seems like its all or nothing for u guys, if u havent won a chip yet either youre trash/overated or have never had a good teamate.

There is no perfect team for these guys to go to and suddenly get it done, all teams have flaws somewhere.

He should go back to the team that drafted him.

Jennings + Redd + Salmons + DIRK + Bogut
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

No one expected Nash to leave Dallas, but he did. I wouldnt count out Nowitzki going to a team with another legitimate superstar (ie Lebron, D12,) or even to Phoenix to re-team with Nash, especially if the resign Amare.

COMPLETELY different. Nash, we wanted to retain, and we COULD have retained if we would've paid the money, but we decided not to. It's well-known (at least by Dallas fans) that Mark basically said "look, we would love to have you back, but we can't pay you the money that Phoenix is offering, we wish you the best." Dirk, we're going to keep if money is an issue. If he wants to move on to try and find a ring, so be it. It'd be interesting to see what direction this franchise takes if he does leave though.

Revisionist history by Mavs fans.

Cubes refused to pay $60 million for Nash, but subsequently signed Erick Dampier for $73 million.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by throwback1718

Dirk
Lebron
Bosh

All on the Knicks!

I can dream, right?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dirk + Bron = wrap

You alread know, im preety sure dude is going, damn man for some reason i can't win on the west, every year im beating my self

let me go to the east..

Knicks baby   

The primary reason Nowitzki seems to be headed to an opt-out is because, according to the source, he's willing to work with the team for the future health of the organization and his financial security. It allows him to sign a new contract that would be for four years and could start at a lower dollar figure than the $21.5 million he's due next season under his current deal.

Originally Posted by outkast9984

he isnt going anywhere so i dont know why everyone is getting excited

this. didnt tim duncan sign for less awhile back? not saying dirk will take less money, but he is restructuring his contract so dallas has more flexibility and money for next year

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

The primary reason Nowitzki seems to be headed to an opt-out is because, according to the source, he's willing to work with the team for the future health of the organization and his financial security. It allows him to sign a new contract that would be for four years and could start at a lower dollar figure than the $21.5 million he's due next season under his current deal.

Plus I keep hearing a no trade clause is big for him and they wouldnt be able to add that it if he had just decided to add years on to the current contract.

Back
Top Bottom