DISNEY Classics Live-Action Remakes - The Little Mermaid opens 05/26/23

Just came back from Aladdin

It was actually decent
Naomi Scott is a star
Mena wasn't bad
I'm a fan of Nasim Pedrad since SNL -- good to see her in this

The choreography was on point, especially the credits dance
It was hard to reconcile Will in this -- it was more of Will being Will -- reminiscent of his movie Hitch

It was actually decent
Naomi Scott is a star
Mena wasn't bad

It was hard to reconcile Will in this -- it was more of Will being Will -- reminiscent of his movie Hitch
/8?

Is this the type of movie I should see in Dolby Cinema or XD?

It was actually decent
Naomi Scott is a star
Mena wasn't bad

Thoughts...

Mena Massoud was a decent Aladdin.

Naomi Scott looked like a real Princess Jasmine.

Will Smith as the Genie was good. The Genie effects were fine.
While he has a lot of charisma, he was never going to be as insane as Robin Williams was.

Jafar, on the other hand, looked about as intimidating as a hall monitor though. I never saw him as a real threat to Aladdin (or Agrabah).

This film isn't going to replace the 1992 animated classic by any means, but I felt that it did its job.

I certainly didn't leave the theater thinking the movie sucked or anything.

Wasn’t bad at all. Not great either. Just good. Naomibae though. Forgot how fine she was since the pink ranger.

anyone who saw aladdin see beauty and the beast?

i thought BATB was excellent lol wondering how it compares

Disney’s Aladdin is off to strong start after $7 million in Thursday night previews that began officially at 6 PM yesterday, preceded by 5 PM fan events. That figure is exceedingly better than the frumpy Thursday night start of Dumbo, which only snorted up $2.6M for a $46M weekend.

Might watch tonight. But wife seems more interested in John Wick lol

Saw Aladdin. Film was okay but nowhere near the OG. Jafar and Iago were wild buns. Aladdin was cool, Jasmine too. Will Smith was okay as Genie, much better than what those early images led us to believe. Personally, I think these live action remakes are all pointless but I guess it's a way to reach younger audiences.

The Lion King on Track to Rule Summer Box Office with Record-Breaking Debut

Disney's upcoming reimagining of The Lion King is poised to be one of the biggest hits of the summer, if early box office tracking is to be believed. This is one of three similar live-action remakes that Disney has coming out in 2019.

Early box office tracking has the movie bringing in between $180 and $230 million on opening weekend. Even on the low end, that would mean The Lion King would have the biggest opening weekend for one of these Disney reimaginings to date. At present, 2017's Beauty and the Beast is on top, having earned an impressive $174.7 million on its opening weekend, on its way to a tremendous $1.26 billion global take. That bodes very well for this Jon Favreau-directed remake of the beloved 1994 animated classic.

Assuming The Lion King cracks the higher end of those box officeprojections, it will earn its place amongst the biggest opening weekends ever at the box office. It won't get anywhere near Avengers: Endgame, which shattered the record with a $357.1 million opening just last month. However, it could conceivably overtake Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($220 million) for the number four spot. Either way, even on the low end, it could very easily crack the top ten, coming in just above Captain America: Civil War ($179.1 million). Really, this is just going to continue the pattern of Disney competing with itself.

box office projection not up to $95m from $80 most predicted

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Looking At $95M+ In Memorial Day Riches – Midday Box Office Update

At this time we can tell you that Disney’s Aladdin is off to a healthy start at the domestic box office with a $28 million-$30 million Friday (including $7 million in Thursday’s previews). It is now expected to hit $80 million over three days and $95 million over the full four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend frame.

I knew the 7 million Thurs was nothing to worry about.

Aladdin was just not the type of movie that people felt the need to rush out the first day to see.

I'm seeing it tonight.

Not buying the Lion King tracking numbers, that is if that’s domestic OW they’re projecting

I was going through the thread and I found some interesting posts:

I just recently watched Pocahontas and was amazed at how beautifully animated that movie is. It’s has some of the most beautiful scenes in animation IMO.

That whole Disney animated renaissance in the 90’s was beautifully crafted. You’ll see that same beauty in Aladdin, Hunchback and even A Goofy Movie. The animators were on some strong drugs during that time.

Disney was the first studio to use digital ink and paint. They had their own proprietary system called CAPS (Computer Animation Production System).

It was developed by Pixar.

It's how Disney was able to stay ahead of everyone in hand-drawn animation quality.

Last edited:
Make sense with how fluid the animation was. It’ll be little nuanced details like Simba’s mane being wet or Hercules battling the multi headed serpent that just looks way to unbelievably realistic even from an animation perspective to solely be hand drawn.

Back
Top Bottom