Do you consider Joe Buddens a One Hit Wonder?

I only best know Joe Budden for Pump It Up. It's like only song I ever liked from him.

Now after he came back after his mainstream career failed, I don't give a damn about dude.

Yeah.

Its his own fault that he waited too long to follow up his debut album. 500k is the typical average rookie debut in rap.

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Yeah.

Its his own fault that he waited too long to follow up his debut album. 500k is the typical average rookie debut in rap.
Dude was putting out songs let and right, then he dropped a critically aclaimed mixtape and def jam still would not release his album.

I'm not sure if it was his fault.

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Originally Posted by Master Zik

He never had a hit though. Pump It Up, although a good party/club song didn't even blow up like Def Jam would have liked, thus his shelving and getting the run around for years.

To have a hit you'd have to release an album anyway or be lucky enough to have a crazy buzz/hype that'll make up for the song not being that great and it being off a mixtape, see Drake for example.
Whoa? Where were yall that year "Pump it Up" Dropped. Now i see people getting things confused
smh.gif
laugh.gif

That song was EVERYWHERE when it dropped. He is a one hit wonder but i aint gon hate on "Pump it Up". That song was getting played at the damn Superbowl and in movies that whole year. Everywhere you went.

Now the singles he put out after that made him to be that 1 hit wonder cuz he kept reaching for a hit but don't get it confused like Def Jam wasn't cosigning
laugh.gif
. Dude had to get surgery on his throat or something so that kinda messed him up around that time pump it up dropped too.
The song was good and it was gettin the Flex bomb and good enough to get Ol Man Jigga to spit on it but imo hits get you mainstream success. Mostother artists with one single that's considered a hit would have more to show than a gold album. Kudos for Grammy nom. tho. A one hit wonder doesn'tjust have a hot song that's everywhere and nothing else to show for it and for the record I love the song.

Vanilla Ice was a one hit wonder, he has the money to show for it.

He never had a hit though. Pump It Up, although a good party/club song didn't even blow up like Def Jam would have liked, thus his shelving and getting the run around for years.

To have a hit you'd have to release an album anyway or be lucky enough to have a crazy buzz/hype that'll make up for the song not being that great and it being off a mixtape, see Drake for example.
Whoa? Where were yall that year "Pump it Up" Dropped. Now i see people getting things confused
smh.gif
laugh.gif

That song was EVERYWHERE when it dropped. He is a one hit wonder but i aint gon hate on "Pump it Up". That song was getting played at the damn Superbowl and in movies that whole year. Everywhere you went.

Now the singles he put out after that made him to be that 1 hit wonder cuz he kept reaching for a hit but don't get it confused like Def Jam wasn't cosigning
laugh.gif
. Dude had to get surgery on his throat or something so that kinda messed him up around that time pump it up dropped too.
The song was good and it was gettin the Flex bomb and good enough to get Ol Man Jigga to spit on it but imo hits get you mainstream success. Most other artists with one single that's considered a hit would have more to show than a gold album. Kudos for Grammy nom. tho. A one hit wonder doesn't just have a hot song that's everywhere and nothing else to show for it and for the record I love the song.

Joe said he made 7 figures off the song so. He could be telling ducktales though who knows. The song was gettin played everywhere though.

Just because he aint bragging about how much money he made off the song all the time. Doesnt mean the song didnt put him in a better place finacially

Originally Posted by devv

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Yeah.

Dude was putting out songs let and right, then he dropped a critically aclaimed mixtape and def jam still would not release his album.

I'm not sure if it was his fault.
Jay-z said in multiple interviews Joey never turned in a album,and Joey never refuted it. Jay aint have time to baby sit grown men, if you wantedyour album on store shelves it would have been on store shelves. Jay wasn't on no "i'm holding dudes back" type steez. Like you said, he wasreleasing mixtapes when he should have put that effort into his second album. Those mixtapes you are talking about were really good, should have made that theformat for the album.

smh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
The song was good and it was gettin the Flex bomb and good enough to get Ol Man Jigga to spit on it but imo hits get you mainstream success. Most other artists with one single that's considered a hit would have more to show than a gold album. Kudos for Grammy nom. tho. A one hit wonder doesn't just have a hot song that's everywhere and nothing else to show for it and for the record I love the song.

Joe said he made 7 figures off the song so. He could be telling ducktales though who knows. The song was gettin played everywhere though.

Just because he aint bragging about how much money he made off the song all the time. Doesnt mean the song didnt put him in a better place finacially
Meh. I aint saying he should be bragging but I never saw the song as 7 figures big but maybe it was.

Another thing not everybody knows who dude is, when I say Joe Budden to some ppl in my age range who are hip hop fans Pump It Up doesn't even come to mind.

smh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Meh. I aint saying he should be bragging but I never saw the song as 7 figures big but maybe it was.

Another thing not everybody knows who dude is, when I say Joe Budden to some ppl in my age range who are hip hop fans Pump It Up doesn't even come to mind.
Well no disrespect to your friends but are they casual listeners or are they really into hip hop. Its no way you can follow hip hop online and notknow who joe budden is even if its just for tahiry you would know who budden was.

tmukg21 wrote

Jay-z said in multiple interviews Joey never turned in a album,and Joey never refuted it. Jay aint have time to baby sit grown men, if you wanted your album on store shelves it would have been on store shelves. Jay wasn't on no "i'm holding dudes back" type steez. Like you said, he was releasing mixtapes when he should have put that effort into his second album. Those mixtapes you are talking about were really good, should have made that the format for the album.

Try again buddy .. jay wasn't the prez when Budden first came out.

Def Jam missed this up because "Focus" came out a long #@@ time before PIU and was getting a lot of play on the radio.

Budden has a couple songs describing the entire situation.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

tmukg21 wrote

Jay-z said in multiple interviews Joey never turned in a album,and Joey never refuted it. Jay aint have time to baby sit grown men, if you wanted your album on store shelves it would have been on store shelves. Jay wasn't on no "i'm holding dudes back" type steez. Like you said, he was releasing mixtapes when he should have put that effort into his second album. Those mixtapes you are talking about were really good, should have made that the format for the album.
Try again buddy .. jay wasn't the prez when Budden first came out.

Def Jam missed this up because "Focus" came out a long #@@ time before PIU and was getting a lot of play on the radio.

Budden has a couple songs describing the entire situation.

what i was meaning was he didn't have to become a one hit wonder rapper, waiting until 2008 to release a second subpar album

i think Def Jam got it right, i'm not pushing an album up for "Focus", but it did get him in the door of course. everyone has their "in thedoor" record (for a lack of a better term
grin.gif
)

as far as my jay reference , jay came in in 2004 or the time he should have been working on the second album.....his "feud" with jay was beyond pathetic
grin.gif
smh.gif

Yeah them my Ns...lemme get back at you tho - my baby muhva bruhva on the phone poppin ##%%...

Originally Posted by FrankDolla

Originally Posted by WeStillBallin

He's a one hit wonder when it comes to mainstream

But when it come to mixtapes/lyrical talent he's consistent
pimp.gif
truth.

Word. His team need to do what somebody on here said, have him think he makin a mixtape and turn it in as his album.
laugh.gif

But now a days. If u a true MC, u have no choice but to flop/not sell in today's market unless u sellout to ya craft. I don't see Joey gettin therecognition he deserves until all the +#%@ rap is gone and dies out.
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom