Do you think Kobe has a shot at passing Kareem?

Here's why I think its possible..Nash and Kidd are still playing at a high level in their late 30s. Kobe has at least 3 more seasons of scoring at least 2300 points plus the remainder of this season and the playoffs.
For example Jordan still average 28ppg when he was 34, sat out 4 years and still averaged 23ppg @ 38.
I hear what you are saying (and again this is all speculation) but you gotta also remember.....Kobe came into the L at age 18. He started his clock early for the pounding of his body. And he's played deep into the playoffs (i.e. more games) countless times thus far in his career and counting. Here is the current "games played" numbers of the players you speak of just as a guide, its pretty interesting.

Kidd (age 37)
1,295 total games played

Nash (age 36)
1,110 total games played

Bryant (age 31)
1,193 total games played

Sure there are exceptions but NBA players start to really hit the wall based on games played. And Kobe's generation started their clocks much earlier than any. Getting into your 30's is completely changing the ball game, even for workout warriors.

Not a workout warrior but you can even look at a guy like Iverson. Age 32 he's still averaging 26.4 PPG. He's out of the league basically at 34. Kevin Garnett? Missed a total of 22 games his first 12 years in the league (and half of those were the team's choice so they could tank games). He gets to Boston and he missed 47 games in less than 3 years and is a shell of himself.

And so on.

RyGuy45, you've got a point. The problem is that Kobe Bryant isn't Allen Iverson or Kevin Garnett. Allen Iverson didn't improve his game. He played the same way since his NBA career started. Honestly, I have no clue about Kevin Garnett. Look at Tim Duncan. He played smartly. Kobe Bryant is an amazing student of the game. Every year, he always find a way to improve his game whenever his vertical leaps and quickness go down. For example, he asked Hakeem Olajuwon for tutoring him how to post and etc last summer. I am sure Kobe wants to do better in everything than Jordan did in his career. I won't be surprised if he surpass Jordan's total points.

i think kobe will play another 8 to 9 years even if he is a shell of himself...

some people just love to play competitive ball...

can you imagine kobe in a michael finley role? lol

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Here's why I think its possible..Nash and Kidd are still playing at a high level in their late 30s. Kobe has at least 3 more seasons of scoring at least 2300 points plus the remainder of this season and the playoffs.
For example Jordan still average 28ppg when he was 34, sat out 4 years and still averaged 23ppg @ 38.
I hear what you are saying (and again this is all speculation) but you gotta also remember.....Kobe came into the L at age 18. He started his clock early for the pounding of his body. And he's played deep into the playoffs (i.e. more games) countless times thus far in his career and counting. Here is the current "games played" numbers of the players you speak of just as a guide, its pretty interesting.

Kidd (age 37)
1,295 total games played

Nash (age 36)
1,110 total games played

Bryant (age 31)
1,193 total games played

Sure there are exceptions but NBA players start to really hit the wall based on games played. And Kobe's generation started their clocks much earlier than any. Getting into your 30's is completely changing the ball game, even for workout warriors.

Not a workout warrior but you can even look at a guy like Iverson. Age 32 he's still averaging 26.4 PPG. He's out of the league basically at 34. Kevin Garnett? Missed a total of 22 games his first 12 years in the league (and half of those were the team's choice so they could tank games). He gets to Boston and he missed 47 games in less than 3 years and is a shell of himself.

And so on.

I agree that Kobe has a lot of mileage on him. I think his situation is different than Iverson's because like you said AI was never known to be a workout warrior and once his quickness went away he didnt have any advantages. In KG's case he had a leg/knee injury that slowed him down.

As long as he stays injury free, I think he has a great shot. He may be able to play at 40 and avg 15-20 ppg like w/ a few 30 and 40 point games mixed in w/ some bad ones. For some reason I can see him playing until he breaks records and he'll play until he's 70 if the Lakers are contenders.

I don't think he will. I think he will finish 3rd barring no injuries which is still a hell of an accomplishment. If kd and lebron continue to improve and stay healthy they may have a shot

Originally Posted by NobleKane

8 or 9 years??? No way. When his team goes 2-3 years without a championship I think hes going to call it quits.

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Originally Posted by NobleKane

8 or 9 years??? No way. When his team goes 2-3 years without a championship I think hes going to call it quits.
And come back and play for the wizards.

obviously mj and lebron are mentioned cuz all 3 are somewhat similar...deal with it.

kareem played till like 55 so if kobe can play till like 60 i bet he can break the record...

I've given this a good amount of thought before. i think he'll definitely pass MJ and he'll get pretty close to Malone. If he wants to play until he's 40, he'll get the record

I dont think Kobe will break it but he'll end up finishing 3rd.

He can definitely break it if he plays into his early-40s but Kobe wont be around that long. Kobe has already accomplished everything. Give the man a few more rings and 1 more Olympic appearance and I think he'll be ready to call it quits in 4-5 years.

With his current decline he probably has three more good seasons maybe four left in him
So I'd say he could possibly reach Wilt and if he passes him there's a good shot he stay to pass Jordan
But like someone else posted he would need six good seasons and maybewithin those two great seasons to even reach Kareem more less pass him

Ok so breaking down the numbers at 2000 points per season he would have to average 24.39 pts for 82 games which isn't that far off his career averages
Taking his current averages for the last two seasons into account he could gain 4428 pts towards that total if he plays 82 games each of those seasons.
Chances are things would start to seriously taper off by the third season he would optimally have to average 23.1 over the next four years for 82 games a year
So taking all of that into account he would realistically need three seasons averaging ~27-28 point over roughly 75-80 games for him to have any shot of reaching the record more or less passing it in six seasons

On another note that would be totally
eek.gif
and
pimp.gif
if he was to do all of that playing only for the Lakers

I thought Kobe said he didnt want to come back for the 2012 olympics.

and 8-9 years? I dont think he'll last that long.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--I dont think so. He aint catchin MJ either. He can catch Shaq though. Or Wilt. TOPS.
What? He's about 6500 points away from MJ that's 3 and 1/4 seasons of 2000 pts. That means he'd only have to average a little more than 24ppg over that time period and he passes Michael.  He'll be 36. I'm pretty sure that he can do that unless he has a lot of nagging injuries that slow him down like this year.

As for catching Wilt, I doubt it...Malone is a possibility though, he'd probably have to play til he's near 40. But at that point he'd have been in the league for 22 years
eek.gif

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Ok so breaking down the numbers at 2000 points per season he would have to average 24.39 pts for 82 games which isn't that far off his career averages
Taking his current averages for the last two seasons into account he could gain 4428 pts towards that total if he plays 82 games each of those seasons.
Chances are things would start to seriously taper off by the third season he would optimally have to average 23.1 over the next four years for 82 games a year
So taking all of that into account he would realistically need three seasons averaging ~27-28 point over roughly 75-80 games for him to have any shot of reaching the record more or less passing it in six seasons

On another note that would be totally
eek.gif
and
pimp.gif
if he was to do all of that playing only for the Lakers
dont forget the playoffs he plays around 100 games every season.
he's good for atleast 300+ pts during the playoffs (and he can likely get 300pts or close in 1 series) and 3 yrs in the playoffs will give him an additional 1000 pts

As much as I don't want to see Kobe pass Kareem or MJ - he def. has a great chance of doing it.

I think if he plays until age 38-40 he will do it.

Come on everyone knows KD will pass Kareem, he's the second best player in the world! Kobe sucks, he won't play long enough but KD is so great he will pass Kareem easily.

I don't think Kobe will pass just because he's in a position in his career where he doesn't have to score that many points to win. Unless he tries to chase which will indeed hurt the team.

Originally Posted by Bleezys and Heem

As much as I don't want to see Kobe pass Kareem or MJ - he def. has a great chance of doing it.

I think if he plays until age 38-40 he will do it.

why dont you want to see him do it?... that just seems like something a hater would say... i would love to witness a player from my generation become the ALL-TIME leading scorer in a league filled with so many great players, present and past... thats like not cheering for Emmit Smith when he got the rushing record... how you gonna hate?

Back
Top Bottom