Does an Athletes/Entertainers/etc. political views matter to you?

On the heels of what Kanye said, do you care?

I think there are two ways of looking at things. As someone who supports what Kap is kneeling for, I agree with his stance...so I guess that's OK since I'm a proponent for some of his beliefs. However, I know I've been one to say that we need to stop putting celebrities on pedestals for things other than what they're employed for because you'll be setting yourself up for nothing but a letdown if they say/do something that goes against your ideals. In threads, there have been some inflammatory things said about Cam Newton, Sage Steele, Tom Brady, and even Kaepernick. Obviously, you can't have things go both ways, but I'm genuinely about where you guys stand on this....

They only matter in terms of entertainment or news

But they do not affect my life or beliefs

It depends. If they believe something stupid yet inoffensive, I let it slide. If they believe or support something that is harmful to society, @#$@ them. If I found out any athlete that I followed supported Trump, that athlete would be dead to me

Last edited:
It depends. If they believe something stupid yet inoffensive, I let it slide. If they believe something that is harmful to society, @#$@ them

Does it change your opinion of them for their craft? Like, out of principle, would you still buy an album, jersey, etc.? Or are you able to separate the two?

Does it change your opinion of them for their craft? Like, out of principle, would you still buy an album, jersey, etc.? Or are you able to separate the two?

No I would not. I have zero tolerance towards ignorance

An entertainers views don't mean much to me personally. As for Kanye I think this is a case of wanting acceptance from white people in my opinion.

As far as influencing my own personal beliefs/views---no. They also did not influence my vote.

But, I think it does have an impact in whether or not I continue to support them. If they stand for things I just can't get behind, I won't go out of my way to fund their careers.

Personally they're there to just play ball or entertain me. I don't look to them nor expect them to have elaborate thought invoking views on social issues.

I'm not looking at Kanye as a means to where I should get my views on social issues from.

It's exceptions such as Kap and folks like that are on the conscious side and bring something to the table, but for the most part I take athletes and entertainers views on social issues with a grain of salt unless I find reason to feel otherwise.

Kanye said some idiotic stuff. I'll look at him like he's an idiot in that department, but as long as he puts out good music, I could care less what he has to say.

Personally they're there to just play ball or entertain me. I don't look to them nor expect them to have elaborate thought invoking views on social issues.

I'm not looking at Kanye as a means to where I should get my views on social issues from.

It's exceptions such as Kap and folks like that are on the conscious side and bring something to the table, but for the most part I take athletes and entertainers views on social issues with a grain of salt unless I find reason to feel otherwise.

Kanye said some idiotic stuff. I'll look at him like he's an idiot in that department, but as long as he puts out good music, I could care less what he has to say.

That's a real good way to put it...I agree. However, it's going to come off funny as Kanye being AA and showing his support for Trump. That's obviously not going to sit well with a lot of people. People who probably buy his merchandise etc.

Honestly I don't care about what entertainers think. The entertainers/athletes that I am a fan of, I like for their talents not for their views. 

This is an eloquent explanation. Kudos to you.

It takes a special athlete or entertainer to influence my social/political views. Only one has done it so far and he passed away earlier this year, RIP to the GOAT.

As for the others, if you say something stupid like Cam Newton I'll call it out and move on. I'm not expecting anything profound to come out of his mouth.

Depends on who they are.

Kareem.. Ali.. Bill Russell.. Jim Brown.. YES

Tyson.. Kayne.. Lebron.. NO

Depends on who they are.

Kareem.. Ali.. Bill Russell.. Jim Brown.. YES

Tyson.. Kayne.. Lebron.. NO

I can consign this. I think it depends on the entertainer/athlete. I can separate the two but if it's something that w/ their influence could cause more harm than good to people then I can't condone it. Hate it or not, they have a platform and what they say on that platform matters.

It depends. If they believe something stupid yet inoffensive, I let it slide. If they believe or support something that is harmful to society, @#$@ them. If I found out any athlete that I followed supported Trump, that athlete would be dead to me

All this.

But for the most part I really just don't care what athletes and entertainers think about anything.

Last edited:
View media item 2233427
I still listen to college dropout and hear the conscious message and respect ye for using his platform to bring those things to light. Back when it WAS NOT COOL to rap about the things he did...

I'll always have respect...cause the music is timeless and the message persists...

His latest statements are disappointing, but not surprising considering the recent trajectory of his personal life.

"George Bush doesn't like black people" was such a strong and profound stance to have...like, I'll always respect that version of ye.

Doesn't bother me, but if I don't agree with it, I'm also allowed to **** on them too. Most of these people are so far out of touch with reality anyway.

Sure. Won't be swayed by them, but for example if they are actively donating money to a cause I don't believe in or support something like that I do have a problem with it.

View media item 2233427
I still listen to college dropout and hear the conscious message and respect ye for using his platform to bring those things to light. Back when it WAS NOT COOL to rap about the things he did...

I'll always have respect...cause the music is timeless and the message persists...

His latest statements are disappointing, but not surprising considering the recent trajectory of his personal life.

"George Bush doesn't like black people" was such a strong and profound stance to have...like, I'll always respect that version of ye.

What does his support of Trump have to do with the trajectory of his personal life?

Back
Top Bottom