Does Chris Webber Belong In The Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by lesfamilia, Nov 9, 2011.

1. lesfamilia

lesfamilia

I was recently looking at his career numbers and Chris Webber was a beast.  He passed as well as any big man I've seen in the last 15 years, had a reliable jump shot, and could finish at the basket as well.  I know he didn't win anything, but he had a pretty good career nonetheless.  What do you guys think?

2. brondiesel

brondiesel

Im not sure, but most likely no. He has good career averages of 20.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 4.2 apg. Putting him no. 75 on the all time scoring list (for reference)
     However, if players were inducted solely by their averages the hall of fame would become less prestigious. Thats why players Mitch Richmond (no. 35 on the all time scoring list), Allen Iverson (no. 17 he might make it one day though), Jerry Stackhouse (no. 88), MIchael Finley (no.71), Antawn Jamison (no. 59), Glen Rice(no. 56), VInce Carter (no. 36),  Cliff Robinson (no.40), Juwan Howard (no.89), Tracy McGrady (no.59) will never make it to the hall.
    To get inducted a players has to have a big impact on the league, several deep playoff runs (not necessarily a ring which JOhn Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone dont have and are inducted). Thats why players like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Shaq, Kobe, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, TIm Duncan (obviously)[​IMG] will be inducted. Im not sure if  players like Gary Payton (no 26) & Paul Pierce (no 30) will be inducted. Like I said you cant induct every good/almost great player in the hall.

3. Jim Shady

Jim Shady

difficult  question because he was such a great player, I believe he would've gotten the kings a tittle had he not been injured early in the 06 mavs series , one of the more gut wrenching things to watch ....He was one of those players that could've had multiple championships (college and Pro) but fell just short on both levels

4. CP1708

CP1708

NBA only, no.  But overall, college/NBA like how it really is, I will say yes. 

What he did at Michigan is bigger than anything he did in the NBA.  His NBA career is borderline as is, but in a lot of ways, I could make the argument that his career did not live up to what it COULD have been.  That kid could have been one of "those" and by that I mean one of the special ones, one of the top 20 type all timers. 

5. tim teufel

tim teufel

Hell no

6. al3xis

al3xis

Yes.

7. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

.....of course,.....how is this even a question?

8. doublejs07

doublejs07

One of the most versatile big-men ever...I say YES.

One ring would have helped his cause...damn Horry [​IMG]

*I still love the dunk he had on Barkley...#!!+ was [​IMG]

*I WISH he stayed in DC...one of the worst trades ever.  Do yall even know what the return was?  An over-the-hill Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe.  Think about that [​IMG] 

9. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

10. seymore cake

seymore cake

MVP (show me a player who won this award and isn't in the hall)
    Numerous Scoring Titles
    Lead a bum @$% Sixers squad to the finals
    Countless All Star Appearances
    Impact on the game is as big as any player not named Jordan

Based solely on what he's done in between those 4 lines... there's no might about his induction.

11. doublejs07

doublejs07

Wait...are people REALLY questioning AI's HOF merits???  [​IMG]  You gotta be *%$@%#@ kidding me. 

12. af1 1982

af1 1982

Yeah Pierce is in in my books. Dudes a reckless beast on the court.

13. anotherprodigy

anotherprodigy

AI's HOF probability is my main concern. I almost resorted to name-calling for this discussion.
    Perennial all-star
    top 5 player of his era
    MVP
    revolutionized the game

Iverson will be a HOF
    I believe the Glove will be one as well.

14. eddiehouse5

eddiehouse5

Come on, there is NO debate about either AI or Gary Payton getting into the hall.

15. seymore cake

seymore cake

Its constantly questioned on NT... Never heard it questioned anywhere else but here.

16. illwill24

illwill24

If Chris Mullin went in, then Webber is DEFINITELY goin in

Mullin is a great player, but Webber made more of an impact, esp in the playoffs with the Kings. Webber was "the guy" on every team he played for except for Detroit.

17. be easy

be easy

There's no way in hell Pierce and GP don't make it to the hall. Same with AI. CWebb will eventually make it too I think. Like someone else said, based off his college/NBA career combined. Also gotta look in the era he played in, and players he competed against.
    Also on a side note, dude already has a spot in the HoF. He has a section detected to his collection of African American artifacts. I thought that was pretty cool when I saw that last year.

18. statis22

statis22

Mullin was a good player in the NBA but didn't he mostly get in because of what HR did at St. John's?

I say eventually Webber gets in.

19. jordanxi45

jordanxi45

Hell yes.

20. brondiesel

brondiesel

I think they made a mistake by inducting Mullin.