Does more expensive actually make it better??

Originally Posted by cocolicious

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

People buy expensive clothing for the approval of others. Name brands are to impress other people. It s all about STATUS. External approval.

A wallet will hardly be seen by anyone else. So what is the point of spending $400 on it?

Yeah some people are label @*!@%! and will buy anything because of the name. But that isn't always the case. Why can't people buy clothes they like expensive or not? I buy clothes that I like because it's what I like and it make me happy not because I'm looking for approval. And for some people $400 is nothing to them not every one is barely making it in this world, some people just have lots of money.
lmao so true.. I remember hearing these girls talking about sunglasses
girl 1-"OMG I just got these $400 sunglasses"
girl 2-"OMG really!? what brand??"
girl 1 -"yeah theyre Dolce & Gabbana !!
pimp.gif
. They're ugly but its Dolce & Gabbana!!"
girl 2-"
smokin.gif
"

I take pleasure in buying anything afforable or expensive. It honstly makes me happy
laugh.gif
I love shopping and buying things, that doesn't mean I'm doing it for other people. If you think it's stupid to get a wallet that cost thatmuch then don't buy it. People can do what they want with their money. Don't see the big deal.
It's usually the ones that can't obtain these items so they clown and say they are buying all these things to fill a void in their life.  It's just like how alot of haters say "oh he bought that rari to make up for his small weenie." 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by R31J23

I buy expensive things if its something im gonna get alot of use out of. wallets, leather goods, outerwear and etc.
when it comes  to craftsmanship you can tell the diffrence. i do be on my *kanye*I spent 400 bucks on this. just to be like #$#%# you aint up on this *kanye*

im materialistic and shallow.
tired.gif
A wallet though? Something damn near nobody will EVER see? I can UNDERSTAND a jacket or clothes, but do you really think anyone else gives a damn if you have a NAME BRAND WALLET?

At least you know you are shallow and materialistic because that is just dumb. Sorry.
name brand doesnt = quality  i would never buy a louie or gucci wallet. hand made wallets made out of a good quality leather yes name brand wallets no.
and most of the materialistic things i buy most people dont know how expensive it is cause im not into the flashy name brand stuff.

There isn't a definitive answer to this question, not everyone could agree to a simple answer of yes or no.
The term "better" is different for everyone.

When it comes to food, it will depend on your taste buds.
Sure an organic steak at some expensive bistro might be better (health-wise in the long run) but to some that $1 taco at the truck at the corner of the street taste better.
Hell the expensive water bottles like Dasani is almost exactly the same as Kirkland water but if you have been drinking Kirkland your whole life, it will taste better than Dasani.

For clothes, shoes, accessories... you have to look for the design, style and quality before deciding if it is better.
I have a Ferragamo belt, I like the look and have not see any other that looks similar.
Sure quality is on par as Tanner w/ 3x the cost but the look/style you are trying to go for can't not be imitated.
Even in customer service, when I couldn't adjust the sizing on my Ferragamo belt and brought it to the store and they couldn't adjust it either, they gave me a brand new one in my size w/o hassle.
So yeah I paid more but you really can't beat that kind service and other high end brands offer the same service while others won't.

As for wallets, again it is for the quality, look and design for the most part. It will differ for everyone else.
A lot of people keep saying "I have had my POLO wallet for 10 years and still going strong."
I am not going to say BS to it but when I bought a POLO wallet a couple of years ago, it got destroyed after several months of use.
So to me spending a bit more on a wallet, in which has held up well for me, is "better" than buying a POLO wallet every couple of months.

So everyones experience is and will be different so a general and definitive answer is just not possible for the question.

Originally Posted by RFX45

There isn't a definitive answer to this question, not everyone could agree to a simple answer of yes or no.
The term "better" is different for everyone.

When it comes to food, it will depend on your taste buds.
Sure an organic steak at some expensive bistro might be better (health-wise in the long run) but to some that $1 taco at the truck at the corner of the street taste better.
Hell the expensive water bottles like Dasani is almost exactly the same as Kirkland water but if you have been drinking Kirkland your whole life, it will taste better than Dasani.

For clothes, shoes, accessories... you have to look for the design, style and quality before deciding if it is better.
I have a Ferragamo belt, I like the look and have not see any other that looks similar.
Sure quality is on par as Tanner w/ 3x the cost but the look/style you are trying to go for can't not be imitated.
Even in customer service, when I couldn't adjust the sizing on my Ferragamo belt and brought it to the store and they couldn't adjust it either, they gave me a brand new one in my size w/o hassle.
So yeah I paid more but you really can't beat that kind service and other high end brands offer the same service while others won't.

As for wallets, again it is for the quality, look and design for the most part. It will differ for everyone else.
A lot of people keep saying "I have had my POLO wallet for 10 years and still going strong."
I am not going to say BS to it but when I bought a POLO wallet a couple of years ago, it got destroyed after several months of use.
So to me spending a bit more on a wallet, in which has held up well for me, is "better" than buying a POLO wallet every couple of months.

So everyones experience is and will be different so a general and definitive answer is just not possible for the question.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I spent more than most people on a Coach wallet. I didn't because it had huge logos or looked "cool," (it only had one very small Coach logo) but instead I bought it because I heard from friends and family members about their Coach leather goods lasting 10+ years and still looking great. Plus it only cost $50 at an outlet which isn't too much more than the "average" wallet would cost.

There are certain items where the cheap brand is just as good as the expensive brand and others where it really makes a difference. Sure Polo and Lacoste might seem even nicer than they really are because of quality marketing, but they wouldn't build that reputation without making good products. No company can make garbage products for their entire life and build a quality reputation that people are willing to pay a high price for their products. And you guys can't say Jordan Brand because they used to make good products even if they've fallen off lately.

As for food products, it really varies. From my personal experience, a lot of store brands are just as good as the big names. However, some of them are garbage. You just have to try them out and see what ones work for you.

kinda how computers are if you just want some regular ol pc with some boring ol operating system than get a dell, sony, hp,acer etc. but if you really want
good quality computer and operating system than you buy a mac

depends....

more expensive things that depreciate in value?
the answer is no

more expensive things that appreciate in value?
the answer is yes

..it's called an investment.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RLAK824

kinda how computers are if you just want some regular ol pc with some boring ol operating system than get a dell, sony, hp,acer etc. but if you really want
good quality computer and operating system than you buy a mac

that makes no sense.. ive had an apple laptop give out on me in the same or shorter time frame than a normal HP.

thats apples vs. oranges talk.

if you want to get into comparing, compare a prebuilt HP vs. some local computer shop no name brand type hand built computer. HP or DELL may be the big brand and more expensive but for the value, you could get one hand built for cheaper.

you gotta compare generic windows laptops vs. namebrands. A cross genre test makes no sense.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Not always. Marketing has a lot to do with consumer's perception of how good the quality of a product is.
excellent response.

When it comes to restaurants, the more expensive, the less food you get, (quality of food doesn't get better) you're basically paying for the service

depends on what it is...but as far as im concerned, generic medicines, for example are just as good as name brand ones. But if we're talking HDTV's, like... vizio (which is a lower name brand) and samsung, samsung def is the better made TV.

Really does depend. I buy the cheap Fry's HDMI cables and see no difference between the more expensive ones my friends use. I have also recently discovered Finishline Hoops shorts. WOW. These things are amazing!!!! 2 for the price of 1 pair of brand name shorts too.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by needsomejays

In some case it does mean better quality. Like shoes or hand bags.

not jordans
yeah, but when you go into high end quality shoes, Jordans are cheap in price as well as quality.
although there are cheaper shoes with better quality than jordans. i think people hold jordan shoes too high up on a pedestal as far  as expecting "quality" from them.

I was talking about shoes for women, like designer high heels.
I disagree. I have my fair share of designer and non-designer heels, and I've had issues with designer heels that I haven't had with cheaper heels (for example, I had a sole begin to peel off of a pair of brand new Jimmy Choos that I bought from Saks, and all I did was wear them around my house for ten minutes). I was basically paying for a name, not necessarily quality.

I take pleasure in buying anything afforable or expensive. It honstly makes me happy
laugh.gif
I love shopping and buying things, that doesn't mean I'm doing it for other people. If you think it's stupid to get a wallet that cost thatmuch then don't buy it. People can do what they want with their money. Don't see the big deal.

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

I have also recently discovered Finishline Hoops shorts. WOW. These things are amazing!!!! 2 for the price of 1 pair of brand name shorts too.

I completely agree. Makes me wonder why i pay for jordan/nike shorts
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom