Donation Update: Room to Read's library in Nepal is now complete! Pictures inside.

Nice
pimp.gif

Was the library built solely from our money?
As indicated in my post and in the completion report, the breakdown was roughly 85/15%.  Room to Read likes to get the community involved in fund-raising to help foster a sense of investment in and ownership of the facility.  It's not, in other words, something that's being done for them but something accomplished with them. We're celebrating their accomplishment today.

thats awesome meth, congrats. nice to see where the money actually goes and that its for a good cause (not like that other place. NT aint only about the sneakers!
pimp.gif
)
If NT were only about sneakers, I'd have left long ago.  It's about us as a community - and though sneakers may have drawn us all together they do not define us and they certainly don't define the way we interact with one another and with the world.  Sneakers describe the path we walked to get here, but we're creating our own legacy together and it's one in which footwear/materialism will not play the starring role. 

Imagine what we could do if NT moved bricks...
I'd rather move minds than move units, hustle hope than hustle dope. 

That's pretty awesome, I didn't expect NikeTalk to be mentioned on the plaque but it was cool that it was.
Yeah, since we were the lone private sponsor for this project we had the honor of selecting the dedication language.  We can joke about the typos, but truly it was very kind of them to recognize us in that way.  I can't say enough good things about Room To Read.  They kept us informed throughout the process, made sure we were apprised of any delays, and provided us with detailed application, progress, and completion reports. 

We'd love to work with them on another project in the future and I'd suggest that anyone interested check out their website.  You don't need to donate $19,000 to make a big difference in a young person's life.

I just wanted to stop by and mention that is by the far; the greatest achievement our very own Method Man and other members have conducted via donation (not to take away from our other donations). To allow children of a third world country the opportunity to pick up a book, expand their learning abilities and rise periodically with the mind strength that can benefit ones family - is a satisfaction no shoe, ball game or clothing brand can ever fulfill.

This is a milestone that shall be remembered through the ranks of this community.

Kudos to everyone who pitched in their hard earned money. To Method Man; words can't express the respect and veneration I have for you. Let this here be the start of a new era...
Thanks so much for the kind words.  I should point out that this is not the first school project we've done or even the first library project we've contributed to.  In 2007, we gave $17,000 to help Free the Children build a school in Salabwek, Kenya.  The year before that, we donated $4,000 to aid in the refurbishment of an inner city school library in Los Angeles through Access Books.  We also supported higher education with a grant to the UNCF.  You can find those, and other, donation posts in our archives - and there's a summary of all our donations to date in the 10th anniversary donation thread, which resulted in a $10,000 grant to the HSUS End Dogfighting Campaign. 

We all have our favorite projects and one of the great things about our donations has been the variety of causes we've contributed to thus far. 

It's worth noting, too, that one of our fellow members, HKFEET27, initially suggested the Room to Read organization to us.  This isn't just something the staff implements on its own - we really do make these donations as a community and each of you have played a part in that. 

Meth--Question?

Does the money NT generate come about from "clicking" ads, or hosting them?

If they come about from "clicks", would I--or any other NT for that matter-- be helping the site generate more funds--for worthwhile donation causes-- by clicking ads alot?
I'll make two statements about this, because to do anything else would jeopardize violating ad network policies that prohibit the promotion of click-throughs and other forms of manipulation:

1)  We donate all of our ad revenue beyond the cost of hosting to charity.  That's been the case since we first implemented ads in 2006.

2)  Advertisers, generally speaking, pay a premium for clicks.  We might get, say, 30 cents for every 1,000 ads viewed - but individual clicks are worth whole cents.  That's why so many sites do forced pop-ups and other garbage that we don't.  When it does occur, it's because someone's exploited ad script to try and profit from the ad unit as opposed to someone trying to promote a product or service. 

I won't say, and I can't say, that everyone should go around clicking the ads constantly.  In fact, were that to occur it would probably be picked up on pretty quickly and could jeopardize our relationship with various ad networks.  If there's an ad that interests you, if it's for a product or service you find worthwhile, then you should be aware that simply entering that address into your browser and clicking "go" has a different effect from actually clicking on the ad itself. 

If I say any more, I think some shady types clad in trenchcoats and Ray Bans (or, worse, their attorneys) will come by to have words with me - so we'll just keep it at that.

Wow mad props to Method Man and NT. This is great. I was actually born in nepal. To see these kids get the opportunity to be able to read a book and better themselves is just outstanding. By everyone contributing, the lives of others can have a huge impact.. Good work everyone

Respect.

It always makes me happy to see that us materialistic bastards that make up NT sometimes can pull away from discussing kicks, selvage, mass and Jay-Z long enough to do some good for the world.

It's crazy to think that this site has an impact in the real world in a LASTING way. And to think it all started with sneakers. Crazy.

I am glad that all my time on here has gone to some worthwhile cause..........way to go us!!!

What a great thing that we accomplished. The library looks amazin..
pimp.gif

Great job everybody!!

Readin is fundamental!

This is awesome, NT be able to make a change in others' life.

I won't pretend and say I contributed, but props to those did.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

that is great
pimp.gif

i'm all about promiting literacy for children...

lol we should send some NTers there lol sort of like a exchange program JK!!!! im just messing. but that is REALLY cool!! nice work NT!!

fabulous, everytime i think i question why i spend so much time on this site, threads like this remind me how special this place is.

Back
Top Bottom