Drake Compares Rick Ross' new LP to BIG's Ready To Die & Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

He hadn't. One of them N_s from the Surf Club said when they first started messin w/ Drake he was on some different/Canada +$%!. He had to get put up on all the classic +$%! he's even speaking on. soooo....
eyes.gif
 to his comment. it holds no merit.
why? let's be real, most people overrate some of these albums because they listened to it everyday in high school. Drake heard them from a fresh slate with no bias. if anything he should know better than anyone.
NO. he wasn't around to feel that impact that those albums had...he didn't grow up in OUR rap culture. he didn't get to see how those albums shaped American Hip-Hop culture. and THAT'S what goes into making a classic...and i DOUBT Ross's new album will shape anything. 
Exactly, and a 'fresh slate' would be a lot more bias because those albums from 10 and 20 years ago are being heard OUT OF CONTEXT. So everything recent is going to trump that purely off of current relevance. That's bias. Full stop.

With that said, I doubt Drake doesn't know what's up with older classic Hip-Hop albums. It's just gassing and promotion. No one will care a month from now.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

"Doggystyle" maybe... But "Ready to Die"?!?!?!!
grin.gif

I really have to hear "God Forgives & I Don't" now!
U make it seem as if Doggystyle was chump change compared to Ready To Die,both albums were classics in their own right,ol' school Snoop was just as talented as Biggie if not more,plus Doggystyle had more impact on music then Ready To Die,just my humble opinion homie.

Y'all acting like y'all heard the album...

It's already been reviewed in your heads and it hasn't even touched your ears yet.

That's what's wrong with you rap fans...

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

It's already been reviewed in your heads and it hasn't even touched your ears yet.

most people are saying they highly doubt it...meaning we clearly haven't heard it, we just doubt it. so no one is acting like they heard the album at all.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

I mean come on, B...
Ready to die?

Ross don't even spit about the same subject matter as BIG did on RTD?

William Roberts is 35 and paid, Chris Wallace was 22 and hungry.

RTD was the soundtrack to poverty and 1 of the most impactful albums of any musical genre to drop in a decade full of monumental albums.

People got a right to be rubbed the wrong way. 

Ross albums are cool, but his hottest release has been a mixtape, nothing in his repertoire has shown signs of RTD and hes deep in the game already.

The comparison don't even makes sense, no matter how hot his album possibly is. RTD and DS were two classic debut albums from young artists.

The problem with Hip-Hop fans is they have no respect for the history of  the artform and will say anything, just to say it.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

indifferent.gif

Look at his face..

drake17__opt.jpg

Look at it.

This dude probably never heard RTD or Doggystyle up until a couple of years ago.

You sure that is Drake and not Bryant Gumbel?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

You can't expect Biggie's Ready to Die to resonate with him as much as say, a 30-35 year old from New York, or anyone growing up in New York in general or that age in general.

When Biggie was murdered, Drake was what, 10-11 years old? Whoever said he heard the albums with a clean slate is right. So if that's what Drake wants to compare them to, then so be it. That's just his opinion.

However, at the same time, I'd like to think he was just promoting the album for Ross with some attention grabbing talk rather than being serious. Let's look at who Biggie and Snoop are/were. Biggie is the real deal, from street guy to superstar. No one's ever questioning Biggie's authenticity. His story was his story, that's why he told it and that's why people felt it. Snoop is like 20 years deep in the game. He's put out multiple classic songs and albums, transcended through more than a handful of changes in rap music and is still relevant.

Now I'm not saying Rick Ross's new album won't be good music, but at the end of the day, he's just an entertainer. We don't know the man behind the beard and glasses, and the music doesn't help us get to know him. Rick Ross albums are like the soundtracks to gangster movies. It's like if a screenwriter wrote a movie based off of Blow, Cocaine Cowboys, Paid in Full, and Scarface, and named the movie God Forgives, I Won't, that's what Ross's album sounds like. If for no other reason, the fact that Biggie and Snoop took you into THEIR actual world with every song, bar, and verse, is why it's "questionable" for Drake to make the comparison.

But that's just my opinion.
You make some really good point, especially about Ross' albums being like soundtracks to movies, cause that's exactly what I take them as.

But at the same time, Ready to Die was the first rap album I walked up to the store and purchased on cassette myself. And when Biggie died, I was 10....
grin.gif

Originally Posted by RAWairMIA

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

"Doggystyle" maybe... But "Ready to Die"?!?!?!!
grin.gif

I really have to hear "God Forgives & I Don't" now!
U make it seem as if Doggystyle was chump change compared to Ready To Die,both albums were classics in their own right,ol' school Snoop was just as talented as Biggie if not more,plus Doggystyle had more impact on music then Ready To Die,just my humble opinion homie.
I didn't really feel "Doggystyle" as much as the majority of hip-hop heads.
"The Chronic" > "Doggystyle".

Originally Posted by Fly Guy On A G5

All I know is Ross's joint will be waaaayyyyyyyy nicer than Carter 4.  
With the title "God Forgives, I Don't" it better be "nicer" than C4.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

indifferent.gif

Look at his face..

drake17__opt.jpg

Look at it.

This dude probably never heard RTD or Doggystyle up until a couple of years ago.
what year was this? 88? I thought drake was in his 20's.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

^That's definitely not 88'.

i'm sure it isn't.

but with that stone washed jean jacket and that arch deluxe hairline, i'm starting to thing Drake is an "african 25"

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

i'm sure it isn't.

but with that stone washed jean jacket and that arch deluxe hairline, i'm starting to thing Drake is an "african 25"

Well Drake's hair hasn't been low for that long, for all we know that pic could be from 2002
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ Drake's "clean slate"

If anything he's the most bias, cause by the time he heard them he'd already been told they were classics and more than likely went into them with that mindset.

Drake needs to go back to degrassi!!!! can't stand that new jack. acting like he knows hip hop (SMACK)!!!!

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

i'm sure it isn't.

African 25?
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

I don't know why but this comment has me weak man
laugh.gif
. But that aside, I've heard age issues with just about every big name rapper in today's hip-hop world. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom