Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Oh well. I'm determined to have these, I have like six sites lined up starting like at 6 PM that I'll try, I have to strike something :lol:
Why camp for a shoe that is not even made of leather. I'd rather get me a pair of AE's. Now if Nike starts using real leather like the Banned 1's then I'd contemplate camping or paying a over retail.

I'm not camping though lol

How difficult do you guys think it'll be to open a menswear store? Something similar to Sid Masburn
Very difficult. What will make it stand out from the plethora that exist already? Just check on IG for all the menswear stores that exist that you've never heard of.

Very difficult. What will make it stand out from the plethora that exist already? Just check on IG for all the menswear stores that exist that you've never heard of.

I wouldn't create my own stuff, just carry other brands.
But I was just thinking how it's impossible for me to find something here. Whenever I need something on short notice I'm sol, because I have to order all of my clothes online. I can't be the only person in town that feels that way too, there are no stores here that cater to men other than crappy department stores and Jos A Bank.

Carlin can chime in on this because Birmingham has a handful of nice menswear shops, but here in Huntsville there are none.

But I was just thinking how it's impossible for me to find something here. Whenever I need something on short notice I'm sol, because I have to order all of my clothes online. I can't be the only person in town that feels that way too, there are no stores here that cater to men other than crappy department stores and Jos A Bank.

Carlin can chime in on this because Birmingham has a handful of nice menswear shops, but here in Huntsville there are none.
Yes. Go look at the Epaulet thread and start from page one. They used to carry other brands when they started. They were really close to failing but caught a break.

I know there's a few menswear stores in the south.

Just because you want to dress a certain way doesn't mean the majority around you do. I would highly encourage to do your due diligence prior to anything. At the very minimal, SWOT analysis. This is the reason I'm pausing the progression of my brand.

There are a few here that seem to be doing well. If there are none in Huntsville there could be demand, just so much risk. I think the city is growing, but definitely take your time with that. I would definitely shop with you if you make it, good luck man with whatever you end up doing.

You will need connection and good amount of start-up capital and a good bit of luck.

The good brands that people want aren't so easy to get, just think of Nike I guess. You simply cannot contact them and ask to carry their items in your store. Nike is probably more difficult to get than other smaller brands but I think it works about the same.

You also have to consider your situation and location, yeah it is difficult to find clothes you want in your area but maybe that is for a reason. Maybe those clothes simply does not sell in that area?

I'd personally want to hear Ty's experience on his store.

But you mentioned your biggest competition already, which is the internet, where having low overhead really make it hard to compete with their pricing.

You will need connection and good amount of start-up capital and a good bit of luck.

The good brands that people want aren't so easy to get, just think of Nike I guess. You simply cannot contact them and ask to carry their items in your store. Nike is probably more difficult to get than other smaller brands but I think it works about the same.

You also have to consider your situation and location, yeah it is difficult to find clothes you want in your area but maybe that is for a reason. Maybe those clothes simply does not sell in that area?

I'd personally want to hear Ty's experience on his store.

But you mentioned your biggest competition already, which is the internet, where having low overhead really make it hard to compete with their pricing.

Ty owns that store? All this time I just thought he was a higher up...

I haven't been really keeping up but he did last I remember, which was maybe a year or two ago?

I could be wrong but I remember him running a store and was even have a collab (or making it himself) on some bags?

I'm just thinking out loud at this point. I know it would be an uphill battle, plus not even sure what the demand would be here. Would have to show people what they're missing out on, because there is seriously nothing here.

That's another thing too. How do stores even contact brands to carry their stuff? Say I'd want to carry Kiton suits, how would I go about doing so? I've noticed some bands make items exclusively for a shop. On the inside of the coat it'll say something like Kiton made for whatever that shop's name is

If I ever do decide to actually pursue it, that's what I would do. Work for a while and the try to start it up

That's another thing too. How do stores even contact brands to carry their stuff? Say I'd want to carry Kiton suits, how would I go about doing so? I've noticed some bands make items exclusively for a shop. On the inside of the coat it'll say something like Kiton made for whatever that shop's name is

Relationships. Connections.

That collaboration usually stems from a relationship with the brand or the designer and the store or person/owner. It's just like the Kanye x APC, Kanye happens to be real good friends with APC creative director so the collab happened.

History also plays a part in some cases, like Bergdorf having an exclusive item from a brand that they have carried ever since they've opened their doors for more merchandise.

Sometimes, it is also simply about money, like the Barneys X JayZ collab. That really promoted nothing but attach his name on the brand and the store and they feel those items will easily at retail and they can make a boatload of cash.

As for contacting brands, you have to find wholesale merchandise distributors. You can also attend conventions and trade shows and capsules like Magic in Vegas. There you can examine the products and talk to the brands representatives about their products and how to go about carrying it in your store and such.

Very interesting stuff. I don't really know the first thing about entrepreneurship, would have to do a ton of research

Very interesting stuff. I don't really know the first thing about entrepreneurship, would have to do a ton of research

I took a basic entrepreneurship class. Learned some cool stuff. About what kind of ownsership you would want to have and partnerships. If you would have investors who will help you start up.

An entrepreneurship course isn't going to teach you **** about running a business.

Find a mentor. Pick his brain. That's the best advice I can give to anyone considering starting their own business.

An entrepreneurship course isn't going to teach you **** about running a business.

Find a mentor. Pick his brain. That's the best advice I can give to anyone considering starting their own business.
Hardest part is finding a successful business owner who actually has time to spend with you. I wouldn't say courses are completely useless, though I may be biased since I took some of those in my MBA courses.

I've had the pleasure of talking and knowing 3 very well off business men. The first is a friend of my mom. He came to the USA in the 1970s from the homeland. He worked at the local swap-meet and lived in his car. He learned the ins and outs of the business, and eventually found a niche in import/export. He now runs a multi million dollar company in that realm. The disheartening part is that his kids are Americanized screw ups, but that's getting away from the story.

The second is a man I met through an endeared professor in the program. He used to be a homeless until he wanted to change his life. He started doing manual labor doing home improvement projects in return for shelter. He also became skilled via this route and now owns a multi million dollar company that does curtains and blinds.

The third is a friend I met on my Evo messageboard years ago. The guy dropped out of junior college. He was in his mid 20s with a kid. He worked for a audio/visual firm that had a contract with the studios around here. He eventually expanded out on his own and got contracts under his own firm. If you see a white GTR lowered on aggressive wheels with a plate that says "OMGUSLO" or something like that in SoCal...it's him :lol:

Flyknitlover is correct here: the common factor is that all 3 of these gents are self-made with no formal education. Because they came from dirt, they had the hunger...something that a well off person doesn't have. However, they are also very lucky. Luck definitely plays a part in the success of a firm. A year or so back, I helped out a local eatery as a part of my project for school. The guy had a BS degree (no pun intended, I meant bachelor's of science), but opted out of med school and opened up the eatery. He quickly became in severe debt. When I first met him, he had nothing organized. His books were a mess, he didn't have a dedicated supplier which meant his prices were high and deliveries were unorganized. I had to help revamp the company to make himself viable. The worst part was that he was getting bullied with the rent since it is located in a prime location, but customers weren't coming in.

A lot of youngins want to be business owners because it sounds cool. They don't want to work for someone else or make someone else rich. The flipside is that when you are a business owner, you are everything: the accountant, marketing, HR, etc. You don't get a stable paycheck with benefits. Worst case: your business fails, you can't pay back the loan that you took out a mortgage on, and you're out in the streets. 80% of businesses fail within 5 years so statistics are already against you.

This is something I have witnessed first handed sadly. Several of my car friends thought it would be a good idea to turn their passion into their careers. They took out massive loans to rent out a shop, install dyno machines, lifts, etc. The problems were that they didn't know what they were doing. They didn't have contracts with brands to get the parts at a better price in order to keep the prices on par with other retailers. They had no management skill to control the workers they hired. They didn't know how to properly promote their shop. All but one closed within a year and half and incurred huge six figure debt as a result.

What would be a better route, investors or just getting a business loan from a bank?
There is no 'better' route. No one would invest in your brand if you don't spend your own money to show the products and that they can sell...see Shark Tank, my fav show on TV. However, if you have nothing saved up at all or believe you can do it on your own, a loan it is.

Also, today's topics were awesome :lol:

The shoes will be trouble. My boy texted me saying that the fire dept. shut down the raffle process at a local mall. This is a relatively nice mall too, not a ratchet hood type of joint. See you dudes tomorrow :pimp:

Obviously learning from someone who has started and runs a successful business will help you learn a ton. I'm sure searching online and some books will also help you out. I had to do a project for the class and look up a bunch of laws, different types of insurance needed, etc. But as was mentioned, everyone has their own path. There were people in my classes who already had their own construction companies and were in the process of getting their business degrees.

Back
Top Bottom