Dressing Better Vol 2.0

From my first experience, Charles Tyrwhitt is the biggest pain in the *** due to their sizing and online ordering. They are a British company and sizing is different here in the US compared to our Euro counterparts. I've had to return and exchange 3 orders before i got the sizing correct and since their location is in England the shipping took forever. Even now the sleeves do not fit that great. If that doesn't bother you, I do recommend waiting until they have their 3 for $80 sale they often do. 

Yeah I thought that was a year round deal I just checked and saw it was 4 for $199. Gonna probably scoop a couple of BR shirts to hold me over until I can figure out my exact measurements, etc. Also saw UNIQLO has some pretty cheap dress shirts as well that might get the job done for now. I def cannot roll w the slim fits unfortunately, the chest/back is always a problem.

CT slim fit isn't even slim. It was too large for me. I wouldn't rule it out yet, might be perfect for you.

Also you don't HAVE to order from England. If you live in Chicago, DC, or NY just go to their store and try stuff on. If you aren't in any of those cities call the store they may be able to ship some shirts to you to try on and you could just return them.

charles tyrwhitt slim fits like a reg shirt for me. its just not balloony on the sides/waist but it's definitly not a slim cut shirt like some might have in mind,

Last edited:
I need advice on business conference dress code.

I recently started my own business and have a business conference to attend in May. This is where my brand will first gain recognition (commercial operations begin in April). In short, my business is a laboratory in the cannabis industry. My team and I will have our own booth at the event.

I'm concerned about my attire and the impression I want to make given the industry. Looking at some pictures from this event in the past it looks pretty casual/business casual for the most part. I did see some people wearing full suits and ties however I don't want to ostracize any potential customers (my customers are mainly cultivators).

As the founder and managing member of the company, should I wear a suit and tie? We are not looking for any investors or employees. Just want to make connections, get the company name out there, educate people on what we do and gain new customers. My partner who is the subject matter expert will be answering most of the questions pertaining to our lab, processes, etc... I'll be there to discuss pretty much everything else but we'll be helping eachother out. I have one other employee and don't intend on bringing her to the conference with us.

What would you guys recommend my partner and I wear based on this scenario?

Very interesting set up you guys got going. Wishing you the best Hendrick.

Personally, I would wear:

• Navy blazer
  • White shirt (sans tie)
  • Grey trousers
  • Double Monks or Loafers (black or brown is fine)

^Thanks dude I was thinking along those lines as well. I already have grey trousers but they are a few years old. I have to look into getting a fresh pair.

Is there a reason you specifically suggest Double Monks or Loafers for footwear? Considered more casual I'm guessing? My only pair of dress shoes are walnut strands (entry level I know) would those work? Maybe I can away with wearing the dark brown suede CP chelsea?

Would you recommend going to SS for the navy blazer? Fit is obviously most important so I don't want to buy anything off the rack. But I have been hitting the gym like yourself, and now I'm a little worried about buying something expensive and outgrowing it. Pricepoint isn't an issue I just don't want to spend too much on something that I may outgrow.

Last edited:
Yeah lace ups are a bit more formal which is why I recommended those other styles. Def would not wear the CP chelsea since the crepe sole makes it toooo casual.

SuSu def would be a smart place to cop the blazer. Their separate offerings are priced higher though because the fabrics are normally better. Might still be worth getting a full suit though just to have the matching trousers when need be. If you look into Havana or Hudson models, they are inherently more casual because of the patch pockets but can still look formal enough when need be.

Regarding the gym, the good thing about those cuts are the unstructured shoulder. With growth, normally you can see a suit being too small due to this padding which creates divots. With the Havana cut for example, I can still wear my size 40 with no problem because of the shoulder construction (or lack thereof). However in the Washington cut, their most structured model, I need to wear a 42.

If you end up copping Hav or Hud, you could also let the back seams out to adjust for growth but please note that this will only give an inch or so. If you plan on seeing more gains, then cop something cheaper for now. Even the comfort jacket from Uniqlo would prob suffice.

So what is the difference between Havana and Hudson? Hudson just has a wider lapel? I'm not familiar with these suit cuts. Really appreciate all the info btw. I'll cop one of your pocket squares to wear when they are ready :pimp:

Side note: This you modeling the Hudson? :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Nah that cuzzo tho

And the Hudson has a wider lapel, a slightly lowered buttoning stance, but the biggest difference is the patch breast pocket vs the welted one on the Havana (traditional breast pocket).

I used to be very against 3 patch set ups but I've grown to like the Hudson more. Was hoping to snag something in the outlet but only walked away with a topcoat and some shirts.

Yeah lace ups are a bit more formal which is why I recommended those other styles. Def would not wear the CP chelsea since the crepe sole makes it toooo casual.

SuSu def would be a smart place to cop the blazer. Their separate offerings are priced higher though because the fabrics are normally better. Might still be worth getting a full suit though just to have the matching trousers when need be. If you look into Havana or Hudson models, they are inherently more casual because of the patch pockets but can still look formal enough when need be.

Regarding the gym, the good thing about those cuts are the unstructured shoulder. With growth, normally you can see a suit being too small due to this padding which creates divots. With the Havana cut for example, I can still wear my size 40 with no problem because of the shoulder construction (or lack thereof). However in the Washington cut, their most structured model, I need to wear a 42.

If you end up copping Hav or Hud, you could also let the back seams out to adjust for growth but please note that this will only give an inch or so. If you plan on seeing more gains, then cop something cheaper for now. Even the comfort jacket from Uniqlo would prob suffice.
Dam A your info is always on point. Next time I'm in Philly we should get together. It would be dope to go shopping with you.

I have had both the Hudson and Havana. Both are great! They are similar fits. Both can be business formal to casual depending on the fabric, color and pairing. A dark blue Havana looks just as nice as a Napoli IMO. The Havana and especially the Hudson provide for a little more room in the shoulders. Also the 38R and 40R are a close fit in the shoulders and chest with these models. I have a couple of each. The main difference is the arm length, and weather you are looking for the hip slim look, or a normal nice fitting suit look. I say a suit is great for all occasions as well as most work atmospheres. The look of the suit (formal/informal) will mostly depend on shirt, shoes, belt, and tie. The dark blue in a solid pattern is the way to go. Very versatile. And jacket and pants can be worn with other combinations. Example, Blue jacket with tan pants. SS makes great stuff at a great price. I have been happy with all my purchases.

I'm concerned about my attire and the impression I want to make given the industry. Looking at some pictures from this event in the past it looks pretty casual/business casual for the most part. I did see some people wearing full suits and ties however I don't want to ostracize any potential customers (my customers are mainly cultivators).

As the founder and managing member of the company, should I wear a suit and tie?

What would you guys recommend my partner and I wear based on this scenario?

To me the impression is not the suit and tie or jacket and trousers. It's the fit of said jacket or suit. I think the fit speaks volumes.

Last edited:
How do you guys coordinate mismatching blazers with trousers?

I want to try that look out but always feels it's off. But I see it on other folks and it looks great.

I want to try that look out but always feels it's off. But I see it on other folks and it looks great.

A good pair of khakis goes with most dark jackets. Solid blue trousers work with most jackets too. Black jackets and black pants don't work with much of anything. IMO. I think the key is to put something together and rock it with confidence. As in my post above a good fit and wearing it with confidence is key.

Navy blazer with khakis or with grey slacks reminds me of a typical old white guy fit lol. Maybe cause that's most of the people I work with.

I think making those fits work is also pretty dependent on the shoes you wear. They can end up making/breaking your fit.

Fabric/texture has a lot to do with it. You want to avoid looking like you're wearing pants from one suit and a jacket from another. I think Ian from Squaller to Baller show cases how the use texture to your advantage in this post from AoS:

http://articlesofstyle.com/43084/engineering-the-perfect-business-wardrobe-feat-ian-anderson/

As Adrian mentioned, patch pockets make the jacket more casual and gives it a bit more versatility. I usually prefer doing the full suit ensemble versus breaking it up but I have used my jackets as separates here and there.

anyone have any experience with the new republic drivers ? wondering if i should go true to size on those too ?

I know everyone is hyped on the NR Chelsea but if are looking for another option you may want to look at the Loake Mitchum. Adrian turned me on to them. Usually go for close to $300 but Stuart's London has them for $165 shipped to the states. What is amazing is I received my pair within in 48hrs of placing the order.

https://www.stuartslondon.com/loake-mitchum-brown-suede-leather-chelsea-boot-p8539

I have yet to wear them so here is a pic that Adrian posted a few days ago.

Last edited:
Beckham likes that combo a lot.

I used to avoid wearing brown boots with black clothes but it works and I like my brown boots better than the black ones.

Back
Top Bottom