Dressing Better Vol 2.0

That's why you find stuff that fits. You can easily replicate those looks if you want to.
I think fit is the most important thing. Most people can't seem to get that part right. Even I struggle with it, especially with shirts.
WJ4 I think you have some of the best fitting shirts that I've seen. Here and on SF
Agreed.

Fit is THE most important thing. 

That's why you find stuff that fits. You can easily replicate those looks if you want to.
I think fit is the most important thing. Most people can't seem to get that part right. Even I struggle with it, especially with shirts.
WJ4 I think you have some of the best fitting shirts that I've seen. Here and on SF
Thanks, man. I'm just an ordinary cat that doesn't realy fall into either category at SF it seems. I will chime in later about this. I see you got a blog too, is that new? Will add you later!

Agreed.

Fit is THE most important thing. 
Some people actually go for the anti fit look. Not my cup of tea, but still interesting stuff. Slim fit is timeless though, it will always look good.

Thanks, man. I'm just an ordinary cat that doesn't realy fall into either category at SF it seems. I will chime in later about this. I see you got a blog too, is that new? Will add you later!

naw I've had tumblr for awhile one just turn into an interior design blob so I decided to just make another

Last edited:
Hey Fellas!

I have a black euro/slim fitting suit that i am wearing to a wedding that i am in. The groom purchased ties for us to wear but they are the standard "fatter" ties. Will this look terrible with my suit? Is their a way to possibly get the tie tailored for a slimmer look?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!

Please don't dress like herbs in this thread.

Dressing better means dressing better, not just because RFX tells you its chill.

I always get flack in for this even though I've sparsely posted in this thread for the past year or so. :lol: |I

So after figuring out how to reply to both posts at the same time lol..
To retrospect90 initially when you start changing your style of dress, especially if it is somewhat dramatic people will notice and people will talk. I know I had that happen to me a lot, especially the comments about trying to be someone else. Ideas to dress better and keep it simple, is still do you. You mentioned t-shirts, why not wear some chinos with some plain tee's and some Jack Purcell's or dress shoes for example. Hoody, replace the hoody with a V-neck sweater and a button down top, change the sweats for some jeans, shoes you can do some boots or some dress shoes as well. Plus at the end of the day, who cares, if you feel comfortable and walk around with that confidence the comments will stop.
CJ003, I completely agree as well with the "damn dude bought that suit too damn small" comment. As most of you know I'm not a small guy so the assumption is always to wear loose clothing, super loose clothing, ah no. I've gotten from my co-workers (I'm a teacher), specifically my male co-workers the your suit is too small, it's isn't it just fits properly. The main one I still get to this day is again from my male co-workers, regarding where I'm going later in the day (like a date, interview, usually it's "ahhh you must have a date") when it's just the fact that I give a crap about how I look. It's not that they don't but I can tell you right now that even the smallest guy at work wears his clothing about 2 sizes too big and square toe shoes are staple amongst most of the men at work or the pointy slip ons. If I even wear a blazer to work most of the guys think I'm either going on a date or trying to show them up. I actually got fed up the last week of school, since no students are present mostly all the males just dress like if they're at home, and I wore a button down, jeans and a blazer (my Bespoke suit jacket to be exact). The comment was made and as much as I insisted that I just wanted to wear a blazer they kept at it. I responded with "no I just care about how I dress and considering I've waited 6 months for this jacket, I'm wearing it." My principal is in a suit everyday and not well fitting ones so the times I've worn suits to work which fit better than his, I've even gotten sarcastic comments from him. I don't care, my thing is, it's not my fault I know how to dress . Not surprising it's the women at work whom I get the most compliments from. At least 3-4 of the women (staff of 45 teachers, about 28-30 female), compliment me on a weekly basis and I think the men at work hate that. I once was told by one of the women that my pants were too short because I cut them at my ankle for my loafers and no socks, I let her know that no this is how you are suppose to wear your pants not having 8 inches of fabric piling up, it shut her up. Too many people don't know how to dress properly in terms of fit and proportion and that's why when they see people like a lot of us here who take the time to put ourselves together and wear things that fit that we are "trying too hard."
At the end of the day, do you. Be comfortable. Be Confident. Be You.

This is actually really good advice. I think i am going to start to post in this tread i was a lurker in the first one but i am in the beginning stages of "dressing better" for lack of a better word. At work its a pretty laid back environment so people wear jeans sneakers t shirts nothing crazy but the higher ups all wear either a full suit or at least a shirt and tie. When the ceo or someone from corporate come or if i know that i am going to visit a client. I will put on a shirt/tie and slacks i always get complements and people from other departments ask "oh why are you dressed up". I am in a middle management position but being that i am young it looks weird to the older people in other departments to see me so young walking out of meeting but i think if i slowly mix in different things a shirt/tie wont be a shocker down the line.

Glad this thread got restarted. Ive always wanted to upgrade my wardrobe but I don't have a big budget, and I'm taller (6'5, 35in waist) so I have trouble finding stuff that fits. Hope to start piecing together a nice fall wardrobe soon so I'll be keeping up on the thread this time.

I must say I'm dissapointed. This was a chance to get the thread started the right way with FAQ, Q&A, a new name, etc by a thread starter. Starting a new volume/thread... Just for the sake of starting it... Meh

Back to the drawing board...

Ksteezy first to post pics, :lol:

Glad to see this new thread started back up again, gonna miss the old one but it's good to start fresh...I'm gonna be ordering those pieces to make a full grain belt today, and I'll post pics once I get them and finish the staining process and everything

yo can you post the link for that DIY belt ?

went to find it the other day but the platform change lost the post

Thanks

also anyone have a good plug for dress socks? some nice argyle ones/pattern or just different than the typical black/charcoal/navy

Last edited:
reposting from old dressing better thread where it got deleted...

52lyj6.jpg

new pickups from this past weekend. Jack Purcells were $17 bucks from Macy's. The Allen Edmonds Mctavish were clearanced down to $65 at Nordstrom's Rack. can't pick up any for you guys cause these were the last ones..

I dunno how to wear the AEs though

what color pants? outfit ideas? It's black leather, but with a brownish/cherry midsole. there's also contrast stitching. they're very casual...thinking about returning them. bought them just because they were so cheap.

here they are on AE's website. the leather is no where near that shiny though.

http://www.allenedmonds.c..._SF4035_1_40000000001_-1

reposting from old dressing better thread where it got deleted...

new pickups from this past weekend. Jack Purcells were $17 bucks from Macy's. The Allen Edmonds Mctavish were clearanced down to $65 at Nordstrom's Rack. can't pick up any for you guys cause these were the last ones..
I dunno how to wear the AEs though
what color pants? outfit ideas? It's black leather, but with a brownish/cherry midsole. there's also contrast stitching. they're very casual...thinking about returning them. bought them just because they were so cheap.
here they are on AE's website. the leather is no where near that shiny though.
http://www.allenedmonds.c..._SF4035_1_40000000001_-1
What size are they?  Just in case you return them, I would be interested. 

But if you keep them, I would start with some grey chinos.

I also hear the "clothes too small" comments from other idiotic men. Back in the 50s and 60s, American men used to care about how they looked. They got their clothes tailored, their shoes shined, etc. Nowadays some people tell me that I'm "trying too hard" even though I do the same thing men here did for centuries. Nowadays, most American men wear choppa suits, dress shirts that fit like sails, oversized/undersized ties, dress pants that look like Ghostface Killah's jeans, and humongous dull dress shoes with square toes. So of course they're gonna hate and accuse people in this thread of putting themselves on a high horse ; they just have 0 knowledge of how to look presentable.

And I agree with wj4 and the other posters who mentioned how ridiculous the GQ suits are. Those things are too tight, too tapered, and too trendy. IMO Mad Men is the best example of how suits should fit. They have smaller guys like Pete in slim tapered suits, bigger (relatively) guys like Draper in fuller cuts, and guys built like Sterling in "in between" type of fits. You can't just throw on a skinny suit if you're 6' 180+ or a full cut suit when you're 5'8 150 without looking foolish

Last edited:
Regarding the cloths too tight on GQ, wasnt there a backstory pic of how suits are pinched with clothespins and whatnot during shoots to make the suits tighter? No way would those super slim suits be comfortable, or even functional in real life if they were that tight.

Regarding the cloths too tight on GQ, wasnt there a backstory pic of how suits are pinched with clothespins and whatnot during shoots to make the suits tighter? No way would those super slim suits be comfortable, or even functional in real life if they were that tight.

I'm not really sure about GQ but I know with J Crew they put pins on the back of their models

Put This On is a great source...I thought this was interesting as I am currently revamping my shoes.

The Seven-Shoe Wardrobe

The longer I write about men’s clothing, the more disinclined I am to say what men should own. There’s tremendous variation in classic men’s style, and given that people live different lifestyles in different regions, it seems only the individual can say what’s right for him.

Still, I’ve always found it interesting to read what others think comprises a basic wardrobe, and have found such articles incredible useful for my own wardrobe-building endeavors. So long as people use these as ways to think more deeply about what they should own, I think they have value.

So, here’s what I think makes up a basic shoe wardrobe. Seven shoes, designed for weekday and weekend wear.

First are your “formal” shoes, which can be roughly divided into those with open lacing and those with closed. Closed laced shoes, otherwise known as balmorals or oxfords, have eyelet tabs that are sewn underneath the front part of the shoe. They’re a bit more formal than open laced designs, which are also commonly known as derbys or bluchers.

The black oxford: I think you should own at least one pair of black oxfords. You can buy these with punched decorations around the toe caps or go full brogue, but for the purposes of keeping to just seven shoes, I recommend a plain toe design or something with a smooth toe cap. These will be your most formal shoes and they can be worn with suits to weddings, funerals, and formal receptions. Even if you don’t go to such things often, you will at some point, and you’ll need appropriate footwear. Plus, as I’ve written before, I think men should have a pair of black shoes for the evening. Black calf just gleams better at night.

Two less formal dress shoes: Of course, few of us are in a position where we need to wear suits often. Most men wear sport jackets and odd trousers, if not something even more casual. For these purposes, you’ll need two less formal dress shoes to rotate between during the workweek. There are a couple of options.

The first are bluchers (open laced designs). Here the eyelet tabs are sewn on top of the front section of the shoe, making the foot less “dressed up.” For these, you can choose a plain toe design or something with a toe cap. Toe caps make the shoes slightly more informal, and something with decorative perforations around the edges of the cap is more informal still. For something truly informal, you can choose Norwegian split toes, like the pair pictured above, or wingtips, which have a rustic sensibility.

Your other choice is to choose a brown oxford, which is more informal than black, and perhaps something in a casual material, such as suede. Like bluchers, these can have varying degrees of formality depending on the simplicity of the design. Toe caps and decorative perforations will always make a pair of shoes more informal, regardless if they’re of open or closed lacing.

I suggest that these two pairs be brown. Assuming you buy something of quality, brown develops a more interesting depth and richness than black. Plus, it arguably looks much better during the day. So now we have one pair of black oxfords for formal events and nighttime wear, and two pairs of brown dress shoes (either bluchers or a more casual oxford) for the workweek.

The penny loafer: Now for the weekend. For spring and summer, I suggest slip-ons. There are a dozen variations – driving mocs, horsebit loafers, boat shoes, etc. For something truly basic, I suggest brown penny loafers. The penny loafer is the sine non-qua shoe for post-war “Ivy Look,” but they don’t necessarily have to look Ivy or preppy. There are a dozen silhouettes these days to fit different styles, and a penny loafer can look as at home with a Continental look as it does with an American. Wear these with or without socks, depending on the weather and your style, but if you go without, be sure to know how to do it properly.

The chukka boot: For fall and winter weekends, I recommend boots. Again, there are a dozen of variations. Balmoral boots are quite dressy, and something like a jodhpur is very casual and rustic. I think the most basic and easy-to-wear boot, however, is the chukka, sometimes also referred to as the ankle boot. In some areas of the world, it’s acceptable to wear certain chukka boots with suits, but I think they’re most safely worn as a leisure shoe. Pair them with jeans, moleskins, corduroys, or heavy woolen flannels, and anything as casual as a quilted jacket or waxed cotton coat, to something a bit dressier such as a tweed sports jacket.

Sneakers: For near year-round casual wear, I also think you should own a pair of canvas sneakers – Chuck Taylors, Jack Purcells, Vans Authentics, Supergas, Spring Courts, and the like. These are a relatively cheap way to add another pair of shoes to your weekend rotation. Each retails for between $40 and $60, and can be had for a bit less if you wait for sales. Plus, white canvas sneakers can look more harmonious with certain casual outfits than leather shoes of any stripe.

The seventh pair: The seventh pair will be up to you. If you live in a climate with harsh winters, perhaps you can pick up something from Jesse’s list here. If you live in warmer weather conditions, perhaps you’d like a more interesting pair of slip-ons, such as monk straps or tassel loafers. The point here is to choose something according to your needs or whimsy, in addition to what I think are the bare basics above.

And that’s the seven-shoe wardrobe. Enough to get you through nearly any occasion on any day in any season, and with enough options to allow you to properly rotate through your shoes while not having so many pairs that anything will be neglected. This to me is a basic and well-rounded shoe collection.

http://putthison.com/post/27558524428/the-seven-shoe-wardrobe-the-longer-i-write-about

Last edited:
Will lurk.. and eventually post more purchases.. >D

Edit: Nice write up Grizzlyboy.

Last edited:
Just got my suit out the tailors. Im not ready to post pics of it yet I need a belt, shirt and tie.

But here are some others things I have picked up.

Ferragamo Boat Shoes. I have been watching these at my local Saks @ $295. Almost copped at $250. Found them about 2 weeks ago for $132.

RAF SIMONS Derby/ Oxfords. Could not find these in the states anywhere. Regularly $900 found for $287.

Burberry Brit shirts are fire, this one is darker than pictured. Originally $275, I found it for $180. Still a bit more than I like but it fit so good that I am taking my shirts to be tailored to its measurements.

Dressing to your body/proportions is extremely important.

If you are going for a timeless look, you will get a lot of flack from all types of folks.

Confidence in yourself and your look is important, dress for you, not for them and you will be alright.

The looks in GQ, Esquire, Details, Mad Men, etc is a great way to gauge what you like.

The looks on GQ are deceptive, and they often use men with Euro frames (slender, smaller both in weight and height).

Fortunately, I'm not 5'5-5'8, I mean clothes look good but still wouldn't want to be that height... no offense to my vertically challenged brethren.

Mad Men is a great way to see how different looks look on different shapes. You can also see more shows being a bit more fashion forward while being a little fashion backwards (ode to better and more stylish times).

Happy hunting, there are a lot of deals out there if you are just starting your wardrobe. Personal opinion, when you are starting should be quantity over quality... unless you want to wear the same shirt three days a week. As time goes on, pick up pieces, learn where to shop. Once your wardrobe is robust flip the switch to quality over quantity and slowly replace the worn and "cheap" pieces with high quality pieces.

Is it possible for me to cop a good suit for $200-$250 range ?
And if anybody knows about a tailor in Orlando that would be clutch too

Last edited:
Good? No

Decent and functional? Yes

Yelp is a good source to find a tailor, however the process is really trial and error until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Is it possible for me to cop a good suit for $200-$250 range ?
And if anybody knows about a tailor in Orlando that would be clutch too

It depends on your size and your resources. I find Balenciaga, Zenga, Prada, Versace, RAF Simons, Jil Sanders suits below 500 all the time.

The key is to get off NT and into some other sites like StyleForum, dudes come up with some steals. They arent better that what can be found on purseforum though. Those women find killer deals. I lurk that site like a hawk. I learned how to get high-end in-season clothing 20% lower than retail.

Im not a shopper in the traditional sense. I am more of a deal finder.

Back
Top Bottom