Dressing Better Vol 2.0

A haters gonna hate. I can say from personal experience dress for the job you want and if someone doesn't like it even a peer (eff em). At one point I dressed up to work regularly then I got comfortable in my job and just became a khaki's and button down kinda guy. As I've been becoming more active in this thread and trying to prepare myself for grad school again I've been dressing up alot more. Several of my supervisors have taken note and have mentioned it in passing that they really appreciate the step up....

The funniest thing about my "dressing better" is that I have acquired very few new pieces I'm just finally putting them to good use. I owe a large part of that to this thread. Thank you NT for being NT.

The 'fine-line' and 'dress for the job you want' argument is something I can attest to.

Coming from an Ad agency setup, it's a little easier to show more character through 'Dressing Better' because it adds to company culture. But from experience when I was initially an intern, I picked important events (e.g. Christmas party, Charity events) to an off-day Wednesday/Thursday to turn it up and let me be me. Often I would go out after work for a drink/date and even if I didn't, I would tell my co-workers that anyway if they tried to tease me even as the new guy.

For the most part though fit, shoes, color combinations, and details/accessories (in that order IMO) can set you apart. Basically the foundation of this thread lol. I would get compliments from my female co-workers just on a plain fitted white oxford with a braided belt alone. But at the same time, my fits in combination with hard work got me to move from intern to FT doing client-facing work. Adding-value! Haha.

Generally speaking, you just have to gage the temperature of what's appropriate relative to your peers and kill em when be.

Pinoy, keep doing your thing man.

I enjoy wearing suits and all that occasionally but I might be in the minority here by saying that I would absolutely hate wearing a suit every single day. I'm not knocking any of you that do, do what you do in your comfort zone, yall still look sharp. But, I am so happy that I have a job and a position that allows me to wear what I want to. I only throw on a suit 3-4 times a year, maybe, if that.

I enjoy wearing suits and all that occasionally but I might be in the minority here by saying that I would absolutely hate wearing a suit every single day. I'm not knocking any of you that do, do what you do in your comfort zone, yall still look sharp. But, I am so happy that I have a job and a position that allows me to wear what I want to. I only throw on a suit 3-4 times a year, maybe, if that.
I started to have to dress up more often in college, so when I went back my second semester, I thought to myself that if I'm going to have situations when I needed to dress formally, I might as well learn to enjoy it and get comfortable doing it.  You can really tell the difference between the people who have no idea what they're doing and aren't comfortable in ties and those who took the time to learn how to pull it off.

Wearing a suit everyday is fine as long as you're comfortable doing it.

The only hate you'll get is peeps thinking you're "trying too hard". I don't see any issues with wearing a suit in a junior financial analyst position..especially for a place like Bloomberg.

I am grateful to be able to wear whatever I want too. Although I do wear slacks and a shirt 3-4x of the week, I do have the option of wearing a tee and jeans.

Corporate accounting FTW. Don't need to face any clients. :hat

I love wearing a suit, but I agree, can't do it everyday. First of all, I only have a handful, so the constant dry cleaning would destroy them, :lol

Even though we don't deal with humidity that much in SoCal, it gets pretty hot. My office is business casual during the summer, so it's chinos/slacks with a dress shirt, no tie. Unless I have a presentation, orientation or class I have to conduct. In the fall/winter/spring we are required to wear a tie. I bring a full suit, but I am guilty of leaving my jacket in my office or sometimes in the car, simply because it's not cold enough for me to lug it around.

Don't see nothing wrong with what Pinoy is doing, if he handles his workload and handles the resentment of his peers, he'll be fine.

Then again you shouldn't be looking at them, you got to look past them, ;)

Just an update. Moved out of the training portion ahead of schedule today and started work on the actual project. The other three members of my team are not likely to catch up since they are running into a lot of roadblocks. I'm guessing they will finish up sometime midweek. Supervisor even had me complete extra training in someone else's batch for whatever reason. Completed that with time to spare before I left.
:smokin

Just an update. Moved out of the training portion ahead of schedule today and started work on the actual project. The other three members of my team are not likely to catch up since they are running into a lot of roadblocks. I'm guessing they will finish up sometime midweek. Supervisor even had me complete extra training in someone else's batch for whatever reason. Completed that with time to spare before I left.
:smokin

props man, I've been graduated for 2 years and still havent been able to find a job. Keep up the good work. :(

props man, I've been graduated for 2 years and still havent been able to find a job. Keep up the good work. :(

Keep your head up. It's really hard to get a job...I graduated with an Economics degree from a good school and was only been able to get internships here and there for the past 2 years until a few months ago. @#$% is frustrating because even if you have the grades and experience, for some reason you get looked over. I only got my current job cause my dad knows someone at my company and was able to convince him to at least give me an interview. Just try to do really simple jobs here and there that are a little relevant to what you're ultimately aiming for, which is what I did with my internships. In between my internships, I was a private English/math tutor for my parents' friends' kids :lol

and yeah Pinoy, I don't know how you do it. Even in the Bay Area where it never gets that hot, I'm usually suffering if I have to wear a suit during the daytime. Luckily in the West Coast, most people don't care at all how you dress at work. I wear button ups and chinos, which is pretty casual,but I've seen people in my office come in typical old man casual fits (t shirts, wrangler jeans, running shoes) :x :lol Then again, this is a software company, so there isn't any expectation for how to dress

Last edited:
Keep your head up. It's really hard to get a job...I graduated with an Economics degree from a good school and was only been able to get internships here and there for the past 2 years until a few months ago. @#$% is frustrating because even if you have the grades and experience, for some reason you get looked over. I only got my current job cause my dad knows someone at my company and was able to convince him to at least give me an interview. Just try to do really simple jobs here and there that are a little relevant to what you're ultimately aiming for, which is what I did with my internships. In between my internships, I was a private English/math tutor for my parents' friends' kids :lol

Thanks man, the grocery store grind is definitely not what I wanted to do, especially since I've been there 4 years now and am just sick of it. All I really want is sundays off to play some soccer haha. I've been doing side work with the SJ Earthquakes and MLS but haven't been able to break through yet. But enough of that, don't want to derail the thread.

Keep applying and keep polishing your résumé. Note that you need to tailor your resume accordingly to whatever job you're applying to. If you can, pick up internships to strengthen your résumé. For a first job, be hungry and get the job even if it is 50 miles away or you have to work graveyard shift.

Something will come up soon :)

Thanks man, the grocery store grind is definitely not what I wanted to do, especially since I've been there 4 years now and am just sick of it. All I really want is sundays off to play some soccer haha. I've been doing side work with the SJ Earthquakes and MLS but haven't been able to break through yet. But enough of that, don't want to derail the thread.
No thread derailment at all, bro. This is why some of us network and stay in touch and talk about things beside clothing.

Anybody happen to know a Bonobos discount code? Need to order some stuff and can't seem to find one that works

Which grey suede do you guys prefer? bushacre or distressed? what's the difference, is it the sole? The bushacre is on sale on amazon from $62 and up, probably nothing new.

^^thats a nice jacket. Price is :x though
I may consider at 40% off :lol

Which grey suede do you guys prefer? bushacre or distressed? what's the difference, is it the sole? The bushacre is on sale on amazon from $62 and up, probably nothing new.

I like the 1st one better. Note that both will get dirty pretty quickly too. The textures look different. The former looks like the naps are longer and natural. The latter looks like it's been washed for a dried out appeal.

Anybody happen to know a Bonobos discount code? Need to order some stuff and can't seem to find one that works
Have you ordered from them before? I believe they provide a code for first time customers. Otherwise, they are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom