Dressing Better Vol 2.0

What's some good sites to get some of these things? I been meaning to make the transition from the typical jeans, tee ish... but idk where to start.

What's some good sites to get some of these things? I been meaning to make the transition from the typical jeans, tee ish... but idk where to start.

Start small. Go to a local thrift store and find some pieces that you think may fit the style you're looking for. Don't go and blow cash on expensive pieces if you'll never wear them. Get comfortable and grounded in your new look and then expand your horizons.

The thrift store has some good finds. You can however weed out some of the brands by exploring some of the following sites...

www.jcrew.com
www.hickorees.com
www.unionmadegoods.com
www.endclothing.com
www.mrporter.com
www.barneys.com
www.tresbienshop.com
www.contextclothing.com

PutThisOn wrote up a nice article about thrift store shopping as well - http://putthison.com/post/8741371826/how-to-thrift-for-menswear-part-one-thrifting

Everyone's style is different. Some like to let the fitment of their clothing speak for them, others are brand loyal, mixing and matching colors, patterns, and fabrics are big with some as well, etc. Find who you are first by spending less and then you can master being efficient in your larger purchases.

Last edited:
Besides a lap top, what does a man carry in a messager bag?

Hmmm, books, notebooks, wallet, headphones, sometimes lunch.

Thanks for the tips, I really like Knomo's grey bag, very nice and it seems practical, yet affordable.

I've been rocking this Archival Clothing Flap Musette Bag. I love it. It's an inexpensive simple piece with clean lines and it houses everything I need and then some.

Few other colors...

Archival sells out of this piece pretty quickly but there may be some available at a few of their stockists.

Last edited:
Start small. Go to a local thrift store and find some pieces that you think may fit the style you're looking for. Don't go and blow cash on expensive pieces if you'll never wear them. Get comfortable and grounded in your new look and then expand your horizons.
The thrift store has some good finds. You can however weed out some of the brands by exploring some of the following sites...
www.jcrew.com
www.hickorees.com
www.unionmadegoods.com
www.endclothing.com
www.mrporter.com
www.barneys.com
www.tresbienshop.com
www.contextclothing.com
PutThisOn wrote up a nice article about thrift store shopping as well - http://putthison.com/post/8741371826/how-to-thrift-for-menswear-part-one-thrifting
Everyone's style is different. Some like to let the fitment of their clothing speak for them, others are brand loyal, mixing and matching colors, patterns, and fabrics are big with some as well, etc. Find who you are first by spending less and then you can master being efficient in your larger purchases.
Thanks. I think I'm gonna start looking around for thrift stores today. I looked at that jcrew site was overwhelmed by the prices since I haven't even tried a style yet. I'll probably come back to this thread with pics of some things I picked up within a weeks time. For now, I'll read that article.

Quoting because no one answered me :nerd:

That's usually what I do. I have this black/brown leather reversible Polo belt that I wear a lot. I would like to invest in a nice untanned leather belt to wear with jeans when I have some more money to spend.

They're wabashas. In fact the reason the ones on jcrew may look different compared to the picture is because the ones in the model picture may have had some type of oil applied to them hence why they look different. See the link below if you don't believe me.
http://iamphotograph.com/2011/08/my-red-wing-wabasha-chukka-boots-mink-oil/

its possible but it seems there is a pebble texture to the leather and also the midsole is quite different from the one posted on jcrew

its possible but it seems there is a pebble texture to the leather and also the midsole is quite different from the one posted on jcrew
as mentioned before, J crew isn't the only one to have wabashas. The one's in my link look way different from J crews yet they're wabashas.

as mentioned before, J crew isn't the only one to have wabashas. The one's in my link look way different from J crews yet they're wabashas.
They could also be Eastland's 1955 collection

Men's Stonington 1955 Camp Moc Boot
http://www.eastlandshoe.com/product/mens+stonington+1955+camp+moc+boot.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

or Made in Maine

http://www.eastlandshoe.com/category/mens+shoes/mens+made+in+maine+usa.do

Last edited:
alright, just wondering. It doens't look shabby, might try it, but wouldn't the wax rub off places you'd be sitting for a long time? Buttocks heat(pause) anyone?

When it comes to blazers should you get the exact size or size up?  My chest measured at a 40.3, so would a 40 be good or is that cutting it close?  This will be my first blazer. 

When it comes to blazers should you get the exact size or size up?  My chest measured at a 40.3, so would a 40 be good or is that cutting it close?  This will be my first blazer. 
Get the one that has shoulders that fit you properly.

This is a broad question because we don't know: A) the brand, and B) the cut. As long as there's no tension on the buttons once they're buttoned and the shoulders fit, and arm holes aren't too low...everything else can be tailored relatively easily.

Made to measure Blazer's are always your best bet. Of course they are the more expensive option. 40.3... I'd probably go with a 40. Fit should be something that you are comfortable with. Try it on and get it Tailored.

Get the one that has shoulders that fit you properly.
This is a broad question because we don't know: A) the brand, and B) the cut. As long as there's no tension on the buttons once they're buttoned and the shoulders fit, and arm holes aren't too low...everything else can be tailored relatively easily.
Made to measure Blazer's are always your best bet. Of course they are the more expensive option. 40.3... I'd probably go with a 40. Fit should be something that you are comfortable with. Try it on and get it Tailored.
 Ok, that is very helpful.  I was trying on the BR tailored fit blazer and I thought it fit pretty good.  As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will do so.

OK so the first one is the 42R, and I thought it was a little big.

The second is the 40R and I felt like it fit exactly how I wanted it to, but did not know if I should get the exact fit.  Dont mind the lapel, my gf took the picture and didnt notice lol.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom