Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Fun with socks... :smile:

Almost bought those. Picked up a pair of the dinosaurs instead. Also a short sleeved navy gingham.

I got those too. Both colors. :lol:

I need help NT fam.

I'll be representing my company (wine company) at a Academy Awards charity gala this weekend, pouring one of our wines. The crowd attending the event is wealthy, so they already clean up nice, but because it's in association with the academy awards, fools are gonna be showing up in tuxedos and full on gala attire. I've got a sponsor table, where I'll be pouring and speaking about the wine, so I'm not really going to be wandering around the space.

Never really been to this kind of event, so I'm clueless as to what to wear. In my head I was thinking:
- black button down shirt
- slim black slacks
- tan oxfords
- tie: No Clue

Am I gonna look like a fool NT? Or can someone provide some advice to lead me in the right direction?

For all those that are looking for a good deal on the GQ magazine, $5 for one year subscribtion.  ONLY FOR 2 DAYS

Post your email addy and I will forward you the email for it.

Hook a brotha up: cb1027@msn.com, thanks again

Today and my first entry into the current challenge:

Clean fit Wis (I need to cop a fair isle sweater), did something similar today too for my midterm presentation in my entrepreneurship class today:

Found my belt after these pictures since I saw the pants were sagging :lol:

Forgot to add, my layering entry for this challenge

I like it. For a presentation, that's a good look...some color both nothing obnoxious.

Last edited:
i know a lot of people say that a charcoal suit and brown dress shoes works but i have to disagree. i think a suit that dark gray would look better with black shoes

Yeah I've usually worn it with black shoes before but its just personal preference, I actually like how it looks with brown more than black tho after seeing it in person all day.

I need help NT fam.

I'll be representing my company (wine company) at a Academy Awards charity gala this weekend, pouring one of our wines. The crowd attending the event is wealthy, so they already clean up nice, but because it's in association with the academy awards, fools are gonna be showing up in tuxedos and full on gala attire. I've got a sponsor table, where I'll be pouring and speaking about the wine, so I'm not really going to be wandering around the space.

Never really been to this kind of event, so I'm clueless as to what to wear. In my head I was thinking:
- slim black slacks
- tan oxfords

Am I gonna look like a fool NT? Or can someone provide some advice to lead me in the right direction?
to be honest...yes you will look like a fool. black shirt is a no go. black pants and tan shoes is a big mistake too. you're there to sell and talk up your product so look the part. anything less than a suit and you will look horribly out of place if everyone else is rocking tuxes

I need help NT fam.

- slim black slacks
- tan oxfords

to be honest...yes you will look like a fool. black shirt is a no go. black pants and tan shoes is a big mistake too. you're there to sell and talk up your product so look the part. anything less than a suit and you will look horribly out of place if everyone else is rocking tuxes
+1 definition of fool. Man people gotta learn to break out of this idea of "black shirt is a go to"
Unless you are working at applebee's, burn that black shirt.

I agree with TypeR 1000% If people will be getting this dressy, get a suit. If your only shoe choice are tan oxfords, go with either light grey or navy blue.

Yeah I've usually worn it with black shoes before but its just personal preference, I actually like how it looks with brown more than black tho after seeing it in person all day.
it might also be the lighting that makes your suit look darker than it really is

So an L in shirts fits me fine standing still but the chest/back/shoulder area is too tight. Sleeves sometimes a little short too. An XL has the chest/sleeves just right but the length and the overall fit is way too baggy.

Am I better off copping XL's and just taking them to a tailor? Or should I just rock an L and not worry about it?

I am in no way shape or form this muscular :lol:, but it was an example of what I was talking about. Not so much arms pointed downwards but in front of me is when the size L shirts get tight. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
^thats a pretty vague description. i would continue to shop around until you find a brand that fits you relatively well off the rack just because there are so many choices and fits vary greatly between brands. or maybe if there is a brand you do particularly like see if their shirts come in slim fit

Like when I reach my arms forward, the upper back area and shoulders get really tight on the shirt (size L), but the rest of the shirt fits fine

bearclawd, I have that same problem but I just found that J. Crew slim fit shirts probably fit best off the rack for me. I tried a Large and the chest and shoulder area were way too tight but the length was fine (to me) the XL wasn't all that much longer, would like it a bit shorter but I'll work with that :lol: best bet is to go try them on in different places.

Last edited:
bearclawd, I have that same problem but I just found that J. Crew slim fit shirts probably fit best off that rack for me. I tried a Large and the chest and shoulder area were way too tight but the length was fine (to me) the XL wasn't all that much longer, would like it a bit shorter but I'll work with that :lol: best bet is to go try them on in different places.

Thought I was the only one. :lol:

Thanks fam. I think I might go XL slim fit route and try my luck. I'll probably just tailor these XL's that I currently have.

Last edited:
So an L in shirts fits me fine standing still but the chest/back/shoulder area is too tight. Sleeves sometimes a little short too. An XL has the chest/sleeves just right but the length and the overall fit is way too baggy.

Am I better off copping XL's and just taking them to a tailor? Or should I just rock an L and not worry about it?

I am in no way shape or form this muscular :lol:, but it was an example of what I was talking about. Not so much arms pointed downwards but in front of me is when the size L shirts get tight. If that makes sense.

So you need something that fits like an XL through the chest,shoulders,and back but length wise and sleeve wise like an L?

imo absolutely nothing wrong with a black shirt, just have to know how to pull it off without looking like a douchey club rat (best worn casually, layered, etc.)

Last edited:
absolutely nothing wrong with a black shirt, just have to know how to pull it off well without looking like a douchey club rat (best worn casually, layered, etc.)
How would you wear a black shirt with layering? It will look absolutely horrible with nearly all colors in my head.

I had to wear a black shirt once to a fashion event....it was an all black only, I absolutely disliked it. I wore a black sport shirt, black jeans, and my black Margielas. After the event was over, I gave the shirt away.

Black shirts are for villains, and waiters. The only times I like black shirts is when someone is doing the Ann D/Yohji Yomamoto/next level look.

I got the same problem my man,a few suggestions for specific items,If you want dress shirts try Express 1MX Slim fit in an XL for Polos try Ralph Lauren Custom Fit XL they are roomier in the chest but length and sleeve wise closer to a classic fit...

Love that sweater Wis. Color looks very similiar to the one you gave me. Is it J. Crew? :nerd:
Yep, it's from J. Crew. It's one of the few items that never made it to the sale :lol:

RE: Charcoal suit and brown shoes...I used to think the same. I thought brown shoes and charcoal suit is as bad as black shoes with navy suits. I now think that black and brown shoes will go with pretty much any color under the sun. It's funny how one changes thoughts over the years. Last year, I liked lower rise pants, but now I like higher rise trousers.

How would you wear a black shirt with layering? It will look absolutely horrible with nearly all colors in my head.

I had to wear a black shirt once to a fashion event....it was an all black only, I absolutely disliked it. I wore a black sport shirt, black jeans, and my black Margielas. After the event was over, I gave the shirt away.

Black shirts are for villains, and waiters. The only times I like black shirts is when someone is doing the Ann D/Yohji Yomamoto/next level look.

I'm italian, man

Back
Top Bottom