Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Forget what I said. Picked the wrong font for one of the towels called to get it changed and she said she can't change it and they aren't honoring the prices. Hopefully it still slips through the cracks like some others did

Anyone here ever ordered from j crew factory? I'm just wondering if the quality is on par with regular j crew stuff.

I have a bunch of sports shirts from them and can't tell the difference between them and the shirts from the regular store. My stuff is from a few years ago though, not sure if quality has dipped.

Anyone here ever ordered from j crew factory? I'm just wondering if the quality is on par with regular j crew stuff.
There's a few items that get sent to the outlets from the regular stores. Mostly though, the items are made for the outlets to reflect their price points. That's why the tags also look different. Quality is day and night to me.

i have plenty from both jcf and jcrew and never had an issue. there is a difference for sure but the quality is decent for the price

There's a few items that get sent to the outlets from the regular stores. Mostly though, the items are made for the outlets to reflect their price points. That's why the tags also look different. Quality is day and night to me.
This has been my experience also.

Last edited:
Anyone know when jcrew ludlow suits usually go on sale?

Not very frequently unfortunately. And even when they do, they don't stay in Ludlow very long. Ludlow does not want to maintain the image of a "sale retailer" They'll hold on to sale suiting for a short period of time and then transfer it to another local J.Crew that appeals more to a "sale searching" customer.

But it works like most other clothing in terms of sales. Right now winter suiting ie. heavier fabrics are the ones you can find on sale. For example they have a heavy donegal tweed brown ludlow suit on sale, and their prince of whales wool suit is also on sale. The newest products they have are lightweight suiting, and those won't go on sale until some time in the fall. Ludlow will occasionally have client only private sales events. This is probably the only time you can find an in-season ludlow suit on sale. I would suggest being added to the client list of your local Ludlow to keep up with these sales. Otherwise ludlow normally only puts things like shirts and cashmere sweaters on sale. Hope this helped. If you are looking for a particular suit, PM me.

Any word on the uniqlo mb polo sizing? Wear a small in their t-shirts , would a small be safe to order for these?

Ludlow is basura unless deep discount. If you can, go Suit Supply at least.

Loro Piana...but fused? Man. FOH

Heads up J.Crew is currently doing 25% off in store. Good time to snag some pricer pieces if you've been eyeing any. My shop gets a bigger selection than most J.Crew shops, and I'm willing to help you guys out. PM me if you're having any trouble locating something, or want to make sure you're getting the best deal and we can talk.

Also, whats the best way to spread the word about an ebay listing of an older suit of mine. Don't want to break any rules about buying/selling, but I would prefer to sell it to someone from the NT dressing better fam. It's a good deal.

Care to explain? I'm no suit buff, but I do kind of like the Ludlow suit. What is your main beef with the Ludlow suit? Is it just price? And what do you mean by fused? What would be the advantages of a SS suit vs. Ludlow?

I quickly checked out SuitSupply and their stuff looks nice. They even seem to use some of the same textile mills as Ludlow like, Vitale Barberis Canonico,
Ormezzano etc. Looks like a pretty similar fit. I think the main difference I noticed was a wider lapel at SS, and a slightly lower price point on some suits.

Care to explain? I'm no suit buff, but I do kind of like the Ludlow suit. What is your main beef with the Ludlow suit? Is it just price? And what do you mean by fused? What would be the advantages of a SS suit vs. Ludlow?

I quickly checked out SuitSupply and their stuff looks nice. They even seem to use some of the same textile mills as Ludlow like, Vitale Barberis Canonico,
Ormezzano etc. Looks like a pretty similar fit. I think the main difference I noticed was a wider lapel at SS, and a slightly lower price point on some suits.
He's talking about the construction. Fused suits are cheaper to make and fall apart earlier. Not to say it will fall apart within a year or two. Given the retail price of Ludlow suits, they are pretty over priced.

He suggested going with SS because those are canvassed which is of higher quality. There's also half canvass and different tiers of canvasses itself, but I'll leave that out for the sake of keeping things simple.

I personally wouldn't buy a Ludlow unless it was at least half off, in the case of the two tweed jackets I picked up a month or two back. For $200ish, it's a good buy. At retail, not so much.

Last edited:
Now that I can afford better, why not step it up?

Those express suits were copped at $120 a pop at most. Would never recommend at retail, and same goes for J.Crew.

My problem with the ludlow line is that people put jcrew up so high on a pedestal and thing that when 25% hits it's a steal. A lot of their full suiting will run you $500-700 at retail while their overall construction is extreme slacking. For that price point, you can do much better. Brand marketing is a mother..

Now that I can afford better, why not step it up?

Those express suits were copped at $120 a pop at most. Would never recommend at retail, and same goes for J.Crew.

My problem with the ludlow line is that people put jcrew up so high on a pedestal and thing that when 25% hits it's a steal. A lot of their full suiting will run you $500-700 at retail while their overall construction is extreme slacking. For that price point, you can do much better. Brand marketing is a mother..
Yes. It's one of the brands that consistently has sales and still very profitable at that. A lot of folks outgrow the whole J. Crew thing after a couple of years because it's so mundane. I still love their basic pieces while on sale though.

Agreed. Just a year or so ago, I was very much caught up in that world. However, now my tastes have changed. Will still use for smaller things like tees or even sports shirts. Chinos as well.

But suiting, I have found other makers that "suit" my tastes better :lol:

Thanks for the info. I see what you guys mean, and can completely understand tastes changing with time and progression, and income increases. For me personally, given how infrequently I have to wear suits and the fact that I can get an employee discount - the Ludlow suit will work for now. It also fits me pretty well and requires minimal tailoring which helps. Im always open to new and better options though, with time and better salary. I do think that the Ludlow suit is canvassed. Even still I would imagine that there are different types of canvassing, and the Ludlow suit may not necessarily have the best.

And yeah I agree marketing works wonders, and their sales strategy is pretty effective.

Last edited:
Please do not confuse canvassing and lining to be the same. They are far different. Every suit I've seen from jcrew are fused. Perhaps the ones that retail 1k are half, but I can't be certain.

But game changer, if you have access to an employee discount, pull the trigger man. If you are happy with price and fit, by all means.

Compared to what??....i think for the price point of 600$ without the 15% student discount and rebates you can catch every now and then, its nice....the whole canvassed vs fused thing only matters to people like you, thats highly invested in being suited up, someone like Wis, as well, the average joe, just trying to look good can do so very well in a ludlow, we both walk into a party (not an MAB party) you in your Fully canvassed Bespoke and me in my fused ludlow and the yambs will still gravitate to me :pimp:

Welp, I know someone feels some type of way.

A canvassed garment will far out last a fused piece but I suppose to each their own.

However please note that Suit Supply offers half canvassed suiting options starting at $469. At $600, unless you are getting at least 25% off, you aren't matching the price point

And even still, whether you would like to admit it or not, the construction will most assuredly be lacking in comparison.

But then again, if you went SS, I guess you couldn't say "it's J.crew Bro.." :\ :lol:

Back
Top Bottom