Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Regarding crepe soles, there typically will be some fraying particularly along the edges early on but I think the idea that they won't last more than a year is extremely exaggerated. 

I've had two pairs of shoes with crepe soles, a pair of Clark's Desert Boots which are 5 or so years old and were probably worn at a minimum average of 1x/week and the soles have held up along with a pair of suede loafers with a thinner crepe sole which are about 2 years old and are still looking good.

Also, in my personal opinion, the Common Projects Chelsea are meant to be a more casual boot.  I think some people might expect them to be pristine because of the price tag but I think some shoes look better worn and broken in.

Also, it may not be a solution for all shoes with a crepe sole but for those assuming that nothing can be done about the sole, it might be worth looking into rather than guessing: http://mreverydaydollar.com/resoling-clarks-desert-boots/   or https://notthelifeofimitation.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/resoling-clarks-desert-boots/  or http://hartlandshoes.us/Wallabees2.JPG  If you find a competent cobbler, it may be possible to have them resoled.  I don't know that I would opt for that style of sole on those Chelsea boots but cleared it was possible on those Clark's.

Aside from that, most will have moved on from Chelsea boots as a trend in a couple years max.  Yes, I realize they've been around forever and the Beatles wore them but how often were they discussed on "Nike" talk before the last year or so?

My crepe DB's also have held up for  5 years ... but they wear as everything does. Won't be the same height or color with wear as brand new .

I don't recommend crepe or leather soles. All my dress shoes get rubber soles added on.

Last edited:
I would be interested in some more muted patterns/colors especially for the winter months that are coming up.

The winter collection should be ready in a few weeks. I'll post a preview on here soon.

I'm curious to know if you quit your job to start this venture of yours or if it's going to continue to be a side gig, just like it has been for the past few years.

Nevertheless, great stuff!

Hello all,

Need some opinions on fitting of dress shoes. How should they fit? snug? slightly loose? I've gone through pairs that were too tight hoping to have it stretch into the perfect pair but the pain was too unbearable and I've gone through pairs that fit just right at the beginning and eventually "feel" too big after they stretch.

I'm curious to know if you quit your job to start this venture of yours or if it's going to continue to be a side gig, just like it has been for the past few years.

Nevertheless, great stuff!
I'll be leaving my job at the end of December, moving back stateside, and focusing on R. Culturi full-time. In order for it to reach any kind of level above "side gig" I feel that I need to focus all of my time and energy on it. I'm happy to discuss more. PM me if you want to chat about it.

- Brovsko

Hello all,

Need some opinions on fitting of dress shoes. How should they fit? snug? slightly loose? I've gone through pairs that were too tight hoping to have it stretch into the perfect pair but the pain was too unbearable and I've gone through pairs that fit just right at the beginning and eventually "feel" too big after they stretch.
Out of the box your shoes should fit as snug as possible without being uncomfortable. If they are constructed from good quality leather then they should mold to your foot as you break them in. Of course, things like water will affect the shape of the leather and, consequently, the fit so be careful not to get your shoes soaked. 

Here's a good article:

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/08/understanding-the-fit-of-a-shoe.html

- Brovsko

I'll be leaving my job at the end of December, moving back stateside, and focusing on R. Culturi full-time. In order for it to reach any kind of level above "side gig" I feel that I need to focus all of my time and energy on it. I'm happy to discuss more. PM me if you want to chat about it.

- Brovsko

Hoping to do the same some day. Quit my 9-5 and pursue my own venture.

Good luck brother, you've already done more than most people by actually going through with it instead of just dreaming about it

This more of a WDYWT post but I ended up getting a flannel from Costco. Not bad for 15 bucks, hopefully it doesn't shrink as bad as other ones I've had.

Also does RRL have a slim straight fit like N&F Weird Guy? These are straight but not really feeling the fit that much

This more of a WDYWT post but I ended up getting a flannel from Costco. Not bad for 15 bucks, hopefully it doesn't shrink as bad as other ones I've had.

Also does RRL have a slim straight fit like N&F Weird Guy? These are straight but not really feeling the fit that much

Those look fine from my phone.

Thigh is actually money. But everything below the knees are bigger than I typically wear. It's okay with boots but not so much with low sbeakers

Overkill for most folks here and in general. Unless you're a typical customer at Self Edge who likes 22 oz raw denim, the look isn't probably for you.

It's Japaneses take on American workwear.

J. Crew is running a different sale daily. Right now it's 30 percent off almost everything. Would be a good time to stock up on items at retail if you can't wait for a deep discount. Tempting to get another pair of the new 484 cut chinos myself.

The struggle is real right now with no camera. Patiently waiting for one from Amazon. It's hard to use the iPhone
laugh.gif

Re: the 4-5 elitists. These are the dudes that built the thread(s) into what it is. Our lives moved on but no new generation ever took over. This thread will always be best for the college age/young professionals given NT's demographic. A lot of work was put in into putting up solid info. Other users just lurk or come in and ask questions and leave. The vibe in this thread around 2012 was a reminiscent of NT as a whole in the early 2000s when I joined. Everyone was breaking bread except for a few bitter cats.

RRL has a slim straight but i have only seen that fit for there raw denim. You may want to try there low straight instead and sz up one. The Low Straight thigh is smaller and the rise is lower with a tapper towards the hem.

Still in SF, but some of the items copped

APC camel topcoat
Common Project Black chelseas
Common Project Mid black/white (pictured in black bomber pic)

Carhatt Bomber
 Got a lot more stuff, but didn't take pics of it all lol
Where did you get the leather CP chelseas from? Can't find it anywhere in an 11 online. 

Back
Top Bottom