Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I'm a big jeans/blazer guy for casual.

You get there and feel like the blazer is too much, you can always ditch it.

I don't know if its my denim, or my blazer, but i can never feel comfortable mixing all of those..

maybe some uniqlo chinos and a textured/knit polo? or button up as others have mentioned, and some clean (all white?) leather sneakers..

Thanks for all of the input, fellas! I've tried the jeans and blazer aesthetic, but I 've never been a fan of it myself; I think it looks great on others, but not myself! I think I'll go with chinos and a nice shirt, or chinos and a sweater polo with a nice pair of aldens?

DB Fam,

Long time, no post! I need advice; I have an interview with facebook this Friday. They stressed that everyone interviewing me will be in very casual clothing (e.g., Jeans, t-shirts and sneakers), and I can wear the same. Since I've only ever interviewed for attorney positions in the legal field wearing a suit and tie, it seems counter-intuitive for me to wear jeans to an interview. But at the same time, I don't want to alienate my interviewers by being too overdressed. What would be your approach?

I was told by a career and life planning teacher/HR person that you want to dress one step above the position you’re applying for. As someone else mentioned, add a blazer. Or maybe a button up and some slacks with no tie.Hope this helps

DB Fam,

Long time, no post! I need advice; I have an interview with facebook this Friday. They stressed that everyone interviewing me will be in very casual clothing (e.g., Jeans, t-shirts and sneakers), and I can wear the same. Since I've only ever interviewed for attorney positions in the legal field wearing a suit and tie, it seems counter-intuitive for me to wear jeans to an interview. But at the same time, I don't want to alienate my interviewers by being too overdressed. What would be your approach?

I dont care how other people dress, how I choose to show up to the interview is a reflection on my opinion of the job. If I showed up dressed like them you run the risk of them thinking you could careless.

If you overdress I cant imagine it hurting. FB is 20 mins from my house, the laid back Silicon Vallet attire is well fitted denim with dress shoes, a button up wth a jacket.

The important thing to remember is to wear a belt and tuck your shirt in.

Last person who interviewed took a lax stance and dressed down and until you break the barrier of the conversation where its a dialogue and genuine back and forth dressing down will give some one a chance to speak against you.

A professional is a professional at the end of the day.

Mind sharing what the role is?

where can I cop a decent pair of slim jeans?

I'm past the raw denim phase, I don't have time for that.

Thanks, NT.

just as long as it's not $500 a pair I should be good.

John Elliott my favorite denim. They're a bit skinny for some though, and definitely wait to get them on sale (never pay full MSRP on most washes). Or Grailed.

Depends on what you're looking for, though. I like JE Cast 2 because they are mid/high rise, button fly, nice taper at the bottom for stacking. Stretch denim with nice detailing / distressing.

Wet season is here, any good options outside of hunter and sperry? Needing a pair to wear to the office, found one on sperry but they were sold out in my size

Sorry for the late response, ya'll! The role is a government relations and community escalations role; specifically working with Facebook and legislators on election information tampering in the US/around the world and other misinformation concerning trending world topics. Overall, ensuring that Facebook doesn't have any undue influence as far as accounts, info posted or collected by the platform and being a liaison with the media. ALSO, I GOT THE GIG! I wore a suit with a polo; I took off the jacket during the first part of the interview and didn't put it back on. But I got a lot of compliments concerning dressing up for the interview, so I'm glad I did!

Congratulations. Sounds like you’ll still be dressing up given the job description and who you’ll be meeting with.

I used to hate dressing up and now that I’ve been in sweatpants for 3 years I kinda miss it. Recently I was mistaken for a Home Depot day laborer. While funny at first it has kind of gotten to me. Feel like I need to go buy a suit or something now lol. I’ve been lurking the thread again but it’s pretty dead here now.

Picked up some JW Anderson socks from Uniqlo.

Curious as to why J.Crew tends to exclude their chinos from their sales.

Also, what recommendations do you guys have for shoes/boots on rainy days?

Picked up some JW Anderson socks from Uniqlo.

Curious as to why J.Crew tends to exclude their chinos from their sales.

Also, what recommendations do you guys have for shoes/boots on rainy days?
Sperry duck boots. Found a pair at shoe carnival for $100 if you don’t have a sperry store close
497434FF-D7DF-47F8-9135-CD842AF87BCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Dug up a pair of Gap Lived-in skinny khakis today, still the best-fitting off the rack pair of chinos I’ve had. A 36/29 fits perfect. Going to see if my tailor can match a handful of pants to the same taper.

Dug up a pair of Gap Lived-in skinny khakis today, still the best-fitting off the rack pair of chinos I’ve had. A 36/29 fits perfect. Going to see if my tailor can match a handful of pants to the same taper.

Have a pair of lived-in chinos i could say the same for. Always hope for them to expand their chino selection so i could get more colors cuz of the amazing fit. But all i can get is the basic navy, beige and black khakis. They have some different color lived-in chinos but the lived in look takes away from the formality of work attire so ive kept my distance.

Is there a difference between ankle and cropped trousers?

Also, how long should they be? I just bought some grey/black checkered smart pants and they're around 2 inches about my ankle bone.

Back
Top Bottom