Dressing better

Those look like hiking boots. It is a growing trend coming in to fall/winter. That may not be much help but I think you'll be seeing that boot style everywhere soon.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Another week ... Sorry for the overload

Im not always feeling Nii's swag...but this looks fly. Im really diggin' the shoe choice with that suit.
Nice look Nii.

Impeccable. I always slurp Nii after he posts his suits (nh), but I'm not slurping just for the hell of it, I hope requoting this helps people understand just how perfect this man's suits are. A master at work. 
pimp.gif

oo206oo - no biggie. i dress in so many different ways i actually dont expect folks to like everything i wear. some stuff will sing with you, some wont. can't be mad at that ... lol.

nightruans and Persianfly - thanks for the comments man.

Nacho - thanks man ... naah, i rarely do cuffs. I have a suit being finished up now, and my tailor finally convinced me to try cuffs. we'll see how it goes. I suspect i will wear it once and send it right back to have it changed ... lol.

What could i have done better on the two casual fits. I feel the NT crowd can rock the casual fits a lot better, so that is where i am looking to up my game a bit more.

What could i have done better on the two casual fits. I feel the NT crowd can rock the casual fits a lot better, so that is where i am looking to up my game a bit more.
The first one is bland generally, but I think the main problem is that the shirt doesn't look good untucked. To me, the greater the distance between where the bottom of the side seams hit and the front/back of the shirt tail hits, the worse the shirt will look untucked. Also, it looks like a solid grey shirt, and although the dark buttons make it look a bit casual, it still comes off like a dress shirt. EDIT: on second look, it may be chambray, in which case the picture is probably not doing the outfit justice. Still don't like the bottom cut of the shirt for untucking though. 
The second one is cool, I'd just undo that top button. Not really feelin' the shoes with that fit either, but I can't tell if those are chinos or jeans so I can't call that. 

It starts raining and become freezing cold (55 degrees is freezing in Cali standards) and it looks bright and sunny where Nii. I feel like we live in the opposite sides of the globe.
laugh.gif

Great as usual though. Whats the suede chukkas? I really liking the red-wood colored midsole.

Nii -

I think you're pretty impeccably dressed when it comes to suits, they just about always seem flattering (that sounds feminine but whatever, it's in context). With your casual fits, maybe that from paying attention in this thread it seems like I'm just used to seeing the suits, but those shirts in particular don't seem to work for your body type. Maybe it's because they're not tucked in or you don't have a jacket over them, but they definitely give the appearance of a larger midsection/pear shape. I don't think it's fair to comment on people's body type and I wouldn't in general, I'm just giving constructive criticism because that's how it appears to me, you may not be that way at all.

It's funny though because those as casual for you, would probably be dressed up for a lot of NTers.

I'd like to see more details of those shoes you're wearing with the grey pinstriped suit. They look incredible.

Persiafly - it is a chambray ... and that should tell you how back my picture taking is. I spend about 5 minutes a day (too much anyways) taking pictures, and i dont do any post processing. Is it a no-no to wear shirts with the curved tail casually and not tucked in? I figured the straight tail would look uglier - and would never wear a straight tail shirt casually without tucking in.

RFX - the shoes are by TBNY ... picked them up a year or so ago from Bloomingdale's year end sale. I pretty much wear it with mid/light gray flannels ... and beiges. Oh ...we have it good now. It was freezing like crazy Monday thru Wednesday night.

ScarsorScabs - there is no secret i am a bigger dude ... at 200lbs, but i think the pear shaped look is more a function of the jeans than anything. I have always felt these jeans are just too tight from my thighs down ... which will obviously give me the pear shaped look. unfortunately i've never bothered to have them loosened up - but because of that i wear them less and less. here i am in a looser pair of jeans and you probably wont see the pear shaped effect as much. As you can see, i even get more casual, especially when i DJ (which is pretty rare these days) ... lol:
From Wednesday night

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

What types of shoes are you guys wearing in Autumn besides boots?

I'm looking to stop wearing vans and sperrys from all summer
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Suede/leather chukkas and wool boat shoes.

Persiafly - it is a chambray ... and that should tell you how back my picture taking is. I spend about 5 minutes a day (too much anyways) taking pictures, and i dont do any post processing. Is it a no-no to wear shirts with the curved tail casually and not tucked in? I figured the straight tail would look uglier - and would never wear a straight tail shirt casually without tucking in. 

This is what Glenn O'Brien has to say on the issue:

The rule is: Tuck in your goddamn shirt, barn boy! But seriously, folks, I know that the hip thing has been to go around with your shirt out, or maybe half tucked, like you slept in your clothes and haven’t had coffee yet. But this “hip

What types of shoes are you guys wearing in Autumn besides boots?

I'm looking to stop wearing vans and sperrys from all summer
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

Suede/leather chukkas and wool boat shoes.
My lineup:

Sperry Largo Chukkas (SUPER comfortable):

ibb85x.jpg

Bass Brocktons:

r9lypt.jpg

Kenneth Cole City Vision (this chick just hooked these up for me, they're gonna be my weekend warriors):

pKCP-7438121_alternate1_v383x392.jpg

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

The rule is: Tuck in your goddamn shirt, barn boy! But seriously, folks, I know that the hip thing has been to go around with your shirt out, or maybe half tucked, like you slept in your clothes and haven’t had coffee yet. But this “hip

RFX,

Beyond being a rule, I think it's also a matter of personal preference and taste. To me both of the shirts you posted look terrible like that, despite the shorter length. They would be much worse if they were longer and baggier, but they still look bad. Like you untucked it at the end of a long day. I just can't do the rounded-off untucked look at all, especially when it's as curvy as the shirts you posted.

Yah, mostly personal preference but those shirts are made to be untucked, that is why they are short. I have a BoO shirt and unless a person plans to stand like a statue the whole day, the shirt won't stay tucked for 5 minutes. I agree that it is a fine line and has to fit well like in the pic, I think it is one of the best look of an untucked shirt. Not to mention that the shirt itself is very casual in it's own right, but any longer and it will look after-work-!+% and any shorter and it will look like a kids shirt.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

For what its worth, im also of the belief that the length is the determining factor.

Nii, ive never seen a chambray shirt that was squared off, i imagine it would look kind of odd. I'd say 'do you'. I prefer the rounded bottoms merely for the fact that i still havent jumped on the fitted pants thing yet, and i tend to sag my Levis a couple of inches. The rounded bottom is helpful for when i bend over. (not to mention, if you carry a pistol like i do, its nice to have that extra coverage as well. Thats a whole different 'fashion vs function' discussion though)

Nii - No bromo but if you ever come to NYC, I would appreciate if you took me suit shopping.
PAUSE.

I dont think Ive ever worn a suit that fits as well as what Nii pulls off. I know tailoring is a big part of it, but I think picking the right suit will make or break the whole tailoring experience.
I try to read articles and stuff but half the time it ends up having so many technical terms Im unfamiliar with that I end up googling back and forth to the point of frustration.

/Rant.

Back
Top Bottom