Dressing better

Originally Posted by RFX45

So your big in height or weight?
Because both can be worked on.
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/v/011309PROJECT

im 6'4 and my weight is 240 so its a lil of both
embarassed.gif

i need to go get my measurements so i can get myself together thats really the only thing thats stopin me from buying stuff cuz i dont kno my measurements.

wearing baggy cloths to much FTL

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by finnns2003

i'm surprised RFX left out boat shoes... but yeah, a must. and... there's nothing wrong with polo shirts rfx, time to come up a bit? they're a staple

True but you can only wear polo's so much and I knew the post might get flooded with that suggestion so I left it out on purpose.
I was going to mention boat shoes but I guess when the guy said college classes, I imagined my college classes that were all at night.
I just couldn't imagine wearing boat shoes at night, I think it's just my mentality as I always associate boat shoes with summer/spring time.
Same with polo. Can't beat a boat shoe (no socks) + khaki + polo combination in the summer though.

I also want to mention, while Banana Republic, GAP and Old Navy are good starters, the fit is horrible. I tried on an xs slim fit BR sportshirt and it fit like crap. I felt like I was wearing a box. And I have been through this phase and in the end, I regretted purchasing all these cheap non-fitting clothes like the brands I mentioned above. It now just sits in my closet gathering cobwebs. Now I am saying splurge and spend $300 in an Etro sportshirt but keep it in mind. I got my Hugo Boss slim fit shirt for $40 at Macys and they fit like a glove. So some may think they are saving by purchasing Gap, BR, ON, etc... but the quality won't last and you will end up paying more if you're going to move up anyways and buy better stuff later. H&M and ZARA is an exception though and probably the best place to buy these stuff. H&M is cheap enough and ZARA usually has plenty of sales. Quality will be about the same (H&M = GAP, ZARA = BR) but at least it fit right from the start. Visit Target too, their ONE Converse line fits pretty fitted too, try their sport shirts, worth it for $25.
ah, good points.

thoughts on rugby polo shirts? i have about 5-6, great for cold days.

Rugby polo and l/s polo's are one of those phenomena's. I can't really get past it and I'm not sure it fits in with the whole"dressy" category or even semi-casual like a s/s polo.
Rugby's, I think are mainly for cold weathers and having that sporty-casual look. l/s polo's are I guess for cold weathers where you wear a jacket overit to fool people that your wearing a polo?
I just don't get it, it's hard to explain but I really do not understand it's purpose (l/s polo's). Maybe someone could fill me in?
I mean instead of wearing a l/s polo, why not just wear a sport shirt? It looks much better and won't look awkward. l/s polo just seem to defeat thepurpose of being a polo.
It should really just be called a l/s collared (knitted) tee.

so i'm assuming you at least believe rugby's are better than long sleeve polos? rugby's at least are actually used in the sport. i have a few RLrugbys that look great with khakis. there are a lot of custom fit rugbys for a slim fit. the white collar is classy imo.

laugh.gif

Yes, I believe Rugby serves more purpose as it is more of a sportwear and representing teams as well.
It is like wearing a jersey, but better and more fashionable I guess.
While regular polo's almost seem pointless.
Just my views though.

Thanks a lot for the info so far everybody, especially RFX...great stuff! I was just wondering where I could go to get my measurements? I know that last time Igot fitted was at Macy's to buy a suit, but I don't need a new suit, and I wouldn't want to have them measure me if I wasn't buying anything.So where do you reccommend to go to get fitted?

i agree with all the dudes in here saying chill on the Polo.

when i am dressing up for a function, i NEVER wear Polo.

why?

because i hate when dudes think that to look formal, all they have to do is throw on something Polo. i feel like having that horse on your shirt just takesaway from your overall ensemble and the way you put your outfit together. i was at a banquet the other day, and a guy there was wearing a Polo sweater, dresspants with the Polo logo, and Polo socks (visible when he sat down). IMO, that tells me he doesn't really have that much personal style. maybe he does,maybe he doesn't. but wearing Polo from head to toe all the time and thinking you're fresh just because you paid money implies to me that you don'treally have an innate sense of style OF YOUR OWN. that's why that Lucky Luchinano dude is so lame to me.

formal dressing is about the style, not the brand. honestly, most of my formal wear (with the exception of suits) is from Kohls and Marshall's clearance.all my Polo is saved for casual wear.

Clothes in general look better on you when you have a proportional body, and clothes that fit your body well.

That's why I regret getting into the baggy style years back because I have all this nice denim that I've had to get hemmed/tapered and now it looksfresh

Senior in high school btw.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

why?

because i hate when dudes think that to look formal, all they have to do is throw on something Polo. i feel like having that horse on your shirt just takes away from your overall ensemble and the way you put your outfit together. i was at a banquet the other day, and a guy there was wearing a Polo sweater, dress pants with the Polo logo, and Polo socks (visible when he sat down). IMO, that tells me he doesn't really have that much personal style. maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. but wearing Polo from head to toe all the time and thinking you're fresh just because you paid money implies to me that you don't really have an innate sense of style OF YOUR OWN. that's why that Lucky Luchinano dude is so lame to me.

formal dressing is about the style, not the brand. honestly, most of my formal wear (with the exception of suits) is from Kohls and Marshall's clearance. all my Polo is saved for casual wear.
Yes yes yes.

You cannot buy style.

a pair of levi's a nice white dress shirt black tie(learn the double windsor) and a pair clean
solid color kicks recycle this with different colors and you'll be good

why?

because i hate when dudes think that to look formal, all they have to do is throw on something Polo. i feel like having that horse on your shirt just takes away from your overall ensemble and the way you put your outfit together. i was at a banquet the other day, and a guy there was wearing a Polo sweater, dress pants with the Polo logo, and Polo socks (visible when he sat down). IMO, that tells me he doesn't really have that much personal style. maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. but wearing Polo from head to toe all the time and thinking you're fresh just because you paid money implies to me that you don't really have an innate sense of style OF YOUR OWN. that's why that Lucky Luchinano dude is so lame to me.

formal dressing is about the style, not the brand. honestly, most of my formal wear (with the exception of suits) is from Kohls and Marshall's clearance. all my Polo is saved for casual wear.
laugh.gif
shots fired

btw, for those that are unaware

GAP is selling the V neck sweaters for 25 dollars in a 4 day sale ending this holiday weekend (reduced from 39.50 )

Wear clothes that fit-

Solid Colors(you don't need 16 diff. colors on your shirt for it too look nice)-

A sweater or two wouldn't hurt-

Pair of nice dress shoes with a nice watch to compliment it(Not an obnoxious looking watch with multiple colors,this +@$* aint a #%%!$!+ Soulja Boy video)

Tuck your shirt in!!!!-

why?

Then...
Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

You can't go wrong with Polo.
laugh.gif

But I agree with the former. People who just throw on anything Polo just shows, they're just brand conscience. I dont really have opportunities to dress"casual" but when I do, I put on straight fit/flat front pants, a buttoned up shirt with a pattern and a solid color V-neck or cardigan sweater overit. Jacket & Tie may vary on the situation.
ohwell.gif

FYI Macy's is having a GREAT sale right now. I went to the local mall to check out Banana Republic (nothing good there at my branch) and Macy's. Ipicked up this outfit for an interview next week. (None of my old clothes fit anymore since the 55 lbs drop, except for the ties, socks, and shoes, lol). Idonno why the clothes look baggy and weird in the pictures but the shirt and sweater are size small and the pants are slim fit 30x30. They look pretty goodwhen I put them on.
laugh.gif
Shirt was bought for $23, pants for $23, and sweater for $32.

It's not the best outfit, but for under $100 it will do. I need to shape up just a tad bit more before I go full blown and redo my entire wardrobe.

Also RFX, I tried on the Ben Sherman SoHo fit shirt. They had a navy one on sale for $40 and I almost bought it, but the arms were just a tad too tight for mybuild.

23iuxb5.jpg

205xydh.jpg

Originally Posted by wj4

Also RFX, I tried on the Ben Sherman SoHo fit shirt. They had a navy one on sale for $40 and I almost bought it, but the arms were just a tad too tight for my build.

The Ben Sherman's fit well though, you got to admit. You should try their Mod-Fit next time, it has a little more room overall.
I wear a small in the mod-fit and a medium in the Soho fit and the soho fit looks and feels tighter.

Originally Posted by PhillyPG1

Wear clothes that fit-

Solid Colors(you don't need 16 diff. colors on your shirt for it too look nice)-

A sweater or two wouldn't hurt-

Pair of nice dress shoes with a nice watch to compliment it(Not an obnoxious looking watch with multiple colors,this +@$* aint a #%%!$!+ Soulja Boy video)

Tuck your shirt in!!!!-

Lol, not with jeans you don't.

Originally Posted by Truballa72189

Thanks a lot for the info so far everybody, especially RFX...great stuff! I was just wondering where I could go to get my measurements? I know that last time I got fitted was at Macy's to buy a suit, but I don't need a new suit, and I wouldn't want to have them measure me if I wasn't buying anything. So where do you reccommend to go to get fitted?

You do not really need to get measured. Go to the store, grabs everything you like and go to the dressing room and try it all on. Look in the mirror if youlike it. It should fit right, fitted but not too tight.
It really is up to from then on. Once you get your sizing in certain brands, you're pretty much set and can go about it without trying stuff on.
Warning though, these stuff may feel uncomfortable the first couple of times but that is normal and you'l get used to it. Just give it a chance.

Back
Top Bottom