Dvsn - "Sept. 5th" debut album on Apple Music 04/01/16 OVO Sound

2nd half of the album is super :emoji_fire:. That Jessie Reyes song sucks, and the future song is right behind that. Everything else is either solid or super dope. My favorite song is easily ... Again. I love when they get in that 80s synth ballad bag.

Is Weeknd really R&B though or is he pop?

Never been traditional R&B, but dvsn isn't either really.

Obviously he's on that crossover appeal recently but his essence is R&B and the albums are comparable.

As an aside, whether you like the Weeknd or not, if someone don't recognize how he's influenced both sides of dvsn, idk what to say.

After a few more listens, my thoughts on the album are this.

Daniel and Nineteen85 are supremely talented. We all know that, but executive production failed them on this album.

Whoever they conceded some degree of control to on this project should be out of work.

They fully crossed over to the mainstream and the added need for exposure hurt them on this project.

Outside of Summer Walker and Snoh Allegra, the features either don't add any value at all or they're an actual negative influence on the music.

If you cut the filler and condense this down to 10 - 13 songs like their previous projects, it probably stands up, but an album is more than the sum of its parts.

If I had to give it a grade this early it's between a 7.5 and 8 for me, with the previous two falling in the 9 range.

Daniel and Nineteen85 are supremely talented. We all know that, but executive production failed them on this album.

Whoever they conceded some degree of control to on this project should be out of work.

They fully crossed over to the mainstream and the added need for exposure hurt them on this project.

Outside of Summer Walker and Snoh Allegra, the features either don't add any value at all or they're an actual negative influence on the music.

If you cut the filler and condense this down to 10 - 13 songs like their previous projects, it probably stands up, but an album is more than the sum of its parts.

If I had to give it a grade this early it's between a 7.5 and 8 for me, with the previous two falling in the 9 range.
Still haven’t heard the album but I know these will me my exact thoughts.
Surprised I haven’t listened yet, guess the track list filled with feat turned me off.

I wann say this is the album that will show them they need to get their **** together, but from the looks of it, it’s a project that reached a wider audience. Because of that I can only imagine mid being released for the next couple projects.

For Us
14A54850-339E-4E62-99F0-600F85BA0D08.png
E0EA3A4A-15AE-4FA8-B8B9-2CB8B8175CDE.png

Totally forgot they were dropping an album lol. Not bad on first listen, the second half of the album is way better than the first. It didn't really grab me like their first two albums did. I don't get some of the features tho, most of them seem out of place. Still a good album, gotta listen to it more to digest it.

I seriously felt this way off of the first listen. I thought that holding off from hearing the singles would make me appreciate or enjoy it more, but this is the first time that I was actually underwhelmed. Honestly, as soon as I saw that Future was a feature on the lead single, I had a feeling that this would be their "stepping into the spotlight" album. This one was a big push for the radio/mainstream just like ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF stated. There's some good tracks on here, but nothing grabbed me like damn near all of SEPT 5TH or tracks like "Body Smile", "Think About Me" or "Conversations in a Diner" off of the Morning After album.

Right now I would rank best to worst in the order that the albums released.

Okay gave it a listen

This album will take more than one listen to appreciate. Can't really compare it to their other two albums. This is def their shot at mainstream. Unfortunately, doing so made them lose quality for me. Only two songs are reminiscent of tracks we got on Sept 5th and TMA. The feats killed this project. As a fan I'm pissed cause I know they ain't dropping again for a solid year or more .

Outside of this I can def see where they are trying to experiment on their sound. Evolution is something artist love and fans tend to hate, but it is what it is.

Really thought they were about to do something with outlandish at the end there. Keep it going too . Had me wishing this quarantine was over.

Dawg Jessie Reyez is unbearable. That whiny singing voice she does is soo trash. Courtside actually isn't a bad song but she ruins it for me.

I never heard of Jessie Reyez before the album but that very first listen, I was shocked at how a singer so bad gets on a high profile album like that.

I feel bad because I don't even know her and I'm feeling actual animosity towards her over her singing voice.

No vocal talent at all, and then she compounds on that with those whiny voice inflections.

She sound like an oompa loompa.

DVSN don't get off without criticism either. It's their album. I don't know what they were thinking okaying the idea to include her on the project.

Back
Top Bottom