Dwight Howard Being Compared As The Next Pat Ewing: Fair Comparison Or Not

So much potential in this guy its scary, just an overall solid player on both the defensive and offensive end. Any given night your garuanteed a 17-20pt, 11-20rebounds, 3 blocks showing.. FG% is near 60% I mean his statline is just
sick.gif
Only thing i think is that his mid range shot isn't up to par with Ewings but like Ewing with the Knicks Dwight has a good supporting cast inNelson, Rashad & Turkoglu so the brunt of his teams success doesn't solely really on his individual play atleast on the offensive end. Lets rememberhe's only 22 and he will only get better as time progresses and gains more experience in the league. I think it might be a bit to early but the comparisonisn't outlandish to think based on how Dwight has been playing since he debuted in the league.

Fair comparison or not...

He's already got the numbers. He's about 3 times as athletic as Patrick was.

Originally Posted by Mw2889

When did you start watching Pat, 1998?
Pat developed a true offensive game, jury is still out on Dwight.

Another thing...

Lets keep in mind Pat played at a time when there were Great big men all over the place...

Now...they're scarce.

Originally Posted by allwhitenikes

im thinking the next shaq if he continues to play like he is now

I would disagree Shaq is the epitome of dominance in the paint, Dwight isn't at that level and i don't think he'll ever reach. Dwight imo is amore well rounded player than Shaq... he can be a problem both defensivley and offensively.. Shaq was a problem for most teams offensively because mostopposing teams didn't have players to match up with Shaq's size or strength.

too early.

Ewing was the best shooting big man there was and is underrated by some IMO, mainly because he never won a ring. But Dwight's game is too raw right now tomake an accurate comparison.

Dwight imo is a more well rounded player than Shaq... he can be a problem both defensivley and offensively..
Shaq's first 5 years in the league....
[table][tr][td]
Career Season Averages
[/td] [td]
stats_header_lft.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]MPG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]RPG[/td] [td]APG[/td] [td]SPG[/td] [td]BPG[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]92-93[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]37.9[/td] [td]0.562[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.592[/td] [td]4.2[/td] [td]9.6[/td] [td]13.9[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]3.79[/td] [td]4.00[/td] [td]23.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]93-94[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]39.8[/td] [td]0.599[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.554[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [td]8.5[/td] [td]13.2[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]2.74[/td] [td]3.50[/td] [td]29.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]94-95[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]37.0[/td] [td]0.583[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.533[/td] [td]4.2[/td] [td]7.3[/td] [td]11.4[/td] [td]2.7[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td]2.58[/td] [td]3.30[/td] [td]29.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]95-96[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]36.0[/td] [td]0.573[/td] [td]0.500[/td] [td]0.487[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td]7.7[/td] [td]11.0[/td] [td]2.9[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td]2.87[/td] [td]3.60[/td] [td]26.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]96-97[/td] [td]LAL[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]38.1[/td] [td]0.557[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.484[/td] [td]3.8[/td] [td]8.7[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [td]3.1[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.9[/td] [td]2.86[/td] [td]3.50[/td] [td]26.2[/td] [/tr][/table]
Dwight's first 4 years in the league...
[table][tr][td]
Career Season Averages
[/td] [td]
stats_header_lft.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]MPG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]RPG[/td] [td]APG[/td] [td]SPG[/td] [td]BPG[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]04-05[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]32.6[/td] [td]0.520[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.671[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]6.5[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]2.01[/td] [td]2.80[/td] [td]12.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]05-06[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]36.8[/td] [td]0.531[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.595[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]9.0[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]2.65[/td] [td]3.40[/td] [td]15.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]06-07[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]36.9[/td] [td]0.603[/td] [td]0.500[/td] [td]0.586[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]8.8[/td] [td]12.3[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]3.87[/td] [td]3.00[/td] [td]17.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]07-08[/td] [td]ORL[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]37.7[/td] [td]0.599[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]0.590[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td]10.8[/td] [td]14.2[/td] [td]1.3[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.2[/td] [td]3.21[/td] [td]3.30[/td] [td]20.7[/td] [/tr][/table]
I don't really like to make an argument based solely on stats, but you can argue that Shaq was a better rebounder and shot-blocker than Dwight was at thisstage in his career.
Shaq really was a PROBLEM on both ends of the court, unless you're talking about current Shaq who still arguably could be more of a defensive presence inthe middle than Dwight.

Yeah, but Shaq went to college for 3 years..

(no i dont think Dwight will ever be even close to what Shaq was)

I realized that when posted, but I wanted to address the quote that Dwight "is more well-rounded"....

Shaq was a nightmare offensively AND defensively.

Dwight, well he's a nightmare on the glass....when he wants to be. His offensive game isn't much to worry about at all.

What's the comparison? Their numbers are similar but their games are completely different.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Eh. Pat was definitely athletic for his day and at his position but he wasn't even the most athletic center of his time. That title goes to Olajuwon.And as remarkable as those guys were, they didn't come close to doing the things that Dwight can do athletically.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

I realized that when posted, but I wanted to address the quote that Dwight "is more well-rounded"....

Shaq was a nightmare offensively AND defensively.

Dwight, well he's a nightmare on the glass....when he wants to be. His offensive game isn't much to worry about at all.

Idk... for me when i think of Shaq's overall career i think of his dominance offensively... like with Walt he was a great defensive player but whenmost people think about Wilt Chamberlain they think of an offensive machine that mastered in the paint basketball. I agree Dwight isn't a nightmare on theoffensive glass but he's well rounded in that if his teams needs him to step up on the offensive and defensive end he can do both and provide results, whenShaq played he was utilized mostly for scoring.

yea their games are completely different...I havent even heard anybody try to make this comparison, normally its Shaq or somebody...

his game is more Moses Malone x Darryl Dawkins, physically he's a hybrid of Shaq/Amare/KG...

Didn't Dwight just turn 22 a few months ago?

Its too early for that comparison now, but if he continues developing his game..

Ewing had a jumper so he's better in that area..but I think Dwight might end up being better. He's a scary presence down there in the lane and I onlysee him getting better since he's at such a young age. When the '04 draft happened, I thought it was a mistake for the Magic to pick Dwight with the #1pick (since he was straight out of high school and no one could really predict how his game would perform on an NBA level). I really thought that Emeka shouldhave been the #1. I was very wrong. Dwight has proved that he was not only worthy, but has the chance to be one of the greatest centers ever to play. Idon't want to get ahead of myself though.

Pat was a better defender as well. He anchored one of the Best D's for a while....on two levels.

Dwight has all the potential in the world though.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

What's the comparison? Their numbers are similar but their games are completely different.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Eh. Pat was definitely athletic for his day and at his position but he wasn't even the most athletic center of his time. That title goes to Olajuwon. And as remarkable as those guys were, they didn't come close to doing the things that Dwight can do athletically.

Ewing had above-average athleticism, but it wasn't necessarily enough to label him athletic. He wasn't anything close to the defensive presence D.Howard is. Ewing was much more polished offensively than Howard. So yeah, this comparison is way off. I mean the greatest similarity between the two is theyboth turn the ball over a lot for guys who play in the post.
Olajuwon wasn't the clear-cut most athletic center of his time, David Robinson was a littlemore athletic than him. But Olajuwon's offensive repertoire still made the Admiral looks like a fool on defense at times, such as the 1995 WCF.

I say shaq but more athletic and with a much better free throw.

Back
Top Bottom