Dwight Howard Being Compared As The Next Pat Ewing: Fair Comparison Or Not

He wasn't anything close to the defensive presence D. Howard is.
laugh.gif

What?

You gotta love NBA Draft.net
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

[table][tr][td]
dwight-howard-hd.jpg

[/td] [td]
[size=+6]#[/size][size=+6]12[/size]

[/td] [td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dwight Howard[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Birthdate: 12/8/85
NBA Position:[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Power Forward[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
College: None
Class: HS Senior
Ht: 6-10
Wt: 240
Hometown:[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Atlanta, GA[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
High School:[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southwest Atlanta Christian[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NBA Comparison: Kwame Brown[/font]

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

What's the comparison? Their numbers are similar but their games are completely different.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by Mw2889

He's already got the numbers. He's about 3 times as athletic as Patrick was.

When did you start watching Pat, 1998?
Pat developed a true offensive game, jury is still out on Dwight.

Eh. Pat was definitely athletic for his day and at his position but he wasn't even the most athletic center of his time. That title goes to Olajuwon. And as remarkable as those guys were, they didn't come close to doing the things that Dwight can do athletically.

Ewing had above-average athleticism, but it wasn't necessarily enough to label him athletic. He wasn't anything close to the defensive presence D. Howard is. Ewing was much more polished offensively than Howard. So yeah, this comparison is way off. I mean the greatest similarity between the two is they both turn the ball over a lot for guys who play in the post.
Olajuwon wasn't the clear-cut most athletic center of his time, David Robinson was a little more athletic than him. But Olajuwon's offensive repertoire still made the Admiral looks like a fool on defense at times, such as the 1995 WCF.

not the defensive presence D. Howard was? yeah okay sure.

D Howard isn't half the passer, leader, finisher, offensive power house or shot blocker Shaq was in his prime. I'm a Magic fan but I have to tell thetruth. He has a long way to go to be the offensive machine Pat was. He needs that jumper, cross over, and a lot more post moves. Plus it's a lack of bigmen in this era so every other night Dwight is facing some big stiff.

Until Dwight develops a mid-range game, can make the turn-around jumper, can face up and take players off the dribble and shoot AS WELL as dunk, then hewon't be the next Patrick Ewing. Not to say Dwight won't be great, because I think he will be the most dominant center in the NBA in the future, butEwing was one of the best shooting big men, and that's the one area where Dwight lacks.

To compare their game isn't fair because 1. Dwight's so young and 2. they have different games at this point. Dwight can dominant just on his ownphysical athleticism and ability, whereas Ewing's strength was in his intelligence and ability to break down defenders with a shot and an inside presence.

Of course, Dwight's big man coach right now is of course Ewing, and that's one of the biggest things that Pat's working on him with, to develop thejumpshot... once that's there and when Dwight matures and gains some more experience, he is going to be one of the best players in the league. Dwight's still so young, and hopefully Ewing can teach him and help him focus on the other aspects of his game, such as becoming a vocal and court leaderand becoming a defense and offensive dominant force.

You guys are sleeping on Ewing defensively. Ewing was a monster defensively when he came into the league. Dwight Howard is good but I think half you guysstarted watching Ewing after he went to the Sonics.

He wasn't anything close to the defensive presence D. Howard is.
laugh.gif

What?

roll.gif
Yeah, I had to double-take that one. Like...I don't know. Tomake a statement like that...you'll have to be excused from this discussion. Ewing was crazy-underrated though...

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

I think he might end up being better.
hes gonna be better

Out of your damn mind.

First off, they play NOTHING alike. Ewing actually had a JUMPSHOT.

2nd-- It'd be a more fair comparison to someone like Shaq.
Dwight Howard is what a center should be, and he will be better than Shaq.
Absolutely amazing.

Those said he'll be better.....think Howard will have a year where he goes...

All 82

Puts up 29, 11 and 4 blocks?

I don't.

I smell alot of young dudes with soggy pampers in here
laugh.gif

Some of ya'll don't know &*%$ about basketball. Ewing got drafted based on his defense and aggression around the basket.

Another thing...

Lets keep in mind Pat played at a time when there were Great big men all over the place...

Now...they're scarce.

Agreed....the dude who said patrick wasn;t much of an athlete must be a youngin.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Another thing...

Lets keep in mind Pat played at a time when there were Great big men all over the place...

Now...they're scarce.

Agreed....the dude who said patrick wasn;t much of an athlete must be a youngin.

�Well, Im a 'youngin' but I know he was definitely an athlete
pimp.gif
......nevermind the walk
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom