East Coast NTers...First an Earthquake, now a Hurricane? Vol. Irene

just a perspective on the size of irene right now. you can get a live loop here http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-rb.html
irene is a category 1. notice the lack of an eye on irene compared to katrina below.

i tried to find a similar map scale of katrina so you can get an idea of the girth of irene. look how tight katrina's eyewall is!

the tighter/prominent the eyewall, the more vicious the hurricane. remember, katrina made it up to category 5 before
dropping to 3 at landfall.
i found a video of airplanes inside the eyewall where you see the stadium effect

i can tell some of yall are annoyed with everyone being overly cautious, especially since irene is only a category 1.
i don't have a problem with overreacting. our governor said "we can rebuild homes, but people and families cannot be replaced."
few things to keep in mind. the longer the hurricane hugs the coast, the less predictable it can get and the longer it takes
to die down (check out hurricane bob). thankfully the waters are cooler going north. irene is going like 15 mph, so if she stays a category 1
or a tropical storm, everybody is going to get some kind of flooding and wind damage. 70mph winds are no joke.
drive 70 mph down the highway and stick your head out the window lol.

i'm hoping everybody is overreacting.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

wow
frown.gif
first fatality in NC

be safe people

Damb, heard about that too. Its pouring rain where I live but im super glad im not near the coast. Wind is kicking here something crazy though.

Now the winds are going to be 60-80 mph's MAX aka it will be a tropical storm aka not a big deal. We've had winds like that before through which I kept my windows open. Have a feeling it will really not be a big deal in NYC...at all

I'm just prepared incase of power outages which is my biggest concern.

Bloomberg has handled this great imo after that debacle during the snow storm... I don't think he is trying .to strike fear per say... But he is just trying to me sure those @*$$$@# in low lying areas get the hell out. The flood risk is very real.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Bloomberg has handled this great imo after that debacle during the snow storm... I don't think he is trying .to strike fear per say... But he is just trying to me sure those @*$$$@# in low lying areas get the hell out. The flood risk is very real.
Btw, when do we get trash pickup/mail delivery/etc, Wednesday/Tuesday???

Some of y'all are really going in, worst case scenario ppl bought too much stuff, better safe than sorry

We look mad soft right now. I can't wait til this is over so ppl can realize how ridiculous this is. Reporters standing in the ocean to make this storm look worse than it is. Like come on son.

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Btw, when do we get trash pickup/mail delivery/etc, Wednesday/Tuesday???
Usually Tuesdays and Thursdays around 8am.
Mail delivery is usually daily by 1pm around here.

Its my BDay weekend. I want to get my Lieutenant Dan on and run outside tomorrow. Whos with me?

JP. I will be home getting white girl wasted watching 24/7 and playing COD.

it's not about being a g. This is the equivalent of ppl in the south buying every last bottle of water from their local walmarts because of half an inch of snow.

It's a cat 1 over nc right now. Hurricanes don't last over land. It's going to get ripped apart and will be a tropical storm and probably a weak one at that. It's not even in VA right now. It has to go through a few states before reaching ny. Bloomberg, CNN, the weather channel, msnbc, etc are exaggerating.

Sending a reporter in a thin ##$ windbreaker in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in NC to put fear in the heart of nyers is completly overselling this storm and anybody that doesn't see that is lying go themselves.

After Hurricane Irene hit Puerto Rico, the streets were so flooded that a shark managed to be swimming around.

tumblr_lqewpzeNll1qb7sld

Dont kno if real but
eek.gif

Originally Posted by MrDoeBoI

Originally Posted by CruThik3

The overreacting to this hurricane is ridiculous.

Tell me about it last night I seen a guy fill up about 10 gas containers like we were going to war and everything was scarce
Listen, for people in flood prone areas its pretty serious.  Also, 75mph winds with 100 mph wind gusts is no joke, we're not talking about 75mph winds for maybe an hour, we're talking 18 hours worth of it and over 10 inches of rain.  There have been storms in the past year that were maybe 30 minutes to an hour and caused substantial damage (trees down, power outages etc.)  around nyc imagine what this thing is gonna do.  God willing it won't be that bad but taking something like this lightly is dumb.  I'm not saying you have to run around like a chicken with your head cut off but its better to be over prepared than under.

I doubt it'll be 75 mph over ny. Seriously. Its over land. It is going to rip apart and die down gradually. It will rain but I doubt 10 inches. Smh at this. Ppl acting like this is the first hurricane ever to hit the east coast. Smh at the news.

Originally Posted by MjWizKid

After Hurricane Irene hit Puerto Rico, the streets were so flooded that a shark managed to be swimming around.

tumblr_lqewpzeNll1qb7sld

Dont kno if real but
eek.gif
there is no way this real

Originally Posted by debs 168

it's not about being a g. This is the equivalent of ppl in the south buying every last bottle of water from their local walmarts because of half an inch of snow.

It's a cat 1 over nc right now. Hurricanes don't last over land. It's going to get ripped apart and will be a tropical storm and probably a weak one at that. It's not even in VA right now. It has to go through a few states before reaching ny. Bloomberg, CNN, the weather channel, msnbc, etc are exaggerating.

Sending a reporter in a thin ##$ windbreaker in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in NC to put fear in the heart of nyers is completly overselling this storm and anybody that doesn't see that is lying go themselves.

Flooding is still a concern as well as outages, there's nothing light about water damage. People are just trying to be prepared. I'm not saying to trust everything the media is throwing at us but in my 26 yes in NYC I haven't witnessed evacuations, that's all I'm saying. If its weak than better for us

Originally Posted by you go boy

thats the only thing im worried about is losing power... if it does happen im going straight to the hotel...i can't live like that... we had a blackout for 3 days and that was bad i can only imagine 2 weeks 
30t6p3b.gif
THIS!!

I just dont wanna loose power
frown.gif

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Originally Posted by MjWizKid

tumblr_lqewpzeNll1qb7sld

Dont kno if real but
eek.gif
there is no way this real

if real
eek.gif
eek.gif

gangsta
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Originally Posted by debs 168

Flooding is still a concern as well as outages, there's nothing light about water damage. People are just trying to be prepared. I'm not saying to trust everything the media is throwing at us but in my 26 yes in NYC I haven't witnessed evacuations, that's all I'm saying. If its weak then better for us

That's what I'm saying.
Who cares what happens as long as everyone is safe? 50$ in extra groceries that will be eaten anyway is not a big deal, that was not Bloomberg's goal
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom