Ebola

Was watching CNN the other day and found out the cure is found in Tobacco plant.

The pharmaceutical companies could have stopped the spread of this disease in West Africa but there isn't enough of a profit to be made.
mean.gif
Source?

I just can't see why they would invest a large sum of money into research for a cure and decide not to proceed with production. Ebola wasn't infecting a whole lot of people before this year. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/health/ebola-tobacco-plant/index.html
I don't think this article states what you claimed in the quote. 

Was watching CNN the other day and found out the cure is found in Tobacco plant.

The pharmaceutical companies could have stopped the spread of this disease in West Africa but there isn't enough of a profit to be made. :smh:

Source?

I just can't see why they would invest a large sum of money into research for a cure and decide not to proceed with production. Ebola wasn't infecting a whole lot of people before this year. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/health/ebola-tobacco-plant/index.html

I don't think this article states what you claimed in the quote. 

"Unfortunately, the process used to make the doses given to Brantly, Writebol and a few other patients is costly and time-consuming."

"Tobacco plant-based drugs are not a new concept. But there are no treatments currently developed through tobacco plants that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration."

If the FDA and Pharmaceutical companies know that there is a cure or vaccine found in Tobacco plants, why wouldn't they(FDA) approve Tobacco based drugs if they knew it could help a lot of people?

FDA and Pharmaceutical companies don't care if they can't profit from it. Now that the threat of Ebola has made its way to the US it has become a top priority.

"Unfortunately, the process used to make the doses given to Brantly, Writebol and a few other patients is costly and time-consuming."
Costly and  time-consuming. This doesn't mean that they could have prevented the spread of the current outbreak. Historically, ebola outbreaks have not been large or widespread. Companies wouldn't prepare for an outbreak that they aren't anticipating. 
"Tobacco plant-based drugs are not a new concept. But there are no treatments currently developed through tobacco plants that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration."

If the FDA and Pharmaceutical companies know that there is a cure or vaccine found in Tobacco plants, why wouldn't they(FDA) approve Tobacco based drugs if they knew it could help a lot of people?
The FDA doesn't blindly approve experimental treatments. The process for obtaining FDA approval takes years. Imagine the backlash if they decide to allow the use of this experimental treatment and it ends up causing serious issues after the person recovers from Ebola. 
FDA and Pharmaceutical companies don't care if they can't profit from it. Now that the threat of Ebola has made its way to the US it has become a top priority.
So then why did anyone invest in developing the technology if there is no money to be made from it? 

Funny how as soon as it makes it to the US
they mysteriously have found a cure :smh:

First of all, Zmapp is NOT a cure. It's an experimental drug. Second, Ebola didn't make it to the US before this "cure" was "mysteriously found". All seven of the people given Zmapp caught the virus in Africa. Two Americans, three Liberians, a Spanish priest and a British nurse. The Americans and the Brit survived because they were treated in state of the art medical facilities. Out of the four others, two of them still died (one of them a Liberian doctor). That doesn't sound like a much of a cure to me.

Basically, Zmapp is something that could effectively treat Ebola, but the patient probably would be best served being treated under ideal conditions. Also, with such a small sample size, it's impossible to call it a cure. It needs a lot more testing to get approval as such.

First of all, Zmapp is NOT a cure. It's an experimental drug. Second, Ebola didn't make it to the US before this "cure" was "mysteriously found". All seven of the people given Zmapp caught the virus in Africa. Two Americans, three Liberians, a Spanish priest and a British nurse. The Americans and the Brit survived because they were treated in state of the art medical facilities. Out of the four others, two of them still died (one of them a Liberian doctor). That doesn't sound like a much of a cure to me.

Basically, Zmapp is something that could effectively treat Ebola, but the patient probably would be best served being treated under ideal conditions. Also, with such a small sample size, it's impossible to call it a cure. It needs a lot more testing to get approval as such.
sooooo...

Was zmap being used before or after the Americans caught it?

Last edited:
they mysteriously have found a cure :smh:

It's an experimental treatment that isn't cleared by the FDA. In other words, we don't know what possible adverse effects this can have on human health.

sooooo...

Was zmap being used before or after the Americans caught it?

It had never been tested on human before, and you have to do initial tests in strictly controlled environments, which only exist in Western hospitals with under ideal conditions. With such a limited supply (literally seven doses) you'd be wasting it trying to apply it for the first time amid the chaos in Africa right now.

You can go ahead and criticize the process all you want, but your options are these: select seven random patients in Africa to administer the drug, with zero trials under your belt, hope less than ideal hospital conditions aren't a detriment, and pray for the best. Or, test the drug on patients in controlled environments where the chances of recovery are vastly increased. The second scenario is far more beneficial to fighting the virus down the line.

Also, I like how you focus on the Americans, when clearly there wasn't a whole lot of discrimination going on with who received it.

they mysteriously have found a cure
mean.gif
some cure huh. funny how that worked out for the ebola dude. what other lame conspiracy theories you got up your sleeve?

could we not let in any more people with ebola into this country please? that would be cool

Last edited:
Damn man, wtf? I moved to to North Dallas this past month. Just my luck. Was going to hit the state fair this weekend in downtown, but now Ima just stay away from downtown. :x:x:smh:

some cure huh. funny how that worked out for the ebola dude. what other lame conspiracy theories you got up your sleeve?

could we not let in any more people with ebola into this country please? that would be cool
they wanted  his organs because its melanin rich 
nerd.gif

I think Duncan would have lived if they diagnosed him the first time he went to the Hospital. By the time they knew he had it, it was far too late.

Dallas response to this whole thing is disgusting, I guarantee others in the area will test positive soon.

:smh:

I think Duncan would have lived if they diagnosed him the first time he went to the Hospital. By the time they knew he had it, it was far too late.

Dallas response to this whole thing is disgusting, I guarantee others in the area will test positive soon.

mean.gif
true he could have also made it aware that he was indeed exposed to the virus

initially instead of saying he wasnt

1 person in Frisco at a Care Now possibly has it now smh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom