Elders aint safe out here

I'll never understand the attacking elders thing. I've never met a person, innocent or criminal that ever thought that was ok.

*edit, weird title being it's an adult attacking a kid.

I'll never understand the attacking elders thing. I've never met a person, innocent or criminal that ever thought that was ok.
some years back, my aunt was ambushed in broad daylight walking home from the market. dude hit the back of her head so hard that she had two black eyes. hospitalized for a week. she's a frail, tiny, old lady. probably didn't even have much in her purse.

In the last two- three years, there has been a high uptick in harrassment, robbery, attacks and even murders of elders in the Asian American community.
A lot of people just want to ignore it.
Stuff like the shooting yesterday dont even shock me anymore.

Last edited:
In the last two- three years, there has been a high uptick in harrassment, robbery, attacks and even murders of elders in the Asian American community.
A lot of people just want to ignore it.
Stuff like the shooting yesterday do even shock me anymore.
I don't think it's being ignored given the news made it to you, the hate crimes act, #stopasianhate etc.

This system has continued to fail those living around/below the poverty line. I know folks don't want to hear this but I feel this is mostly a result of systematic/economic injustices/disparities than these kids being bad people.

Yes, we would hope they showed basic respect/humanity but many just never get those lessons from the home.

It's sad for all parties involved.

I hear all that. And that's been a reason for decades in the US.

Now what can be done about that (realistically) ?

"They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor
Said it ain't no hope for the youth and the truth is
It ain't no hope for the future"

Environment is part of the formula that creates "character."

How much of that is true depends on the individual's ability to fight it off (if it's negative, which is also not a CHOICE).

I don't think any teenager consciously makes the decision to be a "bad person."

It's complicated man.

I know it's a hard convo to have without sounding like behavior is being "excused" but some folks are just born into situations where they simply don't stand a chance.

I hate to see it man.

Would you say the youth have become more daring / violent in the last couple of years?

Because poverty and disenfranchised situations have been around for decades.

Would you say the youth have become more daring / violent in the last couple of years?

Yes and No.

I am an adult now. I'm pretty sure I remember adults 20 years ago saying the SAME things we are saying now.

I will say that I think Social Media might play a role in motivating/incentivizing poor decision making in exchange for attention.

But I'm sure we would have done the same thing if these "tools" existed when we were growing up.

Yes and No.

I am an adult now. I'm pretty sure I remember adults 20 years ago saying the SAME things we are saying now.

I will say that I think Social Media might play a role in motivating/incentivizing poor decision making in exchange for attention.

But I'm sure we would have done the same thing if these "tools" existed when we were growing up.
would you think harsher punishments would deter these youth from committing some of the more violent crimes.

Environment is part of the formula that creates "character."

How much of that is true depends on the individual's ability to fight it off (if it's negative, which is also not a CHOICE).

I don't think any teenager consciously makes the decision to be a "bad person."

It's complicated man.

I know it's a hard convo to have without sounding like behavior is being "excused" but some folks are just born into situations where they simply don't stand a chance.

I hate to see it man.
Yeah it's a deeper conversation than you can have on NT. Sometimes I think about how crazy it is how these powerful weaponry get in the hands of these children with immature, not fully formed brains, and they don't have the right situations around them to steer them. I absolutely understand people not trying to hear that seeing their loved ones being hurt though.

Back
Top Bottom