Employees Don’t Have a Right to Wear Dreadlocks Ruled 3-0 In the Court Of Appeals.. Thoughts? Do you

By  
JACOB GERSHMAN
Sep 16, 2016 2:29 pm ET

Banning employees from wearing their hair in dreadlocks isn’t racial discrimination, a federal appeals court ruled.

The 3-0 decision Thursday by the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed a lawsuit brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against a company that refused to hire a black woman because she wouldn’t cut her dreadlocks.

Delving into weighty questions about the concept of race, the case began in 2013 when the EEOC accused an insurance claims processing company in Mobile, Ala., of discriminating against an applicant named Chastity Jones.

Ms. Jones applied to work for Catastrophe Management Solutions as a customer service representative in 2010. Initially, she was hired. But the job came with a request: The company’s human resources manager told her she needed to cut her dreadlocks to comply with its grooming policy.

The company requires employees to be dressed and groomed “in a manner that projects a professional and businesslike image.” And dreadlocks, the HR manager told Ms. Jones, “tend to get messy.” When Ms. Jones refused to change her hair, the company withdrew the offer.

The EEOC alleged  that the “prohibition of dreadlocks in the workplace constitutes race discrimination because dreadlocks are a manner of wearing the hair that is physiologically and culturally associated with people of African descent.” The argument, the EEOC said, is based on an understanding of race as “a social construct” that “has no biological definition.”

At oral arguments, according to the 11th Circuit opinion, the EEOC “asserted that if a white person chose to wear dreadlocks as a sign of racial support for her black colleagues, and the employer applied its dreadlocks ban to that person, she too could assert a race-based disparate treatment claim.”

Gibson Dunn & Crutcher litigators representing the company said its grooming policy was race-neutral. And they accused  the EEOC of indulging in “novel theories” about race and culture that sounded like a sociological thesis on critical theory, not a valid legal argument.

Federal law bans employment discrimination on the basis of race. And courts have interpreted that to mean discrimination based on skin color and other “immutable traits.”

The concept of immutability proved decisive. Atlanta-based 11th Circuit Judge Adalberto Jordan, a President Obama appointee who wrote the appellate opinion, said he recognized that definitions and understandings of race can change over time.

“We would be remiss,” he wrote, “if we did not acknowledge that, in the last several decades, there have been some calls for courts to interpret Title VII more expansively by eliminating the biological conception of ‘race’ and encompassing cultural characteristics associated with race.”

But Judge Jordan was reluctant for the court to lead such an inquiry. Legally, he said the court wasn’t prepared to go down a path that no court had ever taken.

“As far as we can tell, every court to have considered the issue has rejected the argument that Title VII protects hairstyles culturally associated with race,” he stated.

While the definition of discrimination isn’t fixed, it’s a debate to be conducted “through the democratic process,” not by courts, he wrote, affirming a lower-court ruling.

An EEOC spokeswoman told Law Blog on Friday: “We believe the court was incorrect when it held that the employer’s actions could not be proven to be race discrimination.  We are reviewing our options.”

Gibson Dunn attorney Helgi Walker, who argued the case, said the ruling “reaffirms” that employers “may establish and enforce race-neutral grooming policies for their workplace without running afoul of Title VII.”

Link to PDF:

https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/206/14-13482/01119166588.pdf

This is so twisted.
41432913.jpg

people cant wear their natural hair??? :stoneface:

It's a shame locs have been culturalized as a "black" thing, when it's a "hair" thing. I don't care what type of hair you have, if you don't comb it, it will lock up (provided it's reasonably long enough).

Cavemen had locs, ancient Asians had locs, the vikings had locs, anyone seen Pirates of the Caribbean??? exactly.

We know this is ruling is aimed directly at melanated folk, demonize something and then associate it with black people, even calling them "dreadlocks". If you look up "dread" in the dictionary, there's nothing positive associated with it.

Last edited:
So I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not convinced this is racist.

Ftr - If I didn't have the type of job that I have, I would absolutely consider dreads as I feel it's a really dope aesthetic.
I'm light skinned if it matters.

I'm pretty surprised. That's messed up.

My first thought was well i wouldn't want an employee with a mohawk or purple hair in most industries. But you can't make the comparison. There are no real cultural connections with the other examples.

Last edited:
So I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not convinced this is racist.

Ftr - If I didn't have the type of job that I have, I would absolutely consider dreads as I feel it's a really dope aesthetic.
I'm light skinned if it matters.
How is this not racist? Dreads are a common hairstyle worn primarily by African-Americans. "Messy" just seems like a terrible excuse to justify it. Maybe if your dreads are looking like Gunplay but regular dreads?
Like the above poster said, what about thick beards, ...? Ask yourself who created this idea that dreads are unprofessional and why.

Last edited:
I mean...a person who owns a business should have the right to employ people who look and act in a manner acceptable to them. it's their business (unless they receive public funding).

...with that said, the people they choose or don't choose can very indicative of certain attitudes.

for the record, I have both locs and purple hair.

Last edited:
I guess the question becomes how groomed is everyone else in the company...white or black.

Are there white dudes walking around with their hair in a ponytail?
If so then sure, by all means we can call racism.

Some work cultures don't even allow their employees to grow facial hair.
Lord knows my boss gives me **** when I don't shave.

Again, I'd be interested to see how the entire culture is at this company before I pull out this race card in my pocket.

I mean...a person who owns a business should have the right to employ people who look and act in a manner acceptable to them. it's their business (unless they receive public funding).

...with that said, the people they choose or don't choose can very indicative of certain attitudes.
Businesses should be allowed to discriminate? :stoneface:

Very hard to argue with that.

But it is true.

Last edited:

what is looking acceptable though? 

sure. I'm in the minority (hehe) with this opinion, but I prefer my discrimination open. that way I know who to avoid.
There's already enough job discrimination going on, in practice this would just lead to massive discrimination against people of color and gays

But systemic racism doesn't exist! /s
Disgusting :smh:

:lol:

Obama's appointmented Judge Held up da original interpretation of race as biological & immutable.

u gonna blame him for not wanting to legislate from da bench and re-interprete law? c'mon b. u know conservatives would LOVE to re-interpret da equal protection clause in da Constitution to strike down abortion to save da rights of da unborn right?

ya don't wanna do that...its Pandora's box.

There's already enough job discrimination going on, in practice this would just lead to massive discrimination against people of color and gays
that's probably true...but at least it's honest. I don't want to work for anybody who hates me because of what I look like, and I don't want to associate with anyone who supports them in the endeavor.

I'll be happy to take my talents and dreadlocks where they are appreciated.

sure. I'm in the minority (hehe) with this opinion, but I prefer my discrimination open. that way I know who to avoid.
That covert, low key **** is the worst. Don't use code words and step around it if you are about that terrible choice in life. At least be up front so it is clearly apparent to everyone. People clutching purses, not making eye contact, putting funds on the counter when my hand was clearly out, etc...that is some punk*** ****. You were bold enough to do that it a public setting so why not act how you really feel?

Dangerous precedent to advocate prejudice considering business is ran by a majority. "I'd rather know" is a silly point to make in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom