Employees Don’t Have a Right to Wear Dreadlocks Ruled 3-0 In the Court Of Appeals.. Thoughts? Do you

Dangerous precedent to advocate prejudice considering business is ran by a majority. "I'd rather know" is a silly point to make in this regard.
I didn't say it was a convenient truth...those who support discrimination will patronize those businesses while those who do not will support others and/or establish their own.

freedom is a ************.

This really depends on the type of job, office environment, etc. I have a client facing job, and I'd be fired or at least chewed out heavily if I showed up with my tats showing, a mohawk, piercings, etc. while our tech guys do those things without having a word said to them. If it's that type of office setting, and one of those tech guys happened to be black and was told to cut off his dreads while the white guys could wear whatever, then yes, I'd agree it's racist.

Technically, none of these should matter, and I personally do not care what someone looks like as long as the job gets done. People unfortunately still stereotype you on how you look and dress in 2016.

Last edited:
Dreadlocks =/= tattoos, piercings nor any other aforementioned though.

Next these crackers will be tryna say a temp fade is an extreme style.

I agree, I was actually editing my post to say that, but the negative stereotype already exists that dreads are "messy", and it's not just with black people. Dreads actually look fine to me if you're black, but if you see a white dude with dreads, I bet 99% of people will think he's some dirty funny smelling hippie/stoner type.

In my profession it's not just dreads; I can't show up to meetings with long hair, 2009 Bieber hair, mullets, ponytails, man buns, etc. either. My boss wouldn't care, but my conservative client from Nebraska that we bill $$$$ every month probably will. That's why it really depends on the type of job and office environment before you call someone straight up racist for not hiring you based on having dreads. Something clearly racist to me would be having a black woman straighten her hair for work or being fired for having "unprofessional" natural curly hair, which I know has happened before.

Last edited:
I don't have locs but this really bums me out. Doesn't seem like this will change any time soon either.

This really depends on the type of job, office environment, etc. I have a client facing job, and I'd be fired or at least chewed out heavily if I showed up with my tats showing, a mohawk, piercings, etc. while our tech guys do those things without having a word said to them. If it's that type of office setting, and one of those tech guys happened to be black and was told to cut off his dreads while the white guys could wear whatever, then yes, I'd agree it's racist.

Technically, none of these should matter, and I personally do not care what someone looks like as long as the job gets done. People unfortunately still stereotype you on how you look and dress in 2016.

The way my hair grows is akin to tattoos?

Private equity associate, btw.. front office / client facing... With dreads down me back like I come straight from Kingston.

I've been wanting to cut my hair for a minute but stuff like this is why o don't.

I feel like if a company passes on me because of my hair, then I'm going to bust *** until they recognize they made a mistake...

So when the next young handullz come through, they'll come correct

Not trying to jump down your neck, famb.

You cool

*e-daps*

Last edited:
That's why it really depends on the type of job and office environment before you call someone straight up racist for not hiring you based on having dreads.

It's racism period. Ppl want to use all these curtains to hide behind the blatant truth. A conservative client won't do business
if the company rep has dreads then the client is a racist prejudice subhuman piece of ****& so is the company that discriminates against a natural hairstyle. Quit with the excuses b.

Last edited:
If my company ever told me to wash my waves out I'd quit that instant

It's racism period. Ppl want to use all these curtains to hide behind the blatant truth. A conservative client won't do business
if the company rep has dreads then the client is a racist prejudice subhuman piece of ****& so is the company that discriminates against a natural hairstyle. Quit with the excuses b.

Who's making excuses? All I said is that you can't 100% call something racist as it depends on the company environment and/or the type of people you're dealing with. Having long hair is also a natural hairstyle for non black people, but I'm not allowed to come into a client meeting without a typical short haircut. That is the only reason I believe it's not racist to not let your employees have dreads ONLY if the standard is consistent with what's expected of your non-black employees. Also, before you end up calling me a cracker or some other insult, feel free to look at my post history if you think I'm one of those Rico x Hood or other resident NT bigot types.

Last edited:
Company environment :lol: If that's your excuse for white supremacy and white male hegemony so be it. There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about a Black man
with kept dreads. Idc what these subhuman filth have brainwashed everyone to believe. It's racist period.

It's a slippery slope, but the work environment plays a role.

Best thing to do is just own the company. Than you can go there dressed however you want or have your hear however you and and show your tats etc

Eh its racist cause dreads are associated with African Americans.

At the end, it is about presentation. Its 2016 but a lot of places have a set mentality, especially long established companies.

Start ups >>>

Best thing to do is just own the company. Than you can go there dressed however you want or have your hear however you and and show your tats etc

or just forget about da corporate world.

or just forget about da corporate world.
Much easier said than done.

The corporate world is a very effective way to lay your financial foundation.

Once you've padded your savings enough, then I'd encourage making that jump.

90% of businesses fail. The odds are stacked against you before you even get started.

Rearrange the deck in your favor before you play your hand.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to side with the majority. Long hair or short hair, what is the problem?

So they expect their employees to cut their hair every month? That's silly. Unless your paying for my grooming, you can't tell me to have a certain hairstyle or length. Absolutely uncalled for, and companies like this should be excoriated for their closed minded policies and regulations.

Shorty should move onto a job where her individuality is appreciated. This job wants slaves and robots to heed to slave masters-errrrr, i mean, the boss' every bidding.

when i read the PDF and the way the HR people were like.. it gets messy you know what im talking about.. that just angered me..

Before Ms. Jones got up to leave, Ms. Wilson asked her whether she had her hair in dreadlocks. Ms. Jones said yes, and Ms. Wilson replied that CMS could not hire her “with the dreadlocks.” When Ms. Jones asked what the problem was, Ms. Wilson said “they tend to get messy, although I’m not saying yours are, but you know what I’m talking about.” Ms. Wilson told Ms. Jones about a male applicant who was asked to cut off his dreadlocks in order to obtain a job with CMS. Case: 14-13482 Date Filed: 09/15/2016 Page: 4 of 35 5 When Ms. Jones said that she would not cut her hair, Ms. Wilson told her that CMS could not hire her, and asked her to return the paperwork she had been given. Ms. Jones did as requested and left.

For all of you people calling this "racist", go look at the new york Yankees. Find me one person who has facial hair. Requiring someone to be neatly groomed isn't racist, it's good business. Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. If it's a religious thing, imagine one of those South American people with the bone in their nose. How comfortable would you feel in the customer service industry if that is the person serving you.

That's terrible. It's 2016, man, SMH.

My office is cool because a bunch of different companies work on the same floor so you see all types of people, no damns given about hair or tats or attire. I guess I'm lucky but I would want that to be the norm.

For all of you people calling this "racist", go look at the new york Yankees. Find me one person who has facial hair. Requiring someone to be neatly groomed isn't racist, it's good business. Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. If it's a religious thing, imagine one of those South American people with the bone in their nose. How comfortable would you feel in the customer service industry if that is the person serving you.

:stoneface:

as long as whites, asians, etc are banned from rocking locks too... I don't even see how this is racist...

Comfortable. [emoji]129300[/emoji]

I'm not comfortable with the people that look like the ones that stole half the world, killed off entire groups of people and polluted the air and water serving my coffee either, but I tolerate it. Funny how some people only care about their own level of comfort and we all have to adjust to it. That's white privilege.

Back
Top Bottom