Engagement ring experts?

So this year I will pop the question to my girl who I have been with for 5 years + the mom of my 3 year old son.  I don't have that much money so I was wondering what should I look into for an engagement ring or wedding bands?  Maybe something 1g & under?  I'll most likely replace this engagement ring in the near future, I'm just trying to make it official because 1. My girl is illegal & we love each other to death, getting married would make her a US citizen +  I want to make it official that I'm my sons father. (got a kid when I was 18 & my girl parents is legally his guardian)  I just need a ring that is at least decent when I ask her to marry me on her birthday or I was thinking our 5 year anniversary which will give me more time to stack.

I picked out my own *kanyeshrug*
laugh.gif
The engagement wasn't a surprise as we discussed marriage prior and I'm the one who has to wear it.

Just remember the 3 C's- cut, clarity, carat- start doin some research via internet, that's what i did and i did okay...

Have you ever asked her what type of ring she likes? Casually show some pics of celeberty engagement rings to get an idea of what style she likes.
laugh.gif
But don't make it obvious.

The reason I said celebs is because you can easily find and the cut and carats of the ring.

I was lucky enough to have a friend's fiance make mine for my wife. I used a 3 stone setting, which I picked out. 2 diamonds were from my Grandmother's ring, which were the side stones, and I purchased the main diamond.

I knew what she'd like. She designed her own wedding band though (by the same girl who did the engagement ring).

First suggestion would be to get an idea of what she'll like and back out the cost from there.

Thanks a lot everyone, I don't know how I can trick my girl into looking at rings she would definitely know whats up.

I'll do my research, thanks again

Originally Posted by cocolicious

Have you ever asked her what type of ring she likes? Casually show some pics of celeberty engagement rings to get an idea of what style she likes.
laugh.gif

The reason I said celebs is because you can easily find and the cut and carats of the ring.

thatsjust stupid...

That's simple, it'll work. If you can see her rocking it, then you're onto the right path.

I'd honestly suggest going to a honest, local jeweler, before a department store. That's just me, though.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

That's simple, it'll work. If you can see her rocking it, then you're onto the right path.

I'd honestly suggest going to a honest, local jeweler, before a department store. That's just me, though.
Yeah I'm not going to rush it, I'll definitely look around.

Thanks

Originally Posted by eeibaby

I was looking at this, what do you guys think ?

http://www1.macys.com/cat...=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I'm going to choose the ring because I know any ring I get my girl she would cry over, I'm going to let her choose the next engagement ring

Macys? I wouldn't get an e ring from a department store but idk if you think she will like it then ok.
Btw that's a nice ring, not my type of ring but it's still nice.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

cocolicious wrote:

laugh.gif

thatsjust stupid...

Well it wouldn't be that obvious if he saw a magazine with a celeb with an e ring and casually asked her about it.

Shop around buddy and stay away from the corporate chains. Mom and pop shops can save you a grip, screw the 3 c's for the first ring and if your young.

Zales, Kay, Belden, etc are all running sales right now. Get her like a 1/4ct. for now and upgrade later. I got my girl a 1/2ct. and I'm gon add an enhancer and a 1/2 ct. band for the wedding. U should be able to find somethin nice for under a stack right now w/ the diamond sale goin on

Everyone gets to an age where they're going to have to settle down, especially if its good for the family

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Originally Posted by cocolicious

laugh.gif

thatsjust stupid...

why would it be stupid?

not all women are the same.

1. some like the element of surprise
2. some would like to give an idea 1st
3. some like Nawth up there - it wasn't a surprise at all

the wifey is #2. she's always told me what kind of ring she wants.

for a grand tbh it can't go far unless:

1. you get an excellent diamond (Ideal AGS cut or GIA 3EX + H&A for both) but it'll be a small diamond

or

2. like the ones you posted but I can almost guarantee : 1. cut will be S1 - below 2. color is I - below

there's tons of factors to be considered, it's not the 4Cs only, it goes beyond that. If you want to learn more: pricescope.com

but if you're really on a tight budget, get her a classic solitaire like the ones you posted from Macy's.

if she genuinely loves you, she'd accept anything as long as you give her one.

You can never go wrong with a nice solitaire..My wife's ring is a 3/4 ct. princess cut w/ pavee diamonds on the side set in Platinium and it's an E color..My friends a jeweler so I got an amazing deal..But if you want to spend less than a grand then you'd be better off going to a store like Macy's than a mall based retailer..Most of Macy's rings are descent color and clarity, plus most come with a certificut(sp?)..Alot of mall based stores stones are really cloudy and have visible flaws, unless your spending over your limit..The ring you posted the link for is a very nice and tasteful ring that Im sure your girl would be more than proud to have on her finger..Good luck bro and congrats..

Back
Top Bottom