Engineering Majors?

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

Thanks for keeping me motivated.
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

^^^ NO PROBLEM GUYS. ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO ASK AND I'LL GIVE ADVICE. MOTIVATION IS DEF NEEDED IN ENGINEERING.

I WILL POINT OUT THAT GRADUATING WITH AN ENGINEERING DEGREE AND BEING YOUNG MAKING A SALARY AT YOUR YOUNG AGE THAT MOST AMERICANS WOULD KILL FOR FEELS GREAT, BUT DON'T LET MONEY BE YOUR DECIDING MOTIVATION. YOU GOTTA LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOATHE ENGINEERING. TRUST ME, I STARTED OFF IN COMPUTER ENGINEERING AND DIDN'T SWITCH TO ELECTRICAL UNTIL THE BEGINNING OF MY JUNIOR YEAR. I HATED IT. NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WOULD OF CONVINCED TO PURSUE A CAREER IN IT. NOW I LOVE MY CAREER. IN FACT, I FEEL LIKE I'M OVERPAID BECAUSE I WOULD DO MY JOB FOR LESS MONEY BUT I WON'T EVER TELL MY BOSS THAT
laugh.gif

FINALLY, I FORGOT TO POINT OUT THAT THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO AFTER STUDYING IS WORK A CO-OP/INTERNSHIP WHILE IN SCHOOL. THIS IS INVALUABLE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BEING ABLE TO LAND THESE EASIER THAN LANDING AN ACTUAL JOB WHEN THE STAKES ARE HIGHER SO THAT YOU CAN COME OUT WITH ENGINEERING EXPERIENCE AND READY TO JUMP RIGHT INTO THINGS.

I'VE HAD TO GO TO SCHOOLS AND EVENTS FOR RECRUITING FOR MY JOB AND WAS SPECIFICALLY TOLD TO SELECT CANDIDATES WITH CO-OP/INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE AND TALKING WITH OTHER RECRUITERS AT THESE EVENTS, THAT SEEMS TO BE THE GENERAL CONSENSUS. A LOT OF COMPANIES HAVE BEEN PLACING MORE EMPHASIS ON EXPERIENCE THAN ACTUAL GPA. IN MY INSTANCE, I BOMBED MY FIRST YEAR IN ENGINEERING SCHOOL. LITERALLY ENDED FRESHMAN YEAR WITH A .95. HAD TO BUST MY BUTT OFF TO GRADUATE WITH A RESPECTABLE 3.01. I KNOW I HAD TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A CO-OP TO TRY AND LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD SO I DID CO-OP FOR 2 YEARS. FOR MY POSITION I WAS SELECTED OVER A GUY WITH 3.9 GPA WHO HAD NO CO-OP/INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT YOU GUYS!!

I'm in fourth year now, and I have a few regrets... Here they are (as a list of things to consider lol, not exactly a list of regrets);

1) Do not do this unless you are into it. As with most things in life, effort is REQUIRED, and if you are not into it, you will find it hard to put in the effort.
2) If you know you are absolutely crap at math and somehow your application doesn't filter you out, reconsider! Math is the bread and butter of most engineering streams. It is unfortunate, but the truth is, we all can't do everything, and some of us just can't do math.
3) From the get go, do not be afraid to get acquainted with some of your professors. They can be useful references, or even hire you as a research assistant.
4) Apply for internships/co-ops as early as possible. I mean this as in: early in your program (ie. 2nd year), as well as in the months of December and January, as that is when places start looking for summer internships (which reminds me, I need to get on this myself)
5) I can not stress this one enough, make sure you are interested in what you are doing. I'm in my fourth year, and still skeptical of my choice, and it has not served me well. I've missed on lots of good oppurtunities, and after graduation there's a high chance I will be screwed...
6) This is kind of an aside, but learn decent English skills. SOOOO many engineers are crap at english, it can be frustrating as hell working with others.

Anyways, there's my few cents. Take it as you will.

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

A general question for you guys, where you always good at math or did that just come with time ? Its always been one of my weakest classes, but i have wanted to be a engineer for a few years now. btw 25 and juswt starting class in Jan, hope they are right its never too late to learn

I was always "o.k" at math in H.S. because I felt I never put enough effort into it. I really started to excel at math and physics in college where it was such a focal point that I intensified my workload and study habits. You don't have to be a genius, you just have to work hard and know how to apply what you learn

i really tried to deal with that caps !#$%...i really did

kudos to anyone that read both of those posts
laugh.gif

I graduated from Cal Poly SLO this past June with a bachelors in electrical engineering. I concentrated in Power Systems Analysis and Control. I got a job right out of college working in Hydro and I enjoy it. I'm planning on getting my PE within the next 2 years and then pursuing my MBA when I am 25-26.

Pros:
-money
-plenty of job opportunities

Cons:
-You have to have a strong work ethic. I graduated in 4 years but I worked my %%$ off my 2nd and 3rd year. If you are motivated though, you will be fine.

If anyone starting college has questions, get at me. I remember how tough my freshman year was with the workload. But once you get use to the college life and learn how to manage your time, everything becomes much easier.

About 12 credit hours until I'm done with my 4 year (taking me 5 years) degree.� I'm majoring in EE with a track in both RF communications and Signals and Systems (the difference is one extra class).

I can count how many parties I've been to, and it's 3.� Strangely enough all were during my Junior year, which as I understand is generally the hardest one no matter where you're going to school.� No lie it was a hard one.� Nothing would hold a candle in the wind to my Senior year where for my Senior design classes I would have to help design and build a robotic can launching fridge with a team that had never built anything before.� I basically passed the classes as a contractor
laugh.gif
� If it moved on that fridge I had a hand in it.

This is a video of a test we did on it.� I'm the one holding the camera so I'm not in the video.� This was taken at 9am...we had started testing at 10am the day before, and this wasn't a weekend.� We all had homework, quizzes, and classes to do.� Hell I went to work after a quick nap
laugh.gif
frown.gif

edit: Also my blood pressure goes up when I watch this video, you are looking at at least 600 of my own dollars here because the school short changed my group and refused to fund us more
30t6p3b.gif

I see a lot of ME's here... any successful CE's on nt?
Just wondering as it is the major i am focusing on and would like to see what the outlook possibly is on this major.

-Get At Me...

Memphis pretty hit everything on the head. Myself I went Colorado School of Mines(Graduated in 2008) its a small Engieering School in Golden, CO. Was a ME major. We were an Engineering College so eveybody was pretty busy all the time. College was hard at times I cant even lie, but so worth it if you hang in there. Math is critical for your success in school. Dont be lazy and let the calculator do all the work, make sure you understand concepts.

Currently I work for a company in Charlerston, SC. We produce polyester fiber and resins chip. I am the Reliability Engineer. Essential I look at these heavy pieces of equipment and try to determine how, when and what will fail on it, and also how to prevent it. Thats my job in one sentence, but its quite complicated and a drag at times but very rewarding.

The one thing that I have to mention though is you may not be great a praticular class in school its no big deal, I hardly use anything I learned in school maybe 25%. Experience is what is mostly used when you are an Engineer. I mean its great to be book smart, but expereince is how you become a great engineer. I have friends that had 3.9s graduating, and they are terribly at their jobs because they think everything should be in a book.

If you guys have any question PM any time and we can exchange emails or whatever.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

Memphis pretty hit everything on the head. Myself I went Colorado School of Mines(Graduated in 2008) its a small Engieering School in Golden, CO. Was a ME major. We were an Engineering College so eveybody was pretty busy all the time. College was hard at times I cant even lie, but so worth it if you hang in there. Math is critical for your success in school. Dont be lazy and let the calculator do all the work, make sure you understand concepts.

Currently I work for a company in Charlerston, SC. We produce polyester fiber and resins chip. I am the Reliability Engineer. Essential I look at these heavy pieces of equipment and try to determine how, when and what will fail on it, and also how to prevent it. Thats my job in one sentence, but its quite complicated and a drag at times but very rewarding.

The one thing that I have to mention though is you may not be great a praticular class in school its no big deal, I hardly use anything I learned in school maybe 25%. Experience is what is mostly used when you are an Engineer. I mean its great to be book smart, but expereince is how you become a great engineer. I have friends that had 3.9s graduating, and they are terribly at their jobs because they think everything should be in a book.

If you guys have any question PM any time and we can exchange emails or whatever.
I WORKED WITH A GIRL WHEN I WAS AT TIMKEN STEEL WHO GRADUATED IN 2008 FROM THE COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES. CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY HER MAJOR BUT IT WAS EITHER METALLURGY OR CHEMICAL ENGINEERING.

Anybody here majored/is majoring in computer science?
Thats my major and im wodering what kinda work you do?

Ill probably be taking trig in a winter session at a CC, would you guys recommend me on doing so or should I just hold it off till the Spring and finish another class needed in the Winter.

Im pretty behind on my math since I was a Criminal Justice major, so Im trying to catch up. Im barely on geometry, but thats going really well.

I have a lot of classes to get through though. =/

Originally Posted by Maelstroom

What do you guys think of Industrial Engineering?

I was looking into this at first, but then I realized that ME really has a broad area and is more versatile in a sense that you can get a job at many places.

Anybody want to describe work life of Civil engineering and mechanical engineering?

Also, anybody graduate from a nonengineering school like a University? Howd the job searching go?

Get the trig done in the winter. It’s pretty easy and not a deal breaker in your remaining math classes. You’ll use less of it, ostensibly, as you move on.

Chem E here.
I graduated with an undergrad degree in Chemistry (2008).
I completed my masters in Chemical Engineering (2010).
I make good money >60k but I'm not happy.
Currently an operations manager for Frito-lay for the past 1.5 year.
I am currently looking for another job where the work is closer to my field.
I will be taking the FE this April since I haven't yet.
Wish me luck lol.

Originally Posted by Juve9ile18

I will be taking the FE this April since I haven't yet.
Wish me luck lol.
I just took my FE this weekend and it was painful. Start studying now and good luck. If you want any advice hit me up.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

whats the difference between mechanical and civil?

Civil you are dealing with infrastructure, mechanical you are dealing with the moving equipment inside and around this infrastructure. Mechanical is a very broad field tho....I work in HVAC sales....

This is a poor explanation, but there is so much more to go into about the subject.  If you are deciding on the two...you have to look at a number of factors....

pookieman wrote:

Civil you are dealing with infrastructure, mechanical you are dealing with the moving equipment inside and around this infrastructure. Mechanical is a very broad field tho....I work in HVAC sales....

This is a poor explanation, but there is so much more to go into about the subject.  If you are deciding on the two...you have to look at a number of factors....

I think this is the best explanation for the difference between the two. But since Mechanical is so broad you can pretty much do anything. I have a friend who was an ME and now works a civil job. In my opinion I would say ME is the versatile engineering degree you can get.

And to those taking the FE exam, please please dont out think yourself and study way too much. I took the test and didnt really study at all, I looked back on some math and Chem a week before it and passed. Dont stress it. After you take it you feel like you failed for sure, but you have to remember its a pass/fail test based on the average score of everyone who took it. So dont worry and just take it. Plus the second part of the test my Professor said is design to make you freak out, but the first half of the test isnt too bad. Just use your formula book because most of the answers are actually in the book some where.

the joke goes that Civil is for the Mech E dropouts.. ie the kids who couldnt handle it when Sum of the forces =/= 0 and *$#% starts moving
laugh.gif

i'm a junior MechE.. *$#% is rough, especially because i go to a competitive school. idk if it's quite this stressful at other places. my advice to all of you guys would be to GET EXPERIENCE NOW. i started late with the internships/activities, and even in that short time i've gained industry-standard expertise in certain areas. makes me see that had i started out sooner companies would be drooling to hire me by now. 

Back
Top Bottom