Engineering Majors?

Anybody ever have a teacher where they don't know what the **** they're doing and are just as confused as the students are?

Taking the FE again in November after getting smoked by it in July. That was with no preparation though so this time around I'll be ready. I shouldve taken it while I was still in college honestly.

In my last year. My senior project course is split into two semesters

Lets get this thread lively again. I'm currently a Civ-E thats in construction for almost two years now. I've been thinking on switching over to design so i'm not pigeonholed, but I dont know if:

1. I'm going to enjoy using CAD 8 hours a day
2.Ready for the pay cut that seems to inevitably happen between construction and design

Civil Engineer working for the State of CA. My office focuses on providing financial assistance to small disadvantaged communities throughout the state for infrastructure improvement projects, mainly drinking water but also some wastewater. Coming up on 8 years with the State.

Lets get this thread lively again. I'm currently a Civ-E thats in construction for almost two years now. I've been thinking on switching over to design so i'm not pigeonholed, but I dont know if:

2.Ready for the pay cut that seems to inevitably happen between construction and design

I plan on being in this exact scenario in two years. I’m just going to get my finances in order so the pay cut doesn’t hurt.

Also, the construction stuff will always be there if you decide design isn’t for you. Then with your skill set you can get into design & build projects.

I plan on being in this exact scenario in two years. I’m just going to get my finances in order so the pay cut doesn’t hurt.

Also, the construction stuff will always be there if you decide design isn’t for you. Then with your skill set you can get into design & build projects.

Was going to say the above. You can flourish in design build. What are you guys doing in construction? CEI? Field engineers?

I did construction management as a consultant to the DEP and I currently work as a GC for city agencies.

Was going to say the above. You can flourish in design build. What are you guys doing in construction? CEI? Field engineers?

Field project engineer. Ideally I'd want to do two years of construction, then two years of design and take it from there.

Took the FE today. Definitely feel better about this one compared to my first try at it. Lets see when the results get back.

Reactions: ASE
It’s been a minute lol graduated last year , worked for a construction company for a period of time . But just got an offer in South Florida for a design transportation company , planning to take the FE soon , I’ve been doing the practice exam for a year and have been watching Gregory Michaelson videos I’m still nervous af about it

It’s been a minute lol graduated last year , worked for a construction company for a period of time . But just got an offer in South Florida for a design transportation company , planning to take the FE soon , I’ve been doing the practice exam for a year and have been watching Gregory Michaelson videos I’m still nervous af about it

I just took it for the 3rd time on April 30th and passed. I used his videos heavily in my preparation as I found his problems to be extremely similar to the ones on the actual exam. Definitely schedule a test date if you have adequately prepared as you don't want to begin to forget the subject matter you learned initially and it will force you to hone in on a set timeline.

Also, speaking of South Florida, the construction and engineering industries are both booming right now. Great region to be in for engineering.

I just took it for the 3rd time on April 30th and passed. I used his videos heavily in my preparation as I found his problems to be extremely similar to the ones on the actual exam. Definitely schedule a test date if you have adequately prepared as you don't want to begin to forget the subject matter you learned initially and it will force you to hone in on a set timeline.

Also, speaking of South Florida, the construction and engineering industries are both booming right now. Great region to be in for engineering.

Thank you ! I’m gonna stop putting it off & take it in the upcoming 2 weeks , I really appreciate you for the motivation lol I’m lowkey afraid of it , but I’m gonna keep watching his videos and applying his concepts

Update: How the years have passed, I got my license in CA last year been working in the private sector side going on 5 years now.

For those studying for the tests keep on trying and putting in the time to study and best of luck that day of passing it is coming.

Getting ready to start preparing to take the PE Exam. I've been working in construction for the last four years, but I am seriously considering taking the Structural depth since I find solving those problems more interesting/ structures being the reason I wanted to get into engineering in the first place. Currently debating which exam to take.

Congratulations,

How long did you study for?

Thanks bro.
I took the Power PE exam for the 2nd time. The first time I didn’t study much just did some practice exams and failed.

This time I took a review course that my work paid for. I went thru Zach Stone with electricalPeReview.com. It was really beneficial. I watched the live classes/lecturers, did the HW, and reviewed as much info from the website as I could.

I was going for like 10-12 hours a week for like 2 months. Then I took a week off work and studied. Rewatched the lectures on 2x speed and passed. So in total like 2-3 months of really studying. Probably around 125ish hours.

Back
Top Bottom