ENVY 14/17 (Real Macbook Pro Killer)

^ when Asus first announced the N82JV back in January, i determined then and there that my next laptop will be an Asus. it was almost perfect. i5, above average graphics card with optimus, USB 3.0, perfect size (14"). the only thing is that it was 1366x768 which i can live with. a month goes by after it was announced.....then another, then another, then another. It's almost august now and still no n82jv (at least in the US), and still no decent alternatives. yea there's the g73, but at 17" and 10+ pounds, what's the point of a laptop?
laugh.gif

optimus technology is great, but nvidia should really come up with a way to allow the user to manually change it. not everybody wants their graphics cards running when they're watching youtube videos.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

^ when Asus first announced the N82JV back in January, i determined then and there that my next laptop will be an Asus. it was almost perfect. i5, above average graphics card with optimus, USB 3.0, perfect size (14"). the only thing is that it was 1366x768 which i can live with. a month goes by after it was announced.....then another, then another, then another. It's almost august now and still no n82jv (at least in the US), and still no decent alternatives. yea there's the g73, but at 17" and 10+ pounds, what's the point of a laptop?
laugh.gif

optimus technology is great, but nvidia should really come up with a way to allow the user to manually change it. not everybody wants their graphics cards running when they're watching youtube videos.
I would say go ahead and cop that G73JH-A1. I did and never looked back. The cooling system is mad nice + the added warranty is a nice addition.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

laugh.gif

I would say go ahead and cop that G73JH-A1. I did and never looked back. The cooling system is mad nice + the added warranty is a nice addition.

Smh, I just read this whole thread and I'm thinking about selling off my 15" MBP for 1000-1200 which I bought for only $600 from a friend
pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Smh, I just read this whole thread and I'm thinking about selling off my 15" MBP for 1000-1200 which I bought for only $600 from a friend
pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Originally Posted by iAllan

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Just asking, but seeing as how I already own an ENVY 14 and love it, what did you learn from the thread that helped the ENVY appeal to you as opposed to just keeping your MBP?

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Just asking, but seeing as how I already own an ENVY 14 and love it, what did you learn from the thread that helped the ENVY appeal to you as opposed to just keeping your MBP?

Originally Posted by Guppetto

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Word, why would you sell your macbook you obviously see it retains value since your selling it for more than what you spent for it. For a HP computer that you will actually lose some value every year you have it. You got to look at its as projection rate how much money you spend for it now and how much money you think you might get for it within 2-3 years. You can sell a Macbook do some hardware upgrades and bundle it with a Apple care still sell it for a good price cause it can be resold with or with out the computer and transferred as well . A windows computer like the envy you'll be stuck with because you can't really sell an extra warranty with it cause it's kinda illegal in some stated and might not be transferable to your buyer even though hp sells extended warranties. Pound for Pound I still believe Apple computer still have more Value than any PC computer out there on the market if you wanted to resale. 

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Word, why would you sell your macbook you obviously see it retains value since your selling it for more than what you spent for it. For a HP computer that you will actually lose some value every year you have it. You got to look at its as projection rate how much money you spend for it now and how much money you think you might get for it within 2-3 years. You can sell a Macbook do some hardware upgrades and bundle it with a Apple care still sell it for a good price cause it can be resold with or with out the computer and transferred as well . A windows computer like the envy you'll be stuck with because you can't really sell an extra warranty with it cause it's kinda illegal in some stated and might not be transferable to your buyer even though hp sells extended warranties. Pound for Pound I still believe Apple computer still have more Value than any PC computer out there on the market if you wanted to resale. 

I was thinking about buying a MacBook Pro 13, but I came across the HP Envy Beats Edition for the same price. I would never even consider the envy for $2500 but at $1200, it's kinda tempting. Any suggestions on which I should go with? Spec-wise, I know the Envy is much better than the MBP 13 but I keep hearing about all these reliability issues with HP.

I was thinking about buying a MacBook Pro 13, but I came across the HP Envy Beats Edition for the same price. I would never even consider the envy for $2500 but at $1200, it's kinda tempting. Any suggestions on which I should go with? Spec-wise, I know the Envy is much better than the MBP 13 but I keep hearing about all these reliability issues with HP.

When did the Envy 17 come out?

If I buy another laptop, I'll probably get this one.~

EDIT: Also, I keep reading that the ENVY 17 does not have an internal optical drive. Does that mean the Blu-ray/DVD-RW is connected through a USB or something?~

When did the Envy 17 come out?

If I buy another laptop, I'll probably get this one.~

EDIT: Also, I keep reading that the ENVY 17 does not have an internal optical drive. Does that mean the Blu-ray/DVD-RW is connected through a USB or something?~

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Guppetto, honestly, your argument about the specs and prices prompted me to consider switching back to HP.

With that said, and now that the idea of switching back to HP has settled in my head, I decided to stick with my mac. The idea of getting another HP reminded me of why I had to cop a replacement computer in the first place. My parents bought me a souped up HP Entertainment laptop for my high school graduation present and after the end of my freshman year of college, I started experiencing the burning hot temperature(I couldn't even lay it on my lap), the loud $*% fan (I was embarrassed to bring it to class), and the wack battery that barely survived two 50 minute lecture classes. It was just my luck that my big brother's homeboy was selling his MBP because he just purchased the i7 one.  He even hooked me up with a better graphics card, replaced the battery, the hard drive, and the disc drive for free!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
to copy a Envy 14.

Guppetto, honestly, your argument about the specs and prices prompted me to consider switching back to HP.

With that said, and now that the idea of switching back to HP has settled in my head, I decided to stick with my mac. The idea of getting another HP reminded me of why I had to cop a replacement computer in the first place. My parents bought me a souped up HP Entertainment laptop for my high school graduation present and after the end of my freshman year of college, I started experiencing the burning hot temperature(I couldn't even lay it on my lap), the loud $*% fan (I was embarrassed to bring it to class), and the wack battery that barely survived two 50 minute lecture classes. It was just my luck that my big brother's homeboy was selling his MBP because he just purchased the i7 one.  He even hooked me up with a better graphics card, replaced the battery, the hard drive, and the disc drive for free!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

The Envy 14 and 17 are expandable to 8GB of RAM and run a switching graphics paradigm with an ATI discrete chip and Intel integrated graphics (No graphics switching with the quad-core configuration, though). The graphics switch is not as seamless as that of Nvidia's Optimus, so you will have to change a setting in software, or at the very least, pull the AC adapter plug.

I was reading a review on pcmag.com of the Envy 14, and it was being compared to a Mac Book Pro, but I'm not very computer literate when it comes to the actual internals like hard drives, mother boards, graphics cards, ect... so can someone please explain this quote to me?
nerd.gif
Graphic switching is basically  changing how a laptop functions when it needs to render images in HD, like playing a graphic intensive video game like mw2. Now normally when you have a dedicated or discrete graphics card in a laptop its always on even if your not playing a video game or doing something like typing up a paper. It kills your battery runtime easily. 

So Hp came up with away you can turn off the graphics card manually so you can get ample battery life and since its using a ATI graphics card. But to turn it off you have to restart your computer or do it through the software it comes with. But how would you when you do and don't need a graphics card? you'll have to a make a judgement call. 

Now there are some Laptops that have automatic graphics switching to discrete to integrated like a Macbook pro, that it with automatically detect when you are playing a video game or PS'ing. Giving you a performance when you need it. It will turn off if it detects all your doing is basic typewriting or surfing the net and use Intel integrated graphics. Nvidia Optimums gives you automatic switching without you having to restart your computer or using software to turn of manually and make your judgment calls. It will give you the option to do so but rather leave it automatic and have the computer make the calls. This automatic switching  will give you increased battery runtime.

Macbook Pro is not the only laptop that has this technology, Asus has it, Toshiba, Acer. I think sony has it as well. HP nope.

If you really want a Macbook pro Killer the Envy is the wrong Computer to look at. Asus is in the forefront of advance technologies. 1st laptop to use Nvidia's Optimums switching and USB 3.0  

Thanks for the explanation! I'm looking for a new laptop for college, but I'd really like to have Windows 7.  I'll look into Asus though, if not then I'll probably end up getting a MBP
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

The Envy 14 and 17 are expandable to 8GB of RAM and run a switching graphics paradigm with an ATI discrete chip and Intel integrated graphics (No graphics switching with the quad-core configuration, though). The graphics switch is not as seamless as that of Nvidia's Optimus, so you will have to change a setting in software, or at the very least, pull the AC adapter plug.

I was reading a review on pcmag.com of the Envy 14, and it was being compared to a Mac Book Pro, but I'm not very computer literate when it comes to the actual internals like hard drives, mother boards, graphics cards, ect... so can someone please explain this quote to me?
nerd.gif
Graphic switching is basically  changing how a laptop functions when it needs to render images in HD, like playing a graphic intensive video game like mw2. Now normally when you have a dedicated or discrete graphics card in a laptop its always on even if your not playing a video game or doing something like typing up a paper. It kills your battery runtime easily. 

So Hp came up with away you can turn off the graphics card manually so you can get ample battery life and since its using a ATI graphics card. But to turn it off you have to restart your computer or do it through the software it comes with. But how would you when you do and don't need a graphics card? you'll have to a make a judgement call. 

Now there are some Laptops that have automatic graphics switching to discrete to integrated like a Macbook pro, that it with automatically detect when you are playing a video game or PS'ing. Giving you a performance when you need it. It will turn off if it detects all your doing is basic typewriting or surfing the net and use Intel integrated graphics. Nvidia Optimums gives you automatic switching without you having to restart your computer or using software to turn of manually and make your judgment calls. It will give you the option to do so but rather leave it automatic and have the computer make the calls. This automatic switching  will give you increased battery runtime.

Macbook Pro is not the only laptop that has this technology, Asus has it, Toshiba, Acer. I think sony has it as well. HP nope.

If you really want a Macbook pro Killer the Envy is the wrong Computer to look at. Asus is in the forefront of advance technologies. 1st laptop to use Nvidia's Optimums switching and USB 3.0  

Thanks for the explanation! I'm looking for a new laptop for college, but I'd really like to have Windows 7.  I'll look into Asus though, if not then I'll probably end up getting a MBP
ohwell.gif

Sorry to thread jack, but how does this laptop look specs wise. Is it too big of a price tag for the specs? It looks good. How does it compare to the Macbook Pro/Envy

For some reason I can't post the link no idea why. It's a VPCF126FM Sony Vaio on Best Buy. Runs about 1,400. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry to thread jack, but how does this laptop look specs wise. Is it too big of a price tag for the specs? It looks good. How does it compare to the Macbook Pro/Envy

For some reason I can't post the link no idea why. It's a VPCF126FM Sony Vaio on Best Buy. Runs about 1,400. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

whats the start up time on these windows computers now a days? Im typing from my MBP and im open minded to good quality computers. If this ENVY landed on my lap i would surely use it on specs alone. I was a former windows user but i wouldnt mind just doing both.

whats the start up time on these windows computers now a days? Im typing from my MBP and im open minded to good quality computers. If this ENVY landed on my lap i would surely use it on specs alone. I was a former windows user but i wouldnt mind just doing both.

Back
Top Bottom