Epic REACT Mods and Carbon Fiber experiments

Discussion in 'Sneaker Art' started by Four by Six, Apr 20, 2018.

1. I feel the need for speed... I'm only gonna use them for races, so who cares if they hurt a little

2. I'm all for compromise - give me as much additional speed as you can with all day wearability

3. Give me Cloud 9 - I want the float on clouds feeling all the time, who cares about my time

4. Size 9

5. Size 9.5

6. Size 10

7. Size 10.5

8. Size 11

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Four by Six

Four by Six

I went to the Nike clearance store at lunch today and did not have any luck finding cheap ERs or Rise's. So, I won't be able to do any crazy shoe destroying experiments until I find a new supply of cheap ERs. I'll keep doing my nondestructive testing though. I might even risk a small hole in my IDs, as I really like the feel of the crazy hole.

2. Four by Six

Four by Six

Here's some great info from "Cookie" at Nike, a 26 year veteran who engineered Nike Vaporfly NEXT.

He says they added more ZoomX to 4% because the lab guys said if you want to store more energy, you need more foam, as the foam is what is storing the energy. But they were limited in how much they could add due to wanting to keep the shoe stable.

Also, while the shoe stores and returns 4.4% energy, the foot and achilles tendon complex of a human body is capable of storing and returning 50% of the energy. He says there is a tradeoff, as a lower (zero) offset shoe maximizes the 50% body energy return, but causes fatigue and injury, while the higher offset (10mm) Nike uses lowers the 50% body return but minimizes achilles fatigue.

I jump directly to the relevant part in video below:

3. Four by Six

Four by Six

I'm finally going to get to use these Rise for what I bought them for - lightweight hiking/trail shoes. I am headed to the Rockies for hiking and backpacking. I did make one modification to them. I took the "floaty" carbon fiber plates I made for use in my Rise shoes and added a layer of dense woven Kevlar on the bottom as a rock guard. The CF plate evenly distributes pointy loads across the bottom of my foot while the Kevlar layer makes sure nothing breaks through the bottom. I could stand on the sharp end of a nail now and be OK. I am a bit concerned about traction, given my last hiking experience with my triple black Rise, but the React foam should grab the jagged edges of the loose rocky trails OK.

4. Four by Six

Four by Six

So far so good... Enjoying the Rise as a lightweight hiking shoe. The React foam out/midsole is super soft over jagged rocks. The flared heel works great going downhill as it contacts the ground first and eases the transition into a braking foot motion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Four by Six

Four by Six

Still luv'in the Rise as a trail shoe... Wore them today as watershoes for a rafting trip.

[​IMG]

The water got too shallow and had to get out and drag the raft. All I did was remove my socks and the insoles, and submerged my feet. Hung them to dry from my bear line and they were dry by sundown.

[​IMG]

rrlegend likes this.
  6. Four by Six

Four by Six

Used Rise’s as boat shoes today for tubing on ice cold alpine lake... Brrr!

[​IMG]

7. Four by Six

Four by Six

Last big hike of trip... 3000ft vertical climb along river, through Grizzly bear country, to Alpine lake. Rises’ did great today.

[​IMG]

8. Four by Six

Four by Six

Glad to be back in my soft, comfy turbos, running on flat paved running paths... A week of vertical hikes on crumbly rock trails takes its toll on ankle/calves.

[​IMG]

9. Four by Six

Four by Six

Today was VaporFly day in my shoe rotation. I keep VFs in my rotation so I can have enough data to compare to my modified ERs. VFs are the gold standard in running efficiency. While I prefer laceless ERs with my custom CF plates, I can't deny that the ZoomX (PEBAX) in the VF is vastly superior to the REACT (synthetic rubber) in the ER. I really wish Nike would make a "Turbo" version of the Epic Reacts with some ZoomX in the midsole.

[​IMG]

10. Four by Six

Four by Six

Headed on global business trip with only Triple Black IDs with glued in CF plates. They will do triple duty as business, leisure, and running shoes.

[​IMG]

11. Four by Six

Four by Six

So how did the Rise do as a lightweight hiking shoe? They did everything so well that I thought it would be easier to talk about two situations they did not do well in, rather than everything they did great.

First is what I call heel stability. No, this is not over/underpronation control. I'm talking about how much the lower calf has to work to keep the ankle aligned on uneven surfaces. The long distance from the ankle to the bottom of shoe, combined with the soft foam midsole made my ankles work very hard when on rounded or sharply shaped rocks. It was not a problem on most trail surfaces, just when I got to sections with irregular rocks.

[​IMG]

The second issue was the shoe was not stiff enough for the toe area to hold the entire weight of the body when only the toe area could contact the trail on steep climbs. I used my most flexible carbon fiber plates in the shoe, which made them more comfortable, but in retrospect I should have used my most stiff plate, or maybe even made a special completely rigid plate. This was only an issue on the extremely steep hills with only small gaps in rock to wedge the toes into for traction.

[​IMG]

This is not a dig or complaint against the Rise, as all athletic shoes used for hiking will have these two issues. It is more of a rigid heavy hiking boot vs flexible lightweight boot issue. Only a very stiff, rigid, high rise boot will not have these two issues, and then, well, you are stuck with a hot, heavy, uncomfortable boot that traps foot heat and sweat.

In summary, the Rise is the best lightweight trail shoe I've ever used (especially with my carbon fiber plate added), but it will not replace dedicated stiff mountain boots for more extreme climbs.

12. Four by Six

Four by Six

My triple black laceless ERs doing duty in central China. My most versatile shoes. Love the reflective black swoosh.

[​IMG]

13. Four by Six

Four by Six

Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but the laceless ERs with CF plate make a pretty good skateboarding shoe. I tried the ERs without a plate, and they were OK for boarding, but a little too flexible and unstable. With the CF plate added, they provide a very stable platform for everything but extreme tricks (which I can't do anyway). The REACT foam really isolates the board vibrations from the foot.

Here is a pic from today, longboarding on cobblestone in Sweden. The cobbles are tough to board on, and the ER midsole really soak up the bumps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 5:04 PM