European Championship 2012, Poland-Ukraine June 8-July 1

Originally Posted by Noskey

Spain...

We are coming. We will get our revenge.
revenge? from what? you guys are world champs
roll.gif
I love France to take this but if NED get revenge and win it all I will be ecstatic. I went for them last WC final anyway

also, glad to see that england has a durable keeper now. now only if defense can stand.

I hope Portugal takes it, but the need to seriously improve their game because they've been
sick.gif
  lately.  I'm glad their in the group of death, go big or go home from the start.  Joined and made a bracket.

Originally Posted by AlmostNotReady

It looks like Balotelli will be fine.
And he will have both last names on his jersey.

Barwuah Balotelli 

Interesting choice considering at times the Italian fans get on him for not being Italian, but he isn't one to give a damn what people think of him. I hope he has a good tournament.

I have Germany winning it all. Rooting for Germany (part german), RoI (part irish), and Spain (love their style of play).

I really want to see Ireland do good but realistically ....

Originally Posted by M4rioL

Originally Posted by Noskey

Spain...

We are coming. We will get our revenge.
revenge? from what? you guys are world champs
roll.gif
I love France to take this but if NED get revenge and win it all I will be ecstatic. I went for them last WC final anyway

Revenge for World Cup 2010. I've got Dutch blood, not Spanish. Sorry if that came across different than what I meant. Take the pic as Bert pointing at the Spaniards. Go Oranje
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

I got France taking it. Or Italy if Balotelli gets to play.
Rooney was Englands only hope. They got no chance.
Balotelli? I think there are more crucial players than him on the squad
Like who?
The strikers will make all the difference in this tournament.

Thats why England have no chance.. 
Pirlo is (still) Italy's most important player. Strikers don't necessarily make the difference in these tournaments - it's usually the midfielders. If you can dictate the play, control the tempo, and create enough chances from midfield your side will usually manage victory.
England have strikers, but have no realistic chance because of how they play; 4-4-2 playing the long ball to a target man. They may even bully their way to the knockout stages in this manner, but the top competition will be able to deal with the physical/aerial play while also controlling midfield due to inherent tactical flaws of a 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3 (extra CM creates an advantage in that area). 

I'll be supporting my "ancestral" Spain. Somewhat concerned about the Pique-Ramos pairing as it'll be unfamiliar, but they should adapt quickly enough. More concerned about Arbeloa's injury problems. His understudy JuanFran has only 1 cap to his name. Also, this could be the year that the double pivot kills us. Sergio should be the lone holding mid, imo. 

A third consecutive major tournament victory would be an unprecedented achievement. Bit nervous, but only the Germans have a comparable side on paper, and after watching the warm up friendlies I've got a feeling Don Andres will lead us to glory once again. 
pimp.gif

does anyone know if these games will be viewable online?

i'll be at work so I can't catch the opening match on ESPN for Poland @ 11:30 am Eastern time.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

i'll be at work so I can't catch the opening match on ESPN for Poland @ 11:30 am Eastern time.

ESPN3/WatchESPN will be streaming all of the matches online.

My bracket at the moment:
Group A: Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Greece.

Group B: Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Denmark.

Group C: Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland.

Group D: England, France, Sweden, Ukraine. 

QF: Germany over Poland, Italy over England, Netherlands over Russia, Spain over France.

SF: Spain over Netherlands, Germany over Italy. 

F: Germany over Spain (3-2). 

Looks like Jose Mourinho plan is working after all.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Xavi criticises Madrid attitude[/h1]
June 4, 2012

By ESPN staff

Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez has threatened to stoke tensions in the Spain squad after again criticising the manner in which Real Madrid players have reacted to defeat.

barcelonacelebvmadrid20120125_275x155.jpg

GettyImagesXavi feels Real Madrid's player have to learn to praise their opponents when suffering defeat

There have long been concerns that the ferocious rivalry between the two clubs may cause disharmony in the national set-up, and coach Vicente Del Bosque recently confirmed there were issues between Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos. "If Pique and Ramos do not get along, they'll be dropped," Del Bosque said. "They are young kids with their differences, but we have no problems."

Xavi has now risked provoking the Real Madrid players in the squad as he repeated comments he made in January and April suggesting Barca's players have a more sporting approach.

"We have congratulated them when they won," he told Canal+. "That is sport at the end of the day. We have been very respectful with them. However, I have noted that it wasn't the same in reverse."

With seven Barcelona players and five Real Madrid players in Spain's Euro 2012 squad, concerns will be raised as to the mood of the camp.

Nonetheless, after Luis Aragones steered the team to Euro 2008 glory and Del Bosque took them to their first World Cup triumph two years later, Xavi is upbeat about the team's chances this summer.

"The national team now lives in a peaceful environment," he said. "Before, the people didn't believe in us. I heard that these players can't pass the quarter-final, I saw front pages saying they didn't believe in us and this hurt.

"Luis cleared the path for the national team with a style that continues not just because it brought success but because the fans liked it, identified it and could be proud of the way Spain played. Del Bosque and the trainers that came had to understand that this philosophy couldn't be lost."

Xavi also said he was positive about the future for Barcelona after Tito Vilanova was named Pep Guardiola's successor.

"I was very surprised by Pep leaving, but when he explained it all to us, you understand," he said. "The naming of Tito also surprised me, more than anything because what had happened with his illness, but looking at the decision, I think it was treated in the best way possible.

"This team has to continue for a few more years winning titles and we don't have to change the form of coaching."

jose-mourinho-slaps-puyol-o.gif

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Anyone setup any fantasy groups on ESPN?

I can set one up.
Don't forget guys, on the Fox Soccer website. I have a bracket group named NikeTalk and the password is taptappull http://eurobracket.foxsports.com

For ESPN there is a Euro Manger fantasy game

http://games.espn.go.com/euro-manager/en_GB/ 

There is also a bracket game too http://games.espn.go.com/euro-bracket-predictor/en_gb/ 

For both games, the group name is NikeTalk and the password is taptappull

If the links don't work just go to Fantasy & Games

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Balotelli? I think there are more crucial players than him on the squad
Like who?

Pirlo is (still) Italy's most important player. Strikers don't necessarily make the difference in these tournaments - it's usually the midfielders. If you can dictate the play, control the tempo, and create enough chances from midfield your side will usually manage victory.
England have strikers, but have no realistic chance because of how they play; 4-4-2 playing the long ball to a target man. They may even bully their way to the knockout stages in this manner, but the top competition will be able to deal with the physical/aerial play while also controlling midfield due to inherent tactical flaws of a 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3 (extra CM creates an advantage in that area). 

I'll be supporting my "ancestral" Spain. Somewhat concerned about the Pique-Ramos pairing as it'll be unfamiliar, but they should adapt quickly enough. More concerned about Arbeloa's injury problems. His understudy JuanFran has only 1 cap to his name. Also, this could be the year that the double pivot kills us. Sergio should be the lone holding mid, imo. 

A third consecutive major tournament victory would be an unprecedented achievement. Bit nervous, but only the Germans have a comparable side on paper, and after watching the warm up friendlies I've got a feeling Don Andres will lead us to glory once again. 
pimp.gif
I was gonna say that you could argue that Nocerino would be more crucial. I'm a fan of Balotelli but I just don't think that he is at the point of his career where can much such a big impact. But you pretty much summed up what I would have said but better.

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

pimp.gif
you da man.  do you have to log in to watch the games though? I tried randomly clicking on sportscenter and it asked for a log in. My resident has Verizon Fios but not in my name. Do I log in with the name the bill is under?

I've never viewed anything through ESPN online before.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

pimp.gif
you da man.  do you have to log in to watch the games though? I tried randomly clicking on sportscenter and it asked for a log in. My resident has Verizon Fios but not in my name. Do I log in with the name the bill is under?

I've never viewed anything through ESPN online before.
frown.gif
Ask him/her if they have a Verizon online account. If they don't, set one up for them.

I can set one up.
Don't forget guys, on the Fox Soccer website. I have a bracket group named NikeTalk and the password is taptappull http://eurobracket.foxsports.com

There is also a bracket game too http://games.espn.go.com/euro-bracket-predictor/en_gb/ 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Like who?

pimp.gif
I was gonna say that you could argue that Nocerino would be more crucial. I'm a fan of Balotelli but I just don't think that he is at the point of his career where can much such a big impact. But you pretty much summed up what I would have said but better.
You right about Pirlo.. And I understand his importance to the team.
But having Pirlo on the pitch isn't going to win you the match(Especially against Spain)

Italy is gonna need goals. They need someone with speed, power, and that can win headers and apply pressure to Spains defense.

There is not a single defense in the Euros that can stop Balotelli from getting his shot off/creating chances.

Cant wait for the tourney to start.

I can set one up.

Back
Top Bottom