Euthanasia: Your Thoughts?

I haven't seen this topic on NT before so I thought it'd be an interesting discussion to have. What are your thoughts on euthanasia or, for those who aren't familiar with the term, assisted suicide?

I recently read a CNN article, an incredibly biased one at that, by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Dr. Kevorkian and was reminded of the topic. Other instances, that particularly stand out to me, that have brought about the debate include the Terri Schiavo case and the Ramon Sanpedro case.

I personally think that euthanasia should be a legalized practice. It's wrong that people cannot choose to go out in a dignified manner on their own terms.

I haven't seen this topic on NT before so I thought it'd be an interesting discussion to have. What are your thoughts on euthanasia or, for those who aren't familiar with the term, assisted suicide?

I recently read a CNN article, an incredibly biased one at that, by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Dr. Kevorkian and was reminded of the topic. Other instances, that particularly stand out to me, that have brought about the debate include the Terri Schiavo case and the Ramon Sanpedro case.

I personally think that euthanasia should be a legalized practice. It's wrong that people cannot choose to go out in a dignified manner on their own terms.

I support it since there's some people such as vegetables who are just suffering on the inside. Let them rest in peace

on another note, I remember when i first heard it in anthro class, i was like, why is there a debate on "Youth in Asia"? since it sounds like that
roll.gif

I support it since there's some people such as vegetables who are just suffering on the inside. Let them rest in peace

on another note, I remember when i first heard it in anthro class, i was like, why is there a debate on "Youth in Asia"? since it sounds like that
roll.gif

For those that subscribe to some sort of religion, what are your thoughts on the matter? I understand that in this country, one of the biggest arguments against euthanasia is that it's somehow "playing God" and that's why it's wrong/evil. I just find it extraordinarily hypocritical when it's not considered "playing God" when medicine is used to cure diseases and prolong life. Is it not wrong to extend a person's suffering as opposed to helping them end it?

For those that subscribe to some sort of religion, what are your thoughts on the matter? I understand that in this country, one of the biggest arguments against euthanasia is that it's somehow "playing God" and that's why it's wrong/evil. I just find it extraordinarily hypocritical when it's not considered "playing God" when medicine is used to cure diseases and prolong life. Is it not wrong to extend a person's suffering as opposed to helping them end it?

I'm indifferent.

I truly don't know what to feel. I see both sides of the argument, and I'm torn. Case by case basis, I suppose.

I'm indifferent.

I truly don't know what to feel. I see both sides of the argument, and I'm torn. Case by case basis, I suppose.

Never deeply got in to this topic as others but I know the basics.

Not for it. Giving people the tools or helping them kills themselves doesn't sit well with me, whether they're in a massive amount of pain or not. I say ride it out. I'm opposed against any kind of suicide but if the pain is that much for them they should find a way on their own to do it if they believe they should be able to choose how to die (as long as you aren't being helped along the way).

Not for it. Giving people the tools or helping them kills themselves doesn't sit well with me, whether they're in a massive amount of pain or not. I say ride it out. I'm opposed against any kind of suicide but if the pain is that much for them they should find a way on their own to do it if they believe they should be able to choose how to die (as long as you aren't being helped along the way).

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Some people CAN'T do it on their own. Read up on the story of Ramon Sanpedro. The gist of his story was that he was in a diving accident and became a quadriplegic at the age of 25. He was sure he wanted to die but couldn't commit suicide himself. He fought for his right to die for the next 29 years and then eventually passed away when a friend of his helped give him a cyanide-laced drink.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Some people CAN'T do it on their own. Read up on the story of Ramon Sanpedro. The gist of his story was that he was in a diving accident and became a quadriplegic at the age of 25. He was sure he wanted to die but couldn't commit suicide himself. He fought for his right to die for the next 29 years and then eventually passed away when a friend of his helped give him a cyanide-laced drink.

Back
Top Bottom