Euthanasia: Your Thoughts?

I'm for it for people that are in conscious and rational states, but in between on people in vegetative states, mostly because of the ulterior motives the family members could have.

I'm for it for people that are in conscious and rational states, but in between on people in vegetative states, mostly because of the ulterior motives the family members could have.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

That brings up another interesting topic. Is it humane to keep a person in a vegetative state alive? I would argue that it is kind of sick to keep a person hooked up to machines keeping them "alive" when they're for all intents and purposes gone from this world. I'm not talking about people in coma's or people still registering brain activity and with a glimmer of hope for recovery. The Terri Schiavo case comes to mind. I was just a kid when that was unfolding but even then I thought that couldn't possibly be life...

That brings up another interesting topic. Is it humane to keep a person in a vegetative state alive? I would argue that it is kind of sick to keep a person hooked up to machines keeping them "alive" when they're for all intents and purposes gone from this world. I'm not talking about people in coma's or people still registering brain activity and with a glimmer of hope for recovery. The Terri Schiavo case comes to mind. I was just a kid when that was unfolding but even then I thought that couldn't possibly be life...

edit: I would be more than happy to carry out Yuku's euthanasia request
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Never deeply got in to this topic as others but I know the basics.

Not for it. Giving people the tools or helping them kills themselves doesn't sit well with me, whether they're in a massive amount of pain or not. I say ride it out. I'm opposed against any kind of suicide but if the pain is that much for them they should find a way on their own to do it if they believe they should be able to choose how to die (as long as you aren't being helped along the way).
Some people CAN'T do it on their own. Read up on the story of Ramon Sanpedro. The gist of his story was that he was in a diving accident and became a quadriplegic at the age of 25. He was sure he wanted to die but couldn't commit suicide himself. He fought for his right to die for the next 29 years and then eventually passed away when a friend of his helped give him a cyanide-laced drink.

That's why I'm for it. Let a person decide. 

Not for it. Giving people the tools or helping them kills themselves doesn't sit well with me, whether they're in a massive amount of pain or not. I say ride it out. I'm opposed against any kind of suicide but if the pain is that much for them they should find a way on their own to do it if they believe they should be able to choose how to die (as long as you aren't being helped along the way).
Some people CAN'T do it on their own. Read up on the story of Ramon Sanpedro. The gist of his story was that he was in a diving accident and became a quadriplegic at the age of 25. He was sure he wanted to die but couldn't commit suicide himself. He fought for his right to die for the next 29 years and then eventually passed away when a friend of his helped give him a cyanide-laced drink.

That's why I'm for it. Let a person decide. 

If it was up to me, or I was in a vegetative state, I'd want the plug to be pulled. It's not fair to the family members to keep somebody like that hooked up to a bunch of machines for twenty years and having to suffer alongside with them. I'd want all the tubes removed from me so I'd be able to die, and my family would be able to carry on with their lives, instead of holding on to that little piece of false hope.

If it was up to me, or I was in a vegetative state, I'd want the plug to be pulled. It's not fair to the family members to keep somebody like that hooked up to a bunch of machines for twenty years and having to suffer alongside with them. I'd want all the tubes removed from me so I'd be able to die, and my family would be able to carry on with their lives, instead of holding on to that little piece of false hope.

What if it was your mom who was in massive pain and didn't have the strength to even sit up in bed let alone find a way to kill herself. It's easy to say it's wrong when it isn't someone you love that is begging to die.

What if it was your mom who was in massive pain and didn't have the strength to even sit up in bed let alone find a way to kill herself. It's easy to say it's wrong when it isn't someone you love that is begging to die.

I am for it but it defiantly needs to be regulated

"You don't know Jack", an HBO movie, is very interesting and I highly recommend it.
Its about Jack Kovorkian and how he got started. Al Pacino plays Dr. Kovorkian

I am for it but it defiantly needs to be regulated

"You don't know Jack", an HBO movie, is very interesting and I highly recommend it.
Its about Jack Kovorkian and how he got started. Al Pacino plays Dr. Kovorkian

i think this question should be asked to everyone when they hit the age of 18, so people can know weather or not to euthanize you. i am indifferent about it because of my religious views, but if i were a vegetable please euthanize me quick.

i think this question should be asked to everyone when they hit the age of 18, so people can know weather or not to euthanize you. i am indifferent about it because of my religious views, but if i were a vegetable please euthanize me quick.

Originally Posted by Manglor

If it was my mother I wouldn't kill her, I wouldn't "help" her die, and I wouldn't condone ANYONE assisting her suicide. I'd get her the best care with the best of my abilities until she passed away.
Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Chin-moved? Are you serious? First of all, how does a person "chin-move" out of bed? If there is a door in between them and a flight of stairs, do they chin-open the door?

My grandfather suffered from quadriplegia so I've seen first-hand how mentally and emotionally painful it can be. His will to live was strong, but I can see why a person wouldn't want to live like that. Why does it matter if a person receives tools? The result is the same.

And what does a comletely paralyzed person who can't speak do? Do they just "ride it out" like you say?
You gotta get creative. There has to be some format they get out of bed everyday with or without help. Some contraption that allows them to do something other than lay in bed all day. If not they would've already starved to death in bed or wherever they fell asleep.

A completely paralyzed person who can't speak is screwed if they want to die. I mean you CAN NOT condone someone helping that person die since you have no way of truly knowing they want to die.

Originally Posted by Manglor

If it was my mother I wouldn't kill her, I wouldn't "help" her die, and I wouldn't condone ANYONE assisting her suicide. I'd get her the best care with the best of my abilities until she passed away.
Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Chin-moved? Are you serious? First of all, how does a person "chin-move" out of bed? If there is a door in between them and a flight of stairs, do they chin-open the door?

My grandfather suffered from quadriplegia so I've seen first-hand how mentally and emotionally painful it can be. His will to live was strong, but I can see why a person wouldn't want to live like that. Why does it matter if a person receives tools? The result is the same.

And what does a comletely paralyzed person who can't speak do? Do they just "ride it out" like you say?
You gotta get creative. There has to be some format they get out of bed everyday with or without help. Some contraption that allows them to do something other than lay in bed all day. If not they would've already starved to death in bed or wherever they fell asleep.

A completely paralyzed person who can't speak is screwed if they want to die. I mean you CAN NOT condone someone helping that person die since you have no way of truly knowing they want to die.

That's how I feel. I'm kind or surprised, and glad, that the overwhelming sentiment of those who took the time to respond share a similar view.

Back
Top Bottom