Explain Yourself Chicago..... How You Get 15 Out Of 4 And 7?

Didn't it all start to go really downhill when they decided to level all the projects like the infamous Cabrini Green homes etc. Of course these places were surely crime ridden but at least there was likely more gang structure and leadership simply because of the proximity of OGs to BGs. When they displaced tens of thousands of people who always lived together to random neighborhoods whatever semblance of community they ever had was prly shot to hell. So now there's prly a local gang on every random block in whatever neighborhoods they forced those people into which leads to all the random gun violence. Nobody answers to anybody anymore and it's just a free for all. The kids born in the 90s remember and glorify a gang culture that they never got to learn the rules for.

I can't imagine what would happen if nyc decided to tear down queensbridge, edenwald, Brownsville etc etc and randomly relocate the residents. Surely chaos would ensue.

I was told The murders always seem to rise In the summer due to people being outdoors cuz they dont have A/C in the crib.

Open up a few Wholefoods / Trader Joes, problem solved.
nerd.gif
Unfortunately there are no grocery stores in urban communities as to why most food deserts are in these areas. The lack of car transportation doesn't allow for patrons to buy groceries in bulk. They have to take the bus and only buy groceries they can carry. Therefore it is not good business to open grocery stores in these communities. Which is why when you drive through these communities you see nothing but 7-11s, bodegas and fast food places selling food high in fat contributing to the obesity problem we see in low income communities.
So from a law enforcement and political perspective they don't care enough. They don't care to put an end to or even curb a bunch of gangs that have no leadership and are in the streets committing dumb crimes.

I can't completely buy you putting this on the incarceration rate and lack of good gang leadership. The whole reason you need an okay for a hit in LA from top brass is because of how severe their law is. Nobody want these kind of problems for the entire fam when **** goes down let alone when some punk makes a dumb move that can put everybody away. So they instill fear and a pretty strict organized structure. So if the Chi lacks that it should be even easier to round up a bunch of idiots with guns that don't value their lives.
I do not think it is easy to round up all the idiot gang members with guns who don't value their lives. There is an estimated 70,000 gang members with the city of Chicago. Also mass incarceration 9ie the war on drugs) has led to male leadership in the home and on the street vacant, so I really don't see how you cant determine this to be a factor.

I agree with you the strict laws in California do play some role. Some of the gang injunctions in California include already illegal such as selling drugs, vandalizing property and possessing weapons. Other activities that they are restricted from doing have included associating with other named gang members, curfew or riding bicycles. We see the stop and frisk policy in NY and some contribute that to the reduction in crime (They dont 95% of stop and frisks find no contraband). 

Although these methods may work they are short term solutions and one's that i believe violate our basic human rights and perpetuate racism and stereotype. They increase the tension between youth of color and police and perpetuate the stereotype that youth of color are criminals. You go to any urban community in NY and CA when the police role up all everyone known to get against the wall to be searched. Laws like stop and frisk and crimes like riding bikes violate our 4th amendment rights which prohibits unreasonable search and seizures and sets out requirements for search warrants based on probably cause. Just because you are a person of color does not give the police or anyone a right to search or bring you to jail because of suspicion of illegal activity.

Lastly locking people up is the last thing we need. These gang members are still people who are capable of doing great things with their lives. Many of them are so young with their brains still developing. They are not animals or people who are considered less than and should be looked down upon. Like any person who is hurting they need help. And prison is not a rehabilitation center it is a punishment. Not only that, our brown and black brothers are punished even after they paid their debt to society by being labeled felons. Felons have more difficulty finding jobs are not allowed to apply for government assistance (food stamps, WIC, section 8 housing, college loans etc). They are also unable to perform their basic democratic right of vote and serve on a jury. 

IMO proper mental health diagnosis needs to be performed. Many veterans of war are diagnosed with PTSD, which is induced from witnessing or experiencing traumatic events. Individuals with PTSD are far more prone to substance abuse, unable to sustain relationships, and violent outbursts. All of which we see in crime ridden communities. And we all know these communities are just as violent as war.

@CasperJr  and @jadakhanman  I totally agree the tearing down of CG was a big mistake but just like sending people to jail it was a short term fix.
It is what it is really. We got our car shot up years ago for making a wrong turn. You have to understand that some gang areas have their rivals across the street from each other. Police can't be everywhere. There is a shoot first mentality and life really means nothing , but also if your out riding around at 2am in a bad neighborhood you have a higher chance to be a victim of violence. I like the herm Edwards rule of 12 that says nothing good happens after 12. One of the shootings I believe was actually someone with a conceal carry shooting at someone who pulled a gun on them first. Conceal carry is very new to the city.
Agree with the rule of 12

[COLOR=#red]NYC should be the model city of how to slowly change a huge violent crime ridden metropolis into a reinvigorated vibrant city. What people don't know that the Times Square area of Manhattan used to be the prostitute ridden, 3 pr0n shops on every block, vermin infested mug-a-thon area. Now it's one of the biggest tourist areas in the city. After Guliani came in with his controversial tactics New York City has turned its entire image around for the most part. Basically it takes a strong leader who gives no dams about people complaining bout how the city is changing.

Red Hook Projects which was one of Brooklyn's most notorious areas now has an Ikea...Harlem is cleaning up, and even Brownsville area of BK is being revitalized. Chicago can be fixed...NYC is a much larger and complex city and it worked for them...no excuses.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]NYC should be the model city of how to slowly change a huge violent crime ridden metropolis into a reinvigorated vibrant city. What people don't know that the Times Square area of Manhattan used to be the prostitute ridden, 3 pr0n shops on every block, vermin infested mug-a-thin area. After Guliani came in with his controversial tactics New York City has turned its entire image around for the most part. Basically it takes a strong leader who gives no dams about people complaining bout how the city is changing.

Red Hook Projects which was one of Brooklyn's most notorious areas now has an Ikea...Harlem is cleaning up, and even Brownsville area of BK is being revitalized. Chicago can be fixed...NYC is a much larger and complex city and it worked for them...no excuses.[/COLOR]

Listen to this man, he is 100% right, I bug out everytime I go to red hook, Ikea, A DAM IKEA!!!!!

Listen to this man, he is 100% right, I bug out everytime I go to red hook, Ikea, A DAM IKEA!!!!!

[COLOR=#red]Exactly my dude, I am still surprised to this day :lol:

Ok so here are some numbers for perspective...in 1991 NYC had over 2400 murders in one year...in 2013 there were 333 murders which is less than one murder per calendar year and NYC has a population of over 8 million people...that's pretty amazing a city so big with relatively so few murders.

Chicago needs to get their stuff right and it starts at the top...it's lazy just to blame the terribly misguided youths. I mean yeah they are the ones committing a lot of the murder, but there are ways to curb it.

Interesting fact: NYC is made of 5 Boroughs (BK,Bronx,Queens,Manhattan, Staten Island)...they are not individual cities...but if Brooklyn was its own city it would be the 4th largest city in the United States. [/COLOR]

Rahm Emanuel is not the mayor to usher in change like Rudy was. Rahm too busy playing Obama politics to get anything done

Didn't it all start to go really downhill when they decided to level all the projects like the infamous Cabrini Green homes etc. Of course these places were surely crime ridden but at least there was likely more gang structure and leadership simply because of the proximity of OGs to BGs. When they displaced tens of thousands of people who always lived together to random neighborhoods whatever semblance of community they ever had was prly shot to hell. So now there's prly a local gang on every random block in whatever neighborhoods they forced those people into which leads to all the random gun violence. Nobody answers to anybody anymore and it's just a free for all. The kids born in the 90s remember and glorify a gang culture that they never got to learn the rules for.

I can't imagine what would happen if nyc decided to tear down queensbridge, edenwald, Brownsville etc etc and randomly relocate the residents. Surely chaos would ensue.

I forgot what documentary I was watching but a dude who lives out there basically said all of this. It was bad but they tore the projects down and everything went to hell :smh:

Its the music, that whole Chiraq movement in music is giving the young kids someone to look up 2, just look at the ages of the shooters and the deceased

An idle mind is the devil's playground.

its deeper than rap though.

Last edited:
As a Nigerian growing up, I always felt that I needed to adopt the african american culture, but i grew out of it real fast in high school. I am not bashing anyones culture/ music/ heritage but I believe it is culture. Its a way of living. It is as if it is acceptable. Don't get me wrong i understand the dominant society and what they are doing, however from my personal experience i think its a culture that is glorified. You got dudes in Milwaukee screaming "Squad". :smh: :smh:.

To change a society you must change the future and the future is children

[COLOR=#red]Exactly my dude...Rap is the chicken, not the egg. Rap is the expression of their effed up situation...and the situation was there before the "Chiraq" movement.

[/COLOR]

True but it def. adds fuel to the fire, dudes getting jealous of other dudes getting deals n ish (Chief keef cuz/durks cuz), making threats on songs (lil jojo) I feel sad for all the dudes that want to make it but have to be surrounded by that stuff

Last edited:
NYC should be the model city of how to slowly change a huge violent crime ridden metropolis into a reinvigorated vibrant city. What people don't know that the Times Square area of Manhattan used to be the prostitute ridden, 3 pr0n shops on every block, vermin infested mug-a-thon area. Now it's one of the biggest tourist areas in the city. After Guliani came in with his controversial tactics New York City has turned its entire image around for the most part. Basically it takes a strong leader who gives no dams about people complaining bout how the city is changing.

Red Hook Projects which was one of Brooklyn's most notorious areas now has an Ikea...Harlem is cleaning up, and even Brownsville area of BK is being revitalized. Chicago can be fixed...NYC is a much larger and complex city and it worked for them...no excuses.
I find it very difficult for to say other cities should take the same approach NYC has. NYC is unlike any other place is the world (NYC in the summer is the GOAT). The land in NYC will always have value and everyone will always want to live there whether they be national or international residents. In 2010 NYC was rated the most global city in the world taking into account political engagement, cultural experience, information exchange, human capital and business activity. This is something that no other city in the US can match up with. Cities like Chicago, Detroit, St.Louis even LA just don't have the ability to offer residents, businesses etc what NYC can. When any part of NYC is starting to get "cleaned up" there will be an abundance of bidders willing to take that land.
Exactly my dude, I am still surprised to this day
laugh.gif

Ok so here are some numbers for perspective...in 1991 NYC had over 2400 murders in one year...in 2013 there were 333 murders which is less than one murder per calendar year and NYC has a population of over 8 million people...that's pretty amazing a city so big with relatively so few murders.

Chicago needs to get their stuff right and it starts at the top...it's lazy just to blame the terribly misguided youths. I mean yeah they are the ones committing a lot of the murder, but there are ways to curb it.

Interesting fact: NYC is made of 5 Boroughs (BK,Bronx,Queens,Manhattan, Staten Island)...they are not individual cities...but if Brooklyn was its own city it would be the 4th largest city in the United States.
But we have seen the same decrease in crime nationally and throughout other major cities.  In 1992 there were 1,092 murders in Los Angeles. In 2012, the city recorded just 298.

Here is a chart of Chicago's murder's since 1965 to 2013 

We see they are no where near what they were in the early 90's. So i find it difficult to say Guliani was the reason for the decrease in murder rates when other cities and the nation was going through a similar decline.

link to the murder rate written by my colleague http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/2014/01/28/chicago-crime/

Last edited:
I find it very difficult for to say other cities should take the same approach NYC has. NYC is unlike any other place is the world (NYC in the summer is the GOAT). The land in NYC will always have value and everyone will always want to live there whether they be national or international residents. In 2010 NYC was rated the most global city in the world taking into account political engagement, cultural experience, information exchange, human capital and business activity. This is something that no other city in the US can match up with. Cities like Chicago, Detroit, St.Louis even LA just don't have the ability to offer residents, businesses etc what NYC can. When any part of NYC is starting to get "cleaned up" there will be an abundance of bidders willing to take that land.

But we have seen the same decrease in crime nationally and throughout other major cities.  In 1992 there were 1,092 murders in Los Angeles. In 2012, the city recorded just 298.

Here is a chart of Chicago's murder's since 1965 to 2013 

View media item 1069158

We see they are no where near what they were in the early 90's. So i find it difficult to say Guliani was the reason for the decrease in murder rates when other cities and the nation was going through a similar decline.

[COLOR=#red]Ok to be really really specific it wasn't JUST Guliani, and the decrease started with Dinkins, but it was social theory and data metrics employed by the NYC that have made a difference. A lot changed for the better on Guliani's watch. I don't even really care for the guy too much, but during his tenure the city became a beer place.

I agree with you that homicides in general have gone down in a lot of the major cities though. Understand this though Chi has more homicides than NYC although NYC has 3 times more people than Chi. Chicago still has a ways to go my dude. [/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom