EXPLOSION @ Boston Marathon

Really? Thats surprising.

You got a link the that info? Not that I dont believe you, that just seems really odd.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph...g-the-death-penalty-your-tax-dollars-at-work/

" “It’s 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive,”says Donald McCartin, known as The Hanging Judge of Orange County. McCartin knows a little bit about executions: he has sent nine men to death row.

McCartin isn’t talking about the comparisons between the cost of the actual execution and the cost of keeping an inmate in prison: those aren’t apples to apples comparisons.

It’s true that the actual execution costs taxpayers fairly little: while most states remain mum on the cost of lethal injections because of privacy concerns from pharmaceutical companies, it’s estimated that the drugs run about $100 (the Texas Department of Criminal Justice put the cost  of their drug cocktails at $83 in 2011). However, the outside costs associated with the death penalty are disproportionately higher.

To begin with, capital cases (those where the death penalty is a potential punishment) are more expensive and take much more time to resolve than non-capital cases. According to a study by the Kansas Judicial Council  (downloads as a pdf), defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not considered. In terms of costs, a report of the Washington State Bar Associationfound that death penalty cases are estimated to generate roughly $470,000 in additional costs to the prosecution and defense versus a similar case without the death penalty; that doesn’t take into account the cost of court personnel. Even when a trial wasn’t necessary (because of a guilty plea), those cases where the death penalty was sought still cost about twice as much as those where death was not sought. Citing Richard C. Dieter of the non-partisan Death Penalty Information Center, Fox News has reported  that studies have “uniformly and conservatively shown that a death-penalty trial costs $1 million more than one in which prosecutors seek life without parole.”

And let’s not forget about appeals: in Idaho, the State Appellate Public Defenders office spent about 44 times more time on a typical death penalty appeal than on a life sentence appeal  (downloads as a pdf): almost 8,000 hours per capital defendant compared to about 180 hours per non-death penalty defendant. New York state projected that the death penalty costs the state $1.8 million per case just through trial and initial appeal.

It costs more to house death penalty prisoners, as well. In Kansas, housing prisoners on death row costs more than twice as much per year ($49,380) as for prisoners in the general population ($24,690). In California, incarceration costsfor death penalty prisoners totaled more than $1 billion from 1978 to 2011 (total costs outside of incarceration were another $3 billion). By the numbers, the annual cost  of the death penalty in the state of California is $137 million compared to the cost of lifetime incarceration of $11.5 million. "

the death penalty is fiscally irresponsible, which is funny because these most of these so called "fiscal conservatives" are the ones that want to keep the practice in place...

Last edited:
^ thanks. I did a paper on it years ago when I was in college. It was a bit surprising to me too at fiest, but it makes sense when you think about cost of trials, appeals, death row housing, etc.

Meh, call me what you want but I want his hands, feet and tongue cut off and acid thrown on his face. Strap him to a chair, out a gun o his head and tell him he's about to die. Then when he's done urinating, deificating and vomiting on himself out of fear pull the trigger to reveal the gun is just a toy. Throw him in a box and do it again in about a day or two.

**** him
Well, that's a bit extreme.  

They claim to not fear death, make them fear life. "Extreme"? This guy planted bombs to kill innocent people for NO REASON. **** him and anyone who stands for it. Make an example out of him

His crime was extreme too

So let's stoop to his level then, right? Problem solved.

The guy is going to die for his crimes. Good enough for me. What's gonna be great is when he realizes he isn't getting those virgins.

He's not being punished, he's getting what he wants. Stardom and an escape

We're going to have to agree to disagree but I have sympathy for cowards like this POS and everyone else of the sort.

Last edited:
Yeah, idk that pumping out a movie about this was all that necessary.

Back
Top Bottom