Filipino Culture Thread

filipino food is very slept on compared to other cultures... the food is just not popular in the general public...and the crazy thing is the food at mom and pops joints are crazy overpriced for a small serving :smh:
I've always thought that Filipino food is overpriced everywhere. I prefer to take the time and make bistek myself than spend $7 for a small order:sick:

Some places can't even get sisig done correctly.

Do your families still hold Filipino traditions?

My wife's family is heavily traditional, while my side of the family is not.

Lou Diamond Phillips is Filipino? But that's my favorite Mexican actor.
Yessir. He's half Filipino. I thought he was half Mexican, but he isn't at all.

I think I just thought that due to all the roles he played :lol:

I thought Benjamin Bratt was half Filipino, but was wrong.

If you guys want traditional filipino hand tapped tattoos, follow @lanewilcken on IG, he tours the US and does pop up events i think.

BTW this what us Visayans looked like pre-colonial times, the Spanish initially called us Las Islas Pintados.

Pintados20141012.gif

I'm not really a traditionalist but my wife is Greek and heavy with her traditions, so it's not really looking good for my kids:smh:

My pops speaks filipino to them but that's as far as that'll probably go. I don't even put the "Parol" light outside my house during Xmas|l

I'm not really a traditionalist but my wife is Greek and heavy with her traditions, so it's not really looking good for my kids:smh:

My pops speaks filipino to them but that's as far as that'll probably go. I don't even put the "Parol" light outside my house during Xmas|l
Considered buying one this year, then I saw how expensive it was.

You're not alone, bro.:lol:

It honestly feels like to me that we are the only people in the world that romanticizes our colonizers. That absolutely makes no sense to me.

Surprised this hasn’t been addressed thoroughly. Used to date a 1/2 Black & Filipina girl and she wouldn’t give up Catholicism for the life of her. I usually don’t try and sway people when it comes to that but she was looking for clarity on some issues in her life and I was showing her how it could be traced back to that, and how colonialism tied into it. The other thing that always tripped me out is the blatant omission of the negritos and how they gave birth to the whole culture.

With that said, adobo is probably my fav food on the planet. Unfortunately when I was in the bay recently lucky three seven was closed. Anyone had it before?

This cute, Filipina camgirl was complaining how some trendy, hipster place in cali had expensive prices for Filipino food. That’s what trendy places do, just stick to the cheap mom & pop spots.
LA city proper has crap Filipino food

Gotta go Cerritos, West Covina or somewhere else

I’ve tried Sari Sari(DTLA) and Big Boi(West LA)

Prices are similar to Chipotle

Actually pre-colonial times, negritos and austronesians lived separately. Seldom did they mix. Negritos were nomadic and the austronesians established villages.

You mind elaborating on this more? Never really dug deep into it. I thought the negritos were the established village people and the austronesians were the people who came over by way of colonialism.

You mind elaborating on this more? Never really dug deep into it. I thought the negritos were the established village people and the austronesians were the people who came over by way of colonialism.

When the Spanish arrived, they saw both ethnic groups living separately. The Negritos were definitely the first to populate the islands but I don't know much about their initial interaction with the austronesians. Negritos did not use to establish villages since they we're nomadic, just temporary shelters and on to the next one.

LA city proper has crap Filipino food

Gotta go Cerritos, West Covina or somewhere else

I’ve tried Sari Sari(DTLA) and Big Boi(West LA)

Prices are similar to Chipotle
Looks like I need to make the drive to Cerritos soon lol.

Where can I find a Fil-Am B-Ball rec league that allows full-blooded 5'11 players to sign up?

So far, I've been banned due to the height restrictions. :lol::smh:

Good Filipino food I’ve had in SoCal(LA and The valley)

Sari Sari
Max’s
Ninongs
BigBoi
DJ Bibingkahan(West Covina branch)
Kusina Ni Lola

There used to be great turo turo places but a lot of them closed and most of the places on Vermont in LA suck

I still need to try Rice Bar in DTLA

Back
Top Bottom