Filipino Culture Thread

C8987AE6-11A2-493B-B625-FA3967425BF1.jpeg

Best place to order a whole lechon in NYC area?

Also, anyone in here have real estate in the homeland? Just bought some and I'm gonna build a few rental units in it.

Last edited:
What? I’ve never heard that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Texas

On April 12, 1716, an expedition led by Domingo Ramón left San Juan Bautista for Texas, intending to establish four missions and a presidio which would be guarded by twenty-five soldiers.[26][27] The party of 75 people included 3 children, 7 women, 18 soldiers, and 10 missionaries.[25] These were the first recorded female settlers in Spanish Texas.[27] After marrying a Spanish woman, St. Denis also joined the Spanish expedition.[25]

The party reached the land of the Hasinai people in late June 1716 and was greeted warmly.[28] On July 3, mission San Francisco was reestablished as Mission Nuestro Padre San Francisco de los Tejas for the Neche Indians. Several days later, Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción was established at the main village of the Hainai, the head tribe of the Hasinai Confederacy, along the Angelina River. A third mission, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, was established 15 miles (24 km) east of Purísima Concepción, at the main village of the Nacogdoche tribe, at what is now Nacogdoches. A final mission, San José de los Nazonis, was built among the NazoniIndians just north of present-day Cushing.[28] A presidio, Nuestra Señora de los Dolores, was built opposite San Francisco de los Tejas.[29]

During this period, the area was named "New Philippines" by the missionaries in the twin hopes of gaining royal patronage, and that the Spanish efforts would be as successful as in the Philippines a century and a half earlier. The alternate name persisted in use for about 40 years, but had virtually disappeared from use (in favor of 'Texas') by the end of the century. The name however persisted in documents, especially in land grants [30]

Also, anyone in here have real estate in the homeland? Just bought some and I'm gonna build a few rental units in it.
Man. I don't eat lechon but I remember back in the day there was someone who roasted whole lechon in his backyard in Woodside and sold it to people lol

And man, I know a few people who live in NY but are landlords of properties in the Philippines. It seems like a hassle. There's always some tomfoolery going on and it's hard to control when you live in another country. Like people will be building their own **** on your property without your permission, and by the time you come around they give you a hard time about wanting to take it down.. Naaa b I can't do it.

Last edited:

I’m surprised no ones been able to answer this yet. I’m literally a few min away from the GWB in NJ and I can name about 5 legit places within a few miles from here that makes that to order.

I usually get a pound just for me every Sunday from one of those local spots. Nothing like fresh lechon and garlic rice on a relaxful Sunday.

I’m surprised no ones been able to answer this yet. I’m literally a few min away from the GWB in NJ and I can name about 5 legit places within a few miles from here that makes that to order.

I usually get a pound just for me every Sunday from one of those local spots. Nothing like fresh lechon and garlic rice on a relaxful Sunday.

:nerd: we might be thinking of the same spots :lol:
They've been pretty hit or miss from my experience. Sometimes the balat isn't crunchy and sometimes the meat isn't seasoned enough.

My uncle ordered one for the Father's Day celebration later today. Hopefully it's a good one .

I thought daly city in the bay area has the biggest Filipino population in the us ?

The antiquated name was when Spain had sovreignty over the Texas territory, sort of how like Yerba Buena was the old colonial name of San Francisco

Is Daly City the biggest? I imagine Carson/LBC has more because its SoCal

The South/Southeast is actually one of the origins of Filipinos in American history. Despite Filipinos mostly because in California, they actually arrived in Louisiana where there used to be a Little Manila called Saint Malo: the first Filipino settlement in American history

They happened to immigrate more to California after probably because of farm work and not being affected by naturalization laws as much being a colonial posession of the USA

Reminder that this was happening in California less than 100 years ago too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watsonville_riots

Last edited:

Are you by Mitsuwa by any chance, bro? :nerd:

-Drew

Mitsuwa...never thought I'd hear that mentioned on NT. :lol:

Edgewater is a pretty chill area. Hard to get to though. The George Washington Bridge is a pain in the ***

Mitsuwa...never thought I'd hear that mentioned on NT. :lol:

Edgewater is a pretty chill area. Hard to get to though. The George Washington Bridge is a pain in the ***

Haha for some reason I thought there would be some NTers from around that area to be honest. I'm from the Westchester,NY area but my girl and I usually head to chill in Edgewater at times.

The GW is ridiculous. I find myself just driving to the Tappan Zee to get home. It's a longer route, but at least it's a much more scenic route. :lol:

-Drew

Did they stop trying to rename the tappan zee to cuomo something since everyone complained?

:nerd: we might be thinking of the same spots :lol:
They've been pretty hit or miss from my experience. Sometimes the balat isn't crunchy and sometimes the meat isn't seasoned enough.

My uncle ordered one for the Father's Day celebration later today. Hopefully it's a good one .

BBQ Pit in Bfield? My family’s known the owners since they took over from the previous ones and since my Pops orders lechons from them pretty frequently, they make sure I’m never disappointed. Plus, I’m used to making my schedule sync up with their first fresh batch:lol:

Are you by Mitsuwa by any chance, bro? :nerd:

-Drew

Yezzir! My favorite ramen place is there so I’m always in there. Plus, I need my monthly Squash Air Freshner re-fill:lol:

BBQ Pit in Bfield? My family’s known the owners since they took over from the previous ones and since my Pops orders lechons from them pretty frequently, they make sure I’m never disappointed. Plus, I’m used to making my schedule sync up with their first fresh batch:lol:

Yessir! First time we ordered from them in years.

It was pretty damned good today. Definitely not disappointed.

20180617_135158_HDR.jpg

And the aftermath
20180617_174511.jpg

Ayyy shout out to Mitsuwa. I'm probably there like once a month
Haha I'm there every five years or something like that. It's just too inconvenient to travel to. Traffic getting to the george washington bridge and then traffic on the gwb itself. Otherwise I'd be there once a month too.

Back
Top Bottom