First Name That Comes To Mind When You Hear " Whats Wrong With The NBA"

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I dont see what the problem with stern is

word, I remember when people were all butt hurt about the dress code and age limit; and now nobody could give a horse's rear
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jimmybfree

Clay Bennett... by a long shot

i'll second that. save the sonics.
but i also think of Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest from the brawl for some reason.

he "fixes" things that don't need fixing (the ball, dress code) and focuses so much on international bball, while at the same timeallowing bad officiating, flopping, and tanking to ruin the sport.

I don't have a problem with Stern like some of yall seem too...

Honestly the first name that came to mind was Starbury...and basically because I think he lost his mind not too long ago.

(waits for someone to post "closer to God" video)
laugh.gif

first name that popped into my head when i read "wrong with the NBA" was JR Rider, not JR Smith

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

he "fixes" things that don't need fixing (the ball, dress code) and focuses so much on international bball, while at the same time allowing bad officiating, flopping, and tanking to ruin the sport.

The problem I have with this statement is that while some people may say that some things don't need fixing, there is always room for improvement...
Now the ball issue, I think the way Stern handled it was wrong...but in theory the new ball was actually supposed to have performed better.
IMO that wasn't that big of a deal because if you've played ball all of your life, it doesn't matter what kind of ball you play with. As long asit's regulation size it's gonna go thru the basket, end of story

And people can say what they want about the dress code, but IMO it was needed and a successful move.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

he "fixes" things that don't need fixing (the ball, dress code) and focuses so much on international bball, while at the same time allowing bad officiating, flopping, and tanking to ruin the sport.

The problem I have with this statement is that while some people may say that some things don't need fixing, there is always room for improvement...
Now the ball issue, I think the way Stern handled it was wrong...but in theory the new ball was actually supposed to have performed better.
IMO that wasn't that big of a deal because if you've played ball all of your life, it doesn't matter what kind of ball you play with. As long as it's regulation size it's gonna go thru the basket, end of story

And people can say what they want about the dress code, but IMO it was needed and a successful move.

nobody would care about any of that stuff, ball, or dress code, if we just address what is really wrong with the league. that's my problem with him. fixthe league and improve the quality of the games before you fix the little things that don't matter.

in theory, the new ball was supposed to be great. in reality, it was cutting peoples palms. in theory the dress code was supposed to........i have no ideawhat it was supposed to do, but i can tell you what it's done, nothing. the image of the league is still the same, thug, as witnessed by many a post inthis thread. in theory, flopping, tanking, and bad refereeing are ruining the game. in reality, nothing is being done to stop it.

David Stern makes $11 million per year in base salary as NBA commissioner.
And? Kwame Brown makes $9 million per season, but what does that have to do with anything?
nobody would care about any of that stuff, ball, or dress code, if we just address what is really wrong with the league. that's my problem with him. fix the league and improve the quality of the games before you fix the little things that don't matter.
You have to look at it from the stand point that the job of the commish is to sell his product to the fans first....so yes the dress code is aMAJOR success.
I don't care to begin that discussion again but think again if you seriously think that any has "done nothing" for the league and it'simage...
And as far as basketballs "cutting palms"
laugh.gif
come on now...

Found this Askmen.com article somewhat interesting...

Rising through the ranks, Stern was unanimously elected as the fourth commissioner and began his term on February 1, 1984 -- the same year Michael Jordan turned pro. At the start of Stern's tenure, the league was close to bankruptcy. Not only was the NBA losing its fans, it was also tainted by management-labor wars, drug use, and overall conflict.

To say that Stern turned the NBA around would be an understatement. Since 1984, the NBA's revenue has increased by 500% -- quite a difference from the time when at least 17 teams were suffering from financial losses. Drug use in the NBA was rampant? No problem, David's stern approach toward drugs helped rid the NBA of that problem by offering treatment to players who came forward with their addiction (without penalty), and zero tolerance toward those who didn't fess up. Stern's work with the NBA also led to the emergence of the salary cap and the creation of NBA Entertainment.

David Stern is considered the best commissioner in sports -- he and the NBA even survived a lockout and the retirement of Michael Jordan. Stern's major accomplishments include: the addition of NBA franchises; the opening of international offices in Barcelona, Hong Kong, London, Melbourne, Mexico City, Miami, Paris, Singapore, Taiwan, Tokyo, and Toronto; the creation of the WNBA -- the Women's National Basketball Association -- in 1997, which expanded to 10 teams in 1998 and is recognized as one of the most successful launches in sports league history; the creation of the National Basketball Development League; the 1999 launch of NBA.com TV, a 24-hour digital network; and the NBA and WNBA websites, that average nearly 600,000 visitors a day.

Stern is also committed to numerous public service causes that NBA players participate in, such as literacy, child abuse prevention, hunger relief, and the Special Olympics, and he organized the NBA's TeamUp program, which promotes community service.
I mean you think about it.....compared to Rozelle, Tagliabue, and Selig IMO Stern looks like a genius
laugh.gif

real talk, i don't even care about that other stuff. but you wouldn't want to see a league without flopping, bad refs, and tanking teams? those are myproblems, and they're not hard to fix, but they're not even trying to be fixed. that's what i can't get over.

has stern done great things? sure. is he doing great things now? not so much.

1) If they get rid of flopping, then absolutely no defense can be played because of the "offensive friendly" rules...and no way in hell the leaguegoes back to the more physical play that took place in the late 80's - early 90's. Really the way I see it, at no point will people ever be satisfiedwith how the game is played..."it's too rough, or it's not tough enough"

2) Bad officiating exist in every sport...the NBA is no exception. Ever watch a baseball game? If you haven't watch and see how inconsistent the strikezone is....
How many NBA games actually could be determined by the outcome of officiating anyhow without it just being painfully obvious? Players still have to make shots,etc...

3) As far as tanking teams goes....well can you prove it? Nope. Can you blame them? Nope.....
Look at Miami, you can say their tanking cause they shut down their best players who were playing through injuries (while Marion's might be minor, Idon't know...but Wade was obviously not 100%). What incentive do they have to play at this point? Risk further injury...

Stern is not the problem as far as what's wrong with the NBA.
I haven't heard a real legit argument about how he's ruining the NBA...but I'm waiting
laugh.gif

To be real... David Stern is the best commissioner is pro sports. he may not do things that you all like. but whether you like it or not the league was inturmoil after MJ left, and it had a thug image and was searching for a star.

D Stern brought the league back, did some Ballsy things, but the league is in great shape now and we all love it more than ever. So whats wrong with the dude?

Vince Carter.

He optimizes everything I hate. His lazy, a show boater, complains, is selfish, quits, has no heart and would rather drop 30 and lose than win with 15.

smh at you all for not saying the fattest and laziest man in the nba

bdkyhf.jpg

how are you 7 feet tall and get out rebounded by a 5 foot 9 point guard on the regular

Back
Top Bottom