FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by Brandology

IS THIS SITE LEGIT? http://www.republicbike.com/ Are these bikes good quality and are they prone to breaking easily?
They've gotten a shout out in the last Men's Health magazine and Urban Outfitters works with them to make bikes through their website. SoI would say their legit.

I'm looking for a good saddle and peddle cages/straps for my Fuji Track. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by realxfresh

Originally Posted by DL2352

Originally Posted by wrukus

eyes.gif
at dude calling skateboarding a fad. i personally have been skateboarding for 20+ years, and most people i know have skated for close to that long. skateboarding was around before i found it too. what kinda fad lasts that long? i've been riding fixed for 3 years now, and lots of people have been riding longer than that. its called transportation. anyway, here's mine.
Clean
smokin.gif

I have a pair of drops just sitting in my closet collecting dust. What kind of handlebar tape / or grips do you recommend?
for grips oury is the way to go
pimp.gif
yooooooo what are those rims called

Well since my thread is moving slow I have another bike that I'm working on but I was also trying to buy a fixed along with a bmx (
smile.gif
)...It may soundstupid but seeing people ride fixed bent over holding the horned handle bars does that hurt your back after awhile?
Also is just shopping around for individual parts better than buying a stock bike?
Btw damn its me info on where one can purchase such a rim as your front one? I checked the fatlace thinking that was where it was from but didn't see it.

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

Well since my thread is moving slow I have another bike that I'm working on but I was also trying to buy a fixed along with a bmx (
smile.gif
)...It may sound stupid but seeing people ride fixed bent over holding the horned handle bars does that hurt your back after awhile?
Also is just shopping around for individual parts better than buying a stock bike?
Btw damn its me info on where one can purchase such a rim as your front one? I checked the fatlace thinking that was where it was from but didn't see it.
It definately does hurt after awhile. I switched my handle bars to risers because of it
Buying individual parts is the way to go if you have cash, but if not then just buy a stock bike and then replace parts.
Oh his front rim is an aerospoke with a fatlace sticker on it. You can get one on the aerospoke website.

i was out today trying to learn to skid better and wheelie, when this happened
372074583.jpg

372074581.jpg

so now i need a new crank. any suggestions?

and a pic of my bike
372074580.jpg

something i threw together to try out a fixed gear. and i truly love the ride now

For a conversion I'd get something basic like FSA Vero, Pake, or IRO. Maybe Sugino RD's if you wanted to spend a little more.
Real cheap but gets the job done.

Originally Posted by infamous milli

smile.gif
)...It may sound stupid but seeing people ride fixed bent over holding the horned handle bars does that hurt your back after awhile?
It definately does hurt after awhile. I switched my handle bars to risers because of it
Buying individual parts is the way to go if you have cash, but if not then just buy a stock bike and then replace parts.
Oh his front rim is an aerospoke with a fatlace sticker on it. You can get one on the aerospoke website.
Thanks. Ive seen bikes with 56" measurements etc.Being 5'10/11 what would be a good mesurement for me? I havent had a bike in a few yearsso I don't remember any of this.

so now i need a new crank. any suggestions?

Get one that's not made of plasticine this time?

I guess that's an argument for 1/8" rather than 3/32" - the thicker plate wouldn't bend so easily.

Really depends how much you want to spend.

You could get a 105 road chainset on ebay for about $40 - at most. The older ones would work fine with that frame - but you would need a matching Shimano BB togo with it - but they're only about $20. With the ring on the inside of the arms I've found that works pretty well - depends on your rear spacing toothough. I got an old one of those once and hand polished it - took me weeks - and it looked great.

You could get this one for $70 - http://store.somafab.com/paketrackcrank.html

Few choices here - http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html

Thanks. Ive seen bikes with 56" measurements etc.Being 5'10/11 what would be a good mesurement for me? I havent had a bike in a few years so I don't remember any of this.
You'd probably need about a 56cm - but it's more complicated than that. It depends on the geometry of the frame and the stem/bars etc. Youreally need to sit on the bike to make sure it's comfy.

smile.gif

not sure if covered, but its aerospoke- not bad for stability... also 1stwit, id grab some sugino messenger cranks, cheap maybe 120 for cranks andchainring...might need to get a new BB though...always gotta be careful on conversions...
the way i see it, even a track bike isnt really meant to take the tension of a body trying to "skid" (albeit i do it all the time).......so just bemindful of parts and maintenance of your cranks, chainstays, fork, headset, etc. make sure things arent warped and screwed in nice and tight at least onceweekly and be safe!

Originally Posted by The Black James Bond

Originally Posted by k0betw0

no mo brakez!!!

psonic_nb.jpg

where can I get those handlebars and what are its dimensions?

its a 53x52 (top tube)... it sounds like an awkward setup but its very comfortable for me. the risers are cheapo generic risers...

Back
Top Bottom