FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Also if your in the bay area this weekend you dont want to miss this...

3573858683_de63b83f90_o.jpg

I think I'm going to go to this... would you happen to know a Jensen? I think he rides with SJFixed sometimes.

Haha, yeah I know Jensen.

If you come down on sunday I'll see you there. I'll doing the registration.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

it is most definitely a fad. you would be fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. no one was riding these things a few years ago and a few years from now you wont be seeing a ton of them around either. i like the way they look and what not but they are not practical for most. its a trendy thing and like all trendy things it will fade away.
I agree with you to a point. While it has become a lot more popular lately people have been riding fixed gears for ever, you probably just didntnotice. For a lot of the people you see riding it is just a fad, but when the fad fades the posers who dont really ride will stop. There will still be a tonof people who are true riders.

Haha, yeah I know Jensen.

If you come down on sunday I'll see you there. I'll doing the registration.

Cool. I'm on a chrome Bianchi with purple deep-v's. Not sure if I'll be participating in the race though
laugh.gif
. I haven't ridden in a few weeksand I was pretty slow to begin with
laugh.gif
It'd be cool to meet some new heads though

Hey, kilos are great bang for your buck.

And is that a spoke card from the stockton alleycat?

All the super cool white kids at my school are getting these, mainly because they have older siblings in college who ride them. The bikes themselves aren'ta fad, the people who suddenly pick it up because skateboarding is no longer trendy make it a fad. Also, how is it comfortable having to sit that hunched over?

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

All the super cool white kids at my school are getting these, mainly because they have older siblings in college who ride them. The bikes themselves aren't a fad, the people who suddenly pick it up because skateboarding is no longer trendy make it a fad. Also, how is it comfortable having to sit that hunched over?

With the proper setup you wouldnt be hunched over all the time, thats why you see a lot of bikes with riser bars and positive rise stems.
Its actually pretty comfortable to ride with drop bars or bull horns after you get used to it.

and supasteezy's bike is a 50.

tell me why my moms sold my fixed gear at our garage sale for 25 dollars while i was at work
indifferent.gif
full complete setup 500+ into the bike for 25 %%***** dollars
indifferent.gif
just had it painted the week before
smh.gif

Originally Posted by doosta45

tell me why my moms sold my fixed gear at our garage sale for 25 dollars while i was at work
indifferent.gif
full complete setup 500+ into the bike for 25 %%***** dollars
indifferent.gif
just had it painted the week before
smh.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

someone came up.

Hey, kilos are great bang for your buck.

And is that a spoke card from the stockton alleycat?

Yeah that is a Stockton Alleycat spoke card. I went with Justinvincent.

Was hoping to post a question the bike knowledgeable of NT. I ride my bikes all day everyday and love it, I might not be into Fixees but I'm not hating,anyone on a bike is a friend to me.

Now, the handlebars and front fork were recently stolen off my Cannondale: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9QR5.html

I was wondering is it recommendable to build something from that frame and tires or should I just start looking for a new bike?

I am on my other bike, a 1976 Schwinn, so anything will be an improvement, just wanted to hear your guys thoughts.

Thanks

I'm getting ridiculous quotes when I ask shops how much it would be to fix.

Is there a better way to find used parts or other ideas?

so what are the advantages of a fixie vs a road bike with gears? are fixies for enthusiasts? i am asking because would it be practical to commute on a fixie 6miles a day on a generally flat trail?

thanks nt

swoshmn, you basically have two options:
-keep an eye out on craigslist or ebay for a decently priced compatible fork, and get new bars

-Part out the bike, or sell as is

cannondale makes great bikes so I think that its worth keeping, but might not be worth the trouble/work for you.

yeah i don't get all the fascination around fixed gears either. i've never been around bike people so a sudden urge of friends thinkin that fixed gearsare cool is def. sign of trend to me (maybe cause HF rides it?)
someone please school me on it. some of you saying that its a form of transportation, so what makes fixed better than mountain bikes or other bikes? is it justa preference? i cannot imagine not being able to coast coming down a steep steep road and how do you brake?!
i would love to try one.........

Back
Top Bottom