FIXED GEARS

I did that too but kind of got smart right away. I was so close to pulling the trigger on getting a bike at Bikes Direct. I think it went from the Kilo TT to the PK Ripper. Then I happened to get a used Bianchi pista for a decent price and was just not happy with getting something used. Sold that back on Craigslist for the same price I got it for and built a bike from scratch. I like my bike way more doing it that way but it did cost way more. At least over 50% of it I got on Craigslist, so I saved a huge amount on that.

i ended up getting the kilo tt. are these tires made for the regular street? i popped the back one in only 2 days of riding, can anyone recommend good tires to pick up? or a bike forum
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Smokee Robinson

i ended up getting the kilo tt. are these tires made for the regular street? i popped the back one in only 2 days of riding, can anyone recommend good tires to pick up? or a bike forum
laugh.gif

I think people that have liked the Kilo TT still needed to make some basic mods to the bike like with the tires, chain and even crank. I am sure if you just go to a bike store, they can help you out with a better tire.

laugh.gif

I had the same problem with my kiloTT. It turns out they didn't put any rim tape so i would check that or else your tubes will just keep popping.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

laugh.gif

I think people that have liked the Kilo TT still needed to make some basic mods to the bike like with the tires, chain and even crank. I am sure if you just go to a bike store, they can help you out with a better tire.
randonneurs by vittoria last a fair amount of time longer than most commuter tires.  long as you dont get all OD and try and skid to stop at every damn corner
laugh.gif
you'll be fine. 

ill post mine....been ridin a bit now...

no brakes. youll learn. bike breaks you in. the more you ride the more itll come natural and one with it.

my laptop is buggin....

Where can I cop some cheap fixed gear parts for 
my Leader 725tr in the bay area?

I was thinking of checking out the flea markets. 

laugh.gif
Yeah, the tires that come with the kilo are doo doo.
First thing you should get for that bike are tires, some decent pedals and some double straps. Everything else can wait.
- tires I like rondos or gator skins for the rear, and conti ultra sport up front.

- pedals are personal preference most people start off with something cheap like mks sylvans

- double straps are the one part nobody should go cheap on, especially if brakeless. I have toshis and will never buy anything else. One because they last forever, and because they are the best. They're pricey but your safety should be worth it.

Originally Posted by RB925

craigslist and bike forums are your best bet.

since you're from the bay SFFixed and SJFixed.

you can sometime find some decent deals on ebay too.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

laugh.gif
Yeah, the tires that come with the kilo are doo doo.
First thing you should get for that bike are tires, some decent pedals and some double straps. Everything else can wait.
- tires I like rondos or gator skins for the rear, and conti ultra sport up front.

- pedals are personal preference most people start off with something cheap like mks sylvans

- double straps are the one part nobody should go cheap on, especially if brakeless. I have toshis and will never buy anything else. One because they last forever, and because they are the best. They're pricey but your safety should be worth it.
thanks for the help, going to look into everything you mentioned
pimp.gif

Pardon the ninjahood sized pics
laugh.gif

Just took some last pics with a friend before he gets rid of his bike
frown.gif

5773380692_bef283877f_b.jpg

And one of mine after a major downgrade to all of my leftover parts
laugh.gif

5772844611_b9602236f7_b.jpg

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Originally Posted by RB925

craigslist and bike forums are your best bet.

since you're from the bay SFFixed and SJFixed.

you can sometime find some decent deals on ebay too.
Fasho.

5nmdeu.jpg

Just scooped this Aerospoke off the list for $150, hopefully I'll get around to painting it white soon.

Just picked up a Leader 721 frame and a Leader I806a fork among other parts.

I need recommendations on a bottom bracket, zerostack headset, and a crankset. Any help?

^^ It's all budget dependent. Give us a figure and we'll most likely point you in the right direction.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the law for CA regarding bicycles not equipped with brakes. Given, riding a fixed gear with no brake lever visible is probable cause but I've learned that there is a cop here in downtown San Diego who gives tickets to cyclists not having brakes. Not being equipped with brakes visually is similar to that of single-speed beach cruisers (coaster brake). CA VC 21201 states that
(a) No person shall operate a bicycle on a roadway unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make one braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
You could say the hubs are similar visually, but the method of stopping is simply a difference in the amount of effort it takes to stop, right?

Question regarding frame and 700c and 650c wheels

I have a frame with track drop outs, not sure if it makes a difference, but it is a bit too big for me, but I really like it. What things can I do to make it a bit smaller? I was thinking about putting 650c wheels on them, but then I was told the problem with that is that the brakes won't fit. I ride single speed btw, need my breaks. Any other ideas on how to make the bike smaller or better shaped for me? I even thought of shorter crank arms, but still, top tube would still high. Open to opinions.

^^ Riding 650's put the frame closer to the ground, thus lowering your bottom bracket and increasing the likeliness of pedal strike. This is especially significant if both your wheels are 650's. The best thing you can do is downsize your frame, but cheap fixes include slamming your saddle and getting a shorter stem. But for sure, the best investment of your money would be to get a smaller frame. Buy nice or buy twice, they always say.

How's this one as a starter compared to the Kilo TT?

1z54607.jpg

[h4]Details:[/h4]
  • Frame: Schwinn N' Gauged Hi-Ten Track
  • Fork: N Gauged Cro-Mo TIG welded Unicrown s - - Color(s): Black or Pink/White/Green
  • Crank: Schwinn "S" Logo forged alloy with alloy 46T alloy ring
  • Chain: KMC Z-410
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA cartridge sq. JIS taper - - Shifters: n/a Cog Set: 18T freewheel / 18t fixed cog
  • Derailleurs: n/a
  • Rims: Alex DA 13 double wall 32 hole rear 28 hole front
  • Hubs: KT alloy with sealed mechanism flip flop rear
  • Spokes: 14 G stainless
  • Tires: Kenda K193 700X23C
  • Pedals: Kore alloy body trak with stainless steel toe clip & nylon straps
  • Brakes: Radius AS-2.4D alloy road dual pivot caliper
  • Brake Levers: ProMax alloy with reach adjuster - Handlebar: Alloy MTB 20mm riser (black) ; Alloy BMX 20mm rise (pink/wht/green), 25.4
  • Stem: Alloy road 22.2 quill (black) ; Alloy BMX 22.2 quill (pink/wht/green), 25.4
  • Headset: 1 " threaded
  • Grips: Schwinn Slim Line kraton (black) "S" Logo BMX kraton (pink/wht/green)
  • Saddle: Schwinn approved classic road
  • Seat Post: Alloy micro adjust, 25.4
  • Extras: Top tube pad

Back
Top Bottom