FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

This topic has come up a few times in here. Most people in here do wash their poultry before cooking it. But some don’t because there’s science backing up that it’s not absolutely necessary. The heat from the cooking is going to be enough to kill most pathogens, even if the meat isn’t washed.

And also evidence that washing it is worse - by both spreading germs around your kitchen and washing it into parts of the meat that it wouldn't usually be in.

Next we'll be discussing thermometers again....

This topic has come up a few times in here. Most people in here do wash their poultry before cooking it. But some don’t because there’s science backing up that it’s not absolutely necessary. The heat from the cooking is going to be enough to kill most pathogens, even if the meat isn’t washed.
NGL, I've never thought I was rinsing to kill pathogens. I rinse because it's been sitting in packaging and feels nasty. I wash brand new clothes before wearing them, too.

1676050660464.gif

Chicken tastes gross if you don’t wash it with some lemon juice.

Usually bathe my chicken in lemon juice, water and salt and let it sit for like 15 mins

I know that feeling. I was making curry goat and rice and peas, had it all planned out. Went to 4 different stores/markets to get ripe plantain. Finally found some but they weren't sweet yet. Totally killed my plans, took 4 days for them get ripe enough :smh:

The only place around me that consistently has them is Whole Foods and they are never ripe. Like avocados ripening plantains perfectly takes a little bit of knowledge and work.

Not looking down on anyone who wears gloves, just genuinely perplexed.

I think the only situation I'd wear gloves is if I was working with hot peppers.

-spike

the science isn’t wrong.

most people wash soak their chicken out of habit or personal preference. it’s not any safer and it doesn’t taste better. people think the chicken at the store isn’t already washed but it is

I wear gloves for cooking when I have to dredge something in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. That’s pretty much it.

Back
Top Bottom