FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

White people trying to order in Spanish at the taqueria will forever be the most annoying thing.

Order taking extra long because the worker got no idea what the hell they’re trying to say. Everybody else in line behind them rolling their eyes like “here we go again”
That was me and my bro yesterday in Pollo Loco. They took forever and then STILL had the nerve to order/pay a second time for something they forgot. Having convos with the register girl on some “Ooooh my gosh...what sauce do you recommend?” . I would’ve said something to those dudes but one was wearing makeup and yoga pants. The other was in denim overalls. I didn’t want to make the 6 o’clock news.

My background is Caribbean and I grew up with chicken being thoroughly washed with limes. My moms did this every single time.

In modern day I hear that washing chicken is a big no-no because of cross contamination, salmonella, etc etc. I looked it up and surely enough the USDA recommends NOT washing chicken and that's backed by several non-biased studies. I side with science and don't wash my chicken.

BUT it's important to understand WHY my parents washed their chicken (and other meats). If you've ever been to a meat market in the Caribbean you will probably understand why. They slaughter, pluck and cut up the chicken right there on the spot. There is usually a pile of chicken guts on the floor that stray dogs and cats in the market eat to survive. There are no safety codes. There are no health inspectors. So if you're buying chicken from a place like that, it probably made sense to them to wash it before cooking.

Now living in a 1st world country where there are standards and codes and inspectors and what not, these places where meat is processed is helluva lot cleaner than a Caribbean meat market. The USDA can fine the hell out of a company for breaking a code. No such concept existed where my parents grew up.

She washes her chicken out of habit. It's unnecessary (based on science) but if it makes her feel good about it then I'm not going to argue. Let sleeping dogs lie.

My man’s listed all his sting operations….

AVOID ALL THESE PLACES! ⚠️
Glad y'all catching on. Look at all those successful missions.

Mans is Bond, Borne, and Hunt all rolled in to one.

I don't get how Las Vegas even made that list, lol. SanFran is placed ahead of Chicago 🤔
My reasoning for why most cities are on the list not named Chi or Det is due to a significant amount of NYCers living in that city (and making the pizza).

Last edited:
3017FB7F-4F47-4992-A55D-0CF11B2A2CF1.jpeg

Went to this spot t.nite in Hicksville, Long Island, NY called Mithaas. I was craving kebabs or something with meat & was left slightly disappointed when I foundout that this place is all vegetarian. I got the palak paneer & naan. Rest of the family got Gobi Manchuria, hakka noodles & paneer Tikka.

Other than the palak paneer everything was just mediocre at best. Nothing was too terrible but nothing stood out either...just average meh Desi food 🤷. Also got mithai. Again, nothing special minus the pink one. The orange jalebi was fine. Good Indian food but I've had way better.
20230210_185737.jpg
20230210_191423.jpg
20230210_191510.jpg
20230210_191520.jpg
20230210_192440.jpg
20230210_200905.jpg
20230210_201309.jpg

Back
Top Bottom